Draft About Nothing - R1: EAP vs Berba

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Edgar
Formation: WM / 3-2-2-3

Tactics: Compact defence, quick transition to overwhelming attack.

Writeup: Tl;dr version

Compact Defence with complementary and versatile players. Balanced offence and enough bodies in middle to dominate opposition. Complimentary offence with all players capable of creating for others and scoring for themselves.

Writeup: Full version

Defence:

.........Igor Netto......Sergio Busquets.....
Cesare Maldini...Matthias Sammer...Berti Vogts

A compact defensive line with 3 well rounded and versatile players. Cesare and Vogts will be predominantly a defensive fullback duo with Sammer moving between attack and defence as the game dictates. Both Maldini and Vogts have experience playing fullback on respective sides help the setup greatly.

Netto is a classic halfback who was excellent defensively and still had a widespread attacking contribution. Busquets is master at reading the game, intercepting passes and recycling possession. Between their complimentary skills, they provide a tight shield to support the back 3. Fact that both of them also have played in Defence helps greatly to create a well meshed and fluid defence.

All of my attackers also have good reputation of dropping back to support in defensive phase of game.

Attack:

...Zagallo......Torres.....Kalle.....
........Liedholm.....Xavi.............

With Sammer, Netto and Busquets providing a stable platform to launch attacks themselves or assist in transitiong from the deep, out attack has lots of options to score. No introduction needed for Xavi. Liedholm is a lot more direct player than Iniesta, but has lots of overlaps too...high workrate, ability to drop back and orchestrate from the deep, defensive contribution etc.

Zagallo was a technical forward with high defensive workrate. Torres (of Liverpool circa 2007-10) was a complete CF and terror to most defenders. Pace, dribbling, shooting, creating for others..he had it all. A short peak, but was one of the best CFs at his peak as showcased by 3rd in Balon d'Or after Cristiano and Messi. No intro needed for Kalle. A double Balon d'Or who's comfortable at as both center and right forward completes the attack.

Berba
ABOUT THIS FORMATION
I am playing a very simple 4-4-2.

A strong solid back 4.
Two major engines in Keane and Essian, enough to bully any midfield on the right i have di livio you will be up and down more times than a w****s knickers.

the left side is where it is exciting lizarazu and giggs is enough to scare any side and there will be many chance to force EAP back via there speed and adventure, there crosses and balls into the box will be met by two of the greatest strikers of all time in Raul and Ibrahimovic, two very contrasting forwards who would make an exceptional partnership and create goals galore

I have tried to build a team full of leaders and full of winners and I have done that in abundence.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

edgar team is just insane, what have we done!?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@berbasloth4 Did Zlatan ever play with a creative second striker type like Raul? My intuition is that they wouldn't gel well and occupy similar spaces

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
This after coming back from Barca? Did it work well? I really don't remember
It was during 2004-06 seasons. The scandal seasons. Did work well.

Had a fairly good partnership with Cavani as well (think has closer resemblance to Raul than Del Piero does)

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Statistically that was one of his weakest seasons all career with 10 goals from 47 games all of 2005 season. Not saying they'd be dysfunctional, but this is a pairing that would not get the best of both. They have lot of overlaps.
Is the 10 goals from 47 from the games they both played in together? If you just look at both their individual scoring records for that season in the league it is 30 in 65 games

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Is the 10 goals from 47 from the games they both played in together? If you just look at both their individual scoring records for that season in the league it is 30 in 65 games
Individually for Zlatan - 10 goals from 47 games. It shows it's not really his best suited setup.

Plus he has two forwards in middle against 5 defenders in same area.

Going purely by formations, berba will have joy in wings but without possession in middle, it'll mostly be counters and having enough bodies in box to cover the two forwards I've mitigated the recipients of the criss adequately.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Individually for Zlatan - 10 goals from 47 games. It shows it's not really his best suited setup.
Just going through wiki -

Won Serie A foreign player of the year in 2004-05.

This is what wiki says about 2005-06

The following season was poor compared to his first season; his role in Juventus' attack changed, as he became less of a goalscorer and moved more to the sidelines, taking much part in the build-up play, especially as a target player, and his assist numbers increased

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Just going through wiki -

Won Serie A foreign player of the year in 2004-05.

This is what wiki says about 2005-06

The following season was poor compared to his first season; his role in Juventus' attack changed, as he became less of a goalscorer and moved more to the sidelines, taking much part in the build-up play, especially as a target player, and his assist numbers increased
In context of Zlatan's career, that is still a low point, if not the lowest.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Can you put the team names on top of the formation graphics

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Quite like both sides.

EAP with an actual functional WM and Berba with 2 complete engines in CM and Giggs in his classic position which he never gets enough credit for.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
edgar vs berba so its edgar first and berba second....thought that part is obvious
It's not though,thats why I asked. We normally do it that's all and makes it easier to identify managers teams.

Šjor Bepo

It's not though,thats why I asked. We normally do it that's all and makes it easier to identify managers teams.
will still leave it, if you dont get it at least you will go through the textual tactics so maybe some read that as well.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't rate Zlatan so high as others, but actually like his partnership with Raul. Solid midfield too, although would prefer someone more creative alongside Essien or Keane. Giggs is also fully in his element.

On the other side, can't look past that midfield of EAP. Then you add Kalle, Sammer and Yashin on top. Impressive team considering all the feck ups out there while drafting.

berbasloth4

i believe on here keane creativeness and passing ability is majorly underrated. Rooney said he best passer he ever played with.

i do agree eap probably has more talented players but do they work as hard as mine? do they fight as much as mine? C. Ronaldo moght just be the greatest of all time but i would take 11 roy keanes over 11 ronaldos all day long.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
i do agree eap probably has more talented players but do they work as hard as mine? do they fight as much as mine? C. Ronaldo moght just be the greatest of all time but i would take 11 roy keanes over 11 ronaldos all day long.
Wut? Who in my team do you consider as non hard working? :confused:

My midfield is more than sufficient to contain and overwhelm yours, not just by numbers but also by quality. Add in Sammer, Kalle and Zagallo and it's just one sided in my favor. Torres is no luxury player either.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
i believe on here keane creativeness and passing ability is majorly underrated. Rooney said he best passer he ever played with.

The quality of Keane's passing does tend to get overlooked a bit. He's tailor-made to get the ball quickly and accurately to Giggs and your two creative strikers. You've put together a very good 4-4-2 midfield really.

We've somehow allowed Edgar to draft one of the strongest first round teams though :rolleyes:. Only thing I don't really get is the "quick transitions" element of his tactics. Surely with the bedrock of tiki-taka in Busquets and Xavi, a CF who did well in that system, and other quality possession-players like Liedholm, a patient, possession-heavy buildup is the way to go?