Draft About Nothing - R1: Isotope vs Physiocrat

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Isotope
General Tactic

Having two of the greatest Forwards that combined skill and pace, will force opponent defense to sit deep. This allows one of the best creative playmaker, Raymond Kopa, to operate between the gap. Solid defence and protection by compacted midfield are there to suffocate opponent of any creativity.

Bernhard Cullmann. Legend of FC Köln, in the 70s played in midfield and defence when they're one of the best team in Bundesliga. He was in the Germany NT squad when they were one of the best NT team on that era. He won WC 1974 and Euro 1980, and was also involved in WC 1978. Kicker had him in Bundesliga 1972/73 Team of the Season.

Rodrigo Palacio. Supposedly a sheep, undoubtedly he's the Cream of Sheep. Individual achievement included South American Team of the Year: 2005, 2006.

G. Zambrotta (1999-2003). He made international debut in 1999 in a friendly against Norway and played at UEFA EURO 2000 and FIFA World Cup 2002, showing his capability as tenacious winger.

Thanks, folks.

Physio
Formation - 433

Defensive Line - Normal

Marking - Zonal

Style - counter attacking through Overath, Batista and Tresor's passing unleashing Robben and Blokhin. The devastating pace and dribbling of these two will create loads of chances for the most clinical striker in history, Der Bomber. The front three are highly industrious so will engage in counter-pressing to allow the rest of the team to get back into their positions for the defensive phase.

We have left the bus in the previous game.

Info on some lesser known players -

Jimmy Armfield - has great chest hair and was one of the first overlapping right-backs. Had good positioning and was a strong tackler. Hailed as "the best right back in the world" during the 1962 World Cup. Also voted the best right back in Europe between 1962 and 1964.

Sergio Batista - The defensive shield for Argentina's 1986 World Cup winning side. An excellent reader of the game, solid tackler and a tidy passer.

Paolo Montero - Uruguay legend playing for them for 14 years. Considered by Giggs and Ferrara to be the "toughest defender they played against". Not only was he a combative and tenacious defender who was also an intelligent defender and skilful on the ball.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Isotope What system are you playing. It looks like a sort of 343 diamond but can't make it out. Also possibly more importantly how are you setting up in the defensive phase?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Palacio :lol: Looks even more out of place than Faubert did in my front line. Don't remember much about Cullmann even though I've seen a few games with him.
Lovely team from Iso, but it lacks midfield.

As for Physio, I like this more than 4-4-1, even Litti looks better for me even though he's playing throughout the center. I rate Iso's defence a bit higher and the attacks are quite close (counting Kopa as a third man, not Palacio), but Physio's team looks like a well-oiled machine and Iso's team still needs to have some work done. Edging towards Physio at the moment.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Just some info on my lesser known players if you didn't catch it the last time.

Paolo Montero

For those unfamiliar with him see this-

I'd like to highlight Batista to start. he was an intelligent and defensively astute player who was good on the ball and would be able to send the ball forward quickly and accurately in counters.

Clearly my best passer in midfield is Overath. Often underatted relative to Netzer but he was a complete midfielder with excellent passing and dogged defensive contribution. He's a highlights video of him at World Cups and imagine him supplying Blokhin, Robben and Muller.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Team Physio looks miles better from last game. Probably would have won with this setup in the first game.

I still don't like the counter attacking style. Granted there is a lot of pace there, but the rest of the team hardly gives the counter attacking feel to me. Lots of creativity there and I'd have played on the front foot.

For team Iso, it's a case of what could have been if not for the sheep. That looks like a brilliant 3-5-2 in the making. Don't know why Seedorf doesn't start. The midfield badly needs him.

Have to go with Physio here. No question in my mind that he would have lost my vote if not for Iso's sheep. 3-5-2 with brilliant wide defending CB's (Cannavaro/Ferrara) does seem to be the Kryptonite of a Robben/Blokhin attack.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I thought you have to use all your players in the next two games? I was expecting Physio to use his lesser players.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Seedorf must have started instead of Palacio as that midfield really needs more bodies in the middle. Cullman has way too much to handle to control the midfield.

Henry-Puskas is awesome though both preferred to operate from left of the box. Still they'd cause a lot of problems to Physio's defence whenever they get the ball to Kopa.

Seedorf on the bench is the tipping point for me.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I thought you have to use all your players in the next two games? I was expecting Physio to use his lesser players.
this counts as first game, you are just unlucky that physio made a final of his first round game because most if not all used their sheeps in first game so if we did counted this as the second game you would be screwed against any other team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
this counts as first game, you are just unlucky that physio made a final of his first round game because most if not all used their sheeps in first game so if we did counted this as the second game you would be screwed against any other team.
Fair enough. What's the point of progressing if you have to use two weak players later in your team @Physiocrat, when everyone else are strengthening then?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And why Littbarski in midfield 3? any example? is this later on his career when he's not that good anymore??

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Fair enough. What's the point of progressing if you have to use two weak players later in your team @Physiocrat, when everyone else are strengthening then?
Everyone who has weaker player have this dilemma, play now and risk a win or play later and risk 2nd round win. I personally prefer the later as we can get better quality players in reinforcements and can buffer the weaker player better in R2. But then up to the managers and the team....

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Everyone who has weaker player have this dilemma, play now and risk a win or play later and risk 2nd round win. I personally prefer the later as we can get better quality players in reinforcements and can buffer the weaker player better in R2. But then up to the managers and the team....
Yeh, I could see that with hiding one player. But he has two. And even with this strongest team, he has so many in midfield and defence that could do upgrading.

But then with these draft committees, my thinking could also get thrown out of the window, and you and Physio have the best strategy. Who knows what other evil plans they have.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
And why Littbarski in midfield 3? any example? is this later on his career when he's not that good anymore??
He played in a midfield three in Germany's 1990 World Cup winning side. It was a different setup to this as he played in a 352 but he has the experience in a similar position. Further he was a versatile player who played left, right and centre. He's the most attacking of the midfield three who will drive forward using his dribbling ability.

My reasoning for keeping certain players on the bench was that given by EAP.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think it was the first 2 rounds. Actually it was a brilliant moment for Physio to take advantage of the rule and spread his weak players over 3 games instead of just 2.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think it was the first 2 rounds. Actually it was a brilliant moment for Physio to take advantage of the rule and spread his weak players over 3 games instead of just 2.
I wasn't in a taking advantage of the rule mood and also I expected this to be a lot closer than it is.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He played in a midfield three in Germany's 1990 World Cup winning side. It was a different setup to this as he played in a 352 but he has the experience in a similar position. Further he was a versatile player who played left, right and centre. He's the most attacking of the midfield three who will drive forward using his dribbling ability.

My reasoning for keeping certain players on the bench was that given by EAP.
You're right about Littbarski then. Well, I'd even vote for yours with the team you have, man :D. Devastating attack and good midfield.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
You're right about Littbarski then. Well, I'd even vote for yours with the team you have, man :D. Devastating attack and good midfield.
What were you going for with your line-up? 343 diamond? It looks rather odd.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What were you going for with your line-up? 343 diamond? It looks rather odd.
Why? It's 343 with Vasovic dropping deep if necessary when Cabrini went attacking. Just like Edmilson.

Last edited: