Dominoes Draft SF1 - Tuppet vs Diarm

Who will win based on all the players at their respective peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

idmanager

Diarm defending if Zambrotta/Boniek is in action

FWIW, I don't see too much of an issue with the defensive side of it.
My concerns are:
1. How much would Kaltz be able to contribute offensively? Not a lot IMO.
2. Is the best player on the side Ronaldinho going to be a game changer or highly effective here against Vogts? Again, IMO no.

The reason I mentioned the defensive aspect was to get the best out of Kaltz offensively without sacrificing defensively.
2 vs 2 flanks is the way to do that obviously but with Seedorf, it only covers the defensive aspect to an extent. Not the offensive aspect which is where I felt it worked in favour of Tuppet.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yeah but I don't think Courtois even makes top 10 in the Premier League era

Schmeichel, Seaman, Van de Sar, Cech, Lehmann, Southall, Nigel Martyn, Alan Kelly, De Gea, Tim Howard, Tim Flowers...
Alan Kelly? That's a bit mental tbh. He was a solid enough keeper and I liked him as he played for Ireland, but he was generally a back up to Packie Bonner and then Shay Given, and played a large chunk of his career in the Championship. Courtois is better without a doubt.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
FWIW, I don't see too much of an issue with the defensive side of it.
My concerns are:
1. How much would Kaltz be able to contribute offensively? Not a lot IMO.
2. Is the best player on the side Ronaldinho going to be a game changer or highly effective here against Vogts? Again, IMO no.

The reason I mentioned the defensive aspect was to get the best out of Kaltz offensively without sacrificing defensively.
2 vs 2 flanks is the way to do that obviously but with Seedorf, it only covers the defensive aspect to an extent. Not the offensive aspect which is where I felt it worked in favour of Tuppet.
The best form of defence is attack!

As a very subjective fan of Kaltz (I picked him in the last draft), I would consider him as the 2nd best offensive German FB behind Brehme. The partnership Kaltz-Batistuta could be interesting.

Vogts could be viewed as the best defensive German FB.

idmanager

As a very subjective fan of Kaltz (I picked him in the last draft), I would consider him as the 2nd best offensive German FB behind Brehme
You just can't resist the digs can u? :lol:
Nah, I don't doubt Kaltz's credentials. I just don't see him dominating the flank (especially offensively) here against what is up against him. Kills an important block of the formation IMO.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
You just can't resist the digs can u? :lol:
Nah, I don't doubt Kaltz's credentials. I just don't see him dominating the flank (especially offensively) here against what is up against him. Kills an important block of the formation IMO.
:D

diarm

Sorry guys I didn't much time to defend this today and to be honest, I suspected it wouldn't have made much difference if I had!

Well done @Tuppet that's a great side you've built. Best of luck in the final!

Thanks @Ecstatic for all the support!

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Alan Kelly? That's a bit mental tbh. He was a solid enough keeper and I liked him as he played for Ireland, but he was generally a back up to Packie Bonner and then Shay Given, and played a large chunk of his career in the Championship. Courtois is better without a doubt.
Sure I was reaching at the end of the list but that emphasizes how little Courtois has impressed whenever I watch him. I really don't think he is anything special for this generation let alone historically. Oblak has done just as well as him for Atletico, and if I can be a little controversial for the summer I predict Woj Szczesny will have a better World Cup than Courtois this summer!

Tuppet

Sure I was reaching at the end of the list but that emphasizes how little Courtois has impressed whenever I watch him. I really don't think he is anything special for this generation let alone historically. Oblak has done just as well as him for Atletico, and if I can be a little controversial for the summer I predict Woj Szczesny will have a better World Cup than Courtois this summer!
Its crazy how little you rate him, I mean Romero had a better International career than De Gea that doesn't mean he is a better goalkeeper. In the same vein Barthez had a better International career than Van Der Sar. You just want to write all of Courtois club career accomplishment away, with the brush that he played in good teams? So does most other good goalkeepers. He won trophies as well individual goalkeeping awards. I would just chalk it up to irrational hatered otherwise its truly bizarre that how little you are rating him.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Its crazy how little rate him, I mean Romero had a better International career than De Gea that doesn't mean he is a better goalkeeper. In the same vein Barthez had a better International career than Van Der Sar. You just want to write all of Courtois club career accomplishment away, with the brush that he played in good teams? So does most other good goalkeepers. He won trophies as well individual goalkeeping awards. I would just chalk it up to irrational hate otherwise its truly bizarre that how little you are rating him.
There has to be context. He has played for, IMO the two best defensive coaches of this generation in Mourinho and Simeone both of whom achieved outstanding defensive records with other keepers in their sides that aren't particularly highly rated historically (like Oblak) so Courtois hardly stands out in his club career. Also, the lad's never impressed me when I watch him. What can I say, we all have irrational biases and its likely you are just irrationally biased for him as I am against. You do seem to be the only one to rate him above Preud'homme. So the truth is probably in between our ratings.

While I don't hate any footballer for just football (the few footballers i "hate" are for reasons not to do with their on pitch achievements) it is definitely true that how poor Courtois looked to me in the FA Cup last Spring is much more fresh in my mind than the match Enigma referenced earlier (of which I have no special memories of the young lad).

And like I said lets see this summer. Perhaps when Woj outperforms him this summer my controversial take will be vindicated as I don't rate Courtois above Woj or Oblak.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Its crazy how little you rate him, I mean Romero had a better International career than De Gea that doesn't mean he is a better goalkeeper. In the same vein Barthez had a better International career than Van Der Sar. You just want to write all of Courtois club career accomplishment away, with the brush that he played in good teams? So does most other good goalkeepers. He won trophies as well individual goalkeeping awards. I would just chalk it up to irrational hatered otherwise its truly bizarre that how little you are rating him.
He knows very well the former Arsenal GK Woj Szczesny: maybe it's you who underrate the Polish GK :D

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
:drool: Ronaldo against the children Buffon, Cannavaro, Veron, Crespo, Thuram, Sensini...

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I'm just happy there's been a debate about Alan Kelly in an all-time draft :D. It's all good, we all have our players that we rate much higher or lower than the norm.