Dusan Vlahovic / signs for Juventus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is the problem for teams like Spurs and Arsenal. All the top players will be snapped up by the richest clubs.
I think they had the chance but the player clearly wasn’t interested. Only now has juve become interested suddenly movement has happened.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think they had the chance but the player clearly wasn’t interested. Only now has juve become interested suddenly movement has happened.
Talk was Juve was always his first choice for ages, so much that his agent had basically gave their word to Juve he would sign, either by a free transfer or earlier of Juve could come to some sort of agreement. The Arsenal offers probably put pressure on Juve to get the deal done earlier than they had planned.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
67m seems a fair price

He is Serie A proven, so i guess he will have no issue scoring in Italy, will be useful for Juve to compete for the league again.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Absolutely love how Arsenal fans thought he was theirs :lol:

Nordmore

We have one of the best finishers in the league playing quite some way away from goal to accommodate Ronaldo. Mason was learning from Cavani and we should be thinking of a formation that gets Mason closer to goal and allows him to improve. He doesn’t have to be a typical number 9 but Jesus we are misusing him.

Saves us €50 million on what will inevitably be a substandard panic buy. Then buy back up options types as a plan “b”.
Pretty bang on imo.

At least give him a run as a #9 first before spending the +50m. Greenwood was playing as our #9 in August and scored a goal a game.

R'hllor

On one side, staying in the same league, on other side he will be on less wages with less of a league challenge, meh move for me.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
On one side, staying in the same league, on other side he will be on less wages with less of a league challenge, meh move for me.
He will bag a few trophies, a lot of tactical nouse and international tests before entering his prime and moving to greener pastures three years down the line. Why choose a mid-table PL team then?

Telsim

Extremely disappointed by the news. We weren't even in it. Also passed on Alvarez. inb4 we go for 35-year-old Benzema in the summer. Or Vardy.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Extremely disappointed by the news. We weren't even in it. Also passed on Alvarez. inb4 we go for 35-year-old Benzema in the summer. Or Vardy.
35 years old Benzema + 37 years old Ronaldo.

Seems like a good geriatric combo.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I really really like this player. If we got him it would feel like we're getting a Napoli level Cavani :(

Adam-Utd

Italian strikers rarely travel well. I'm not surprised we're a bit cautious about this one.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Italian strikers rarely travel well. I'm not surprised we're a bit cautious about this one.
I know what you meant, but he's not Italian. And it's not as if he's 27 or 28 and has spent 10 years in Seria A. He's young enough to adapt to any new league he decides to play in.

Irrelevant anyway, he's off to Juve.

Adam-Utd

I know what you meant, but he's not Italian. And it's not as if he's 27 or 28 and has spent 10 years in Seria A. He's young enough to adapt to any new league he decides to play in.

Irrelevant anyway, he's off to Juve.
True point.

I think he's definitely a bit over rated in here, but looks a solid player. 70m euros is a big chunk for a 1 season wonder though.

Big boys usually do well in Italy though, even Tammy Abraham is scoring at a fair rate!

Corridor of Uncertainty

True point.

I think he's definitely a bit over rated in here, but looks a solid player. 70m euros is a big chunk for a 1 season wonder though.

Big boys usually do well in Italy though, even Tammy Abraham is scoring at a fair rate!
That's very true :lol:

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
It’s a shame for Arsenal that we missed out on him. But seeing as he’s young, Serbian and playing in Italy there is really zero reason for him to choose us over Juve at the moment.

He does seem to be massively over performing xG, so that might come down over time. And there are some doubts about his all round game.

But those are probably just things I’m pointing out to make myself feel better.

slored1

How did Juve get the money? Thought they were financially fecked?

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
I think Vlahovic to Juventus could lead to an interesting chain reaction.

Juventus are now probably looking to get rid of Morata (I think Barcelona has been interested previously). Fiorentina apparently wants to replace Vlahovic with Arthur Cabral who currently plays for Basel. Would obviously suck for us from a sporting perspective, but we need the cash.

Pep's Suit

From 'we need Super League to survive' to spending so much money on one player. Interesting. I don't know... he's a fine talent but in my eyes shouldn't cost more than €40-50m right now.

Pintu

How did Juve get the money? Thought they were financially fecked?
Ronaldo suddenly decided to bail out. He left and the 60 M that his salary would have costed this season disappeared.

From 'we need Super League to survive' to spending so much money on one player. Interesting. I don't know...
That was about survival at the top for the 12 clubs. Not survival as a club.

In the next 10 years as english clubs get richer and richer (N’Castle, City, and the next regime or oligarch..) the PL financial power will kill the other leagues slowly.

Last edited:

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Ronaldo suddenly decided to bail out. He left and the 60 M that his salary would have costed this season disappeared.

That was about survival at the top for the 12 clubs. Not survival as a club.

In the next 10 years as english clubs get richer and richer (N’Castle, City, and the next regime or oligarch..) the PL financial power will kill the other leagues slowly.
But, has this not been the case for the past 10 years? Doesn't always pan out like that. Look at Mbappe and Haaland. Doesn't matter how much money the prem has, if they want to go to Madrid.

Not to mention some of the deals which happen inter-league in other leagues. Juves deals for Chiesa and Locatelli.. they are mad. If City went to West Ham and said, we want Rice, we'll offer you a two year loan and £30m, West Ham would say get lost.

Bayern can easily sign anyone they want in their league, PSG too.

Not to mention that if a big prem club goes calling for a player from another league, they're already quoted more money.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
But, has this not been the case for the past 10 years? Doesn't always pan out like that. Look at Mbappe and Haaland. Doesn't matter how much money the prem has, if they want to go to Madrid.

Not to mention some of the deals which happen inter-league in other leagues. Juves deals for Chiesa and Locatelli.. they are mad. If City went to West Ham and said, we want Rice, we'll offer you a two year loan and £30m, West Ham would say get lost.

Not to mention that if a big prem club goes calling for a player from another league, they're already quoted more money.
You know, while the super top players may have an incentive to go to the PL right now, why should younger or second tier ones? Life is better in Spain, Italy or France, money pretty good as well and the football less demanding. At the end of the day, careers are short and YOLO is as real as you can get for footballers. Even English footballers are really starting to appreciate a move abroad.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
You know, while the super top players may have an incentive to go to the PL right now, why should younger or second tier ones? Life is better in Spain, Italy or France, money pretty good as well and the football less demanding. At the end of the day, careers are short and YOLO is as real as you can get for footballers. Even English footballers are really starting to appreciate a move abroad.
Yh agree. There's some benefits to the prem for sure, but there's other factors to consider.

To anyone who thinks the superleague was just a counter to the prems money is kidding themselves a bit. There's no reason other top teams can't keep competing. The issue is more the competition in their own leagues.

Besides, I have no sympathy to a club who gives Ramsey and Rabiot 300-400k a week deals. Or a Barca who give squad players 200k and top players 800k. It's madness.

passing-wind

Expensive fee for a player who's played well for a season.

I personally don't see the hype from having observed a handful of performances. Good finisher but not enough in his all around game, he will require massive support from the midfield / creative players to get things going and from what I understand Juve's midfield is struggling for chance creation at this present moment in time.

I think Isak is a better signing for the likes of Arsenal due to his overall game.

Pintu

Yes Madrid, Bayern and Paris (maybe Barcelona), these 3 clubs are going to resist longer than anyone else. But at the end Paris is crippled by the league and the other 3 will hit a ceiling when the next PL TV rights goes for even more and more money.

I live in Sweden and I have seen over the last 6/7 years how Viasat went from first abandoning most European leagues to now abandoning the CL and focusing on promoting English football in ridiculous proportions, the Swedish kids will know West Ham and Leicester more than our own clubs and definitely more than Bayern and Juventus.

There are huge financial interests around the world invested in the PL that its promotion is vital to them. And if this continues the PL will become the defacto Superleague, no doubt about it.

This is meaningless. West Ham can afford to do that because a 16th place finish will still guarantee them more money than what the winner of any other league gets. When a player is determined to only go to one club you have no other choice but to sell to that club. And both Sassuolo and Fiorentina got the same money for Locatelli and Chiesa as they could have gotten from abroad.

Chiesa deal gave Fiorentina 12 M loan fee and a 50 M guaranteed and they have spent that money on players. Look at their team before and after. They've bought Gonzalez (24 M fron Stutgart), they bought Ikoné (15 M from Lille), Quarta (10M from River) and they did mistakes spending another 30 M on others.

We can do the same for Cagliari and look at the Barrella deal, he was sold to Inter via the same formula. The money (even though theoretically deffered) allowed Cagliari to bring Nandez(17 M from Boca), Marin (10 M from Ajax) Pereiro (5M form PSV) and other players.

Normally these clubs can't afford this much investment.

Not really. Most players in BL would rather go to Bayern but it is not as easy.

Both Juventus and Inter wanted to pay more money for Salah but Roma never considered it. They'd rather sell to Liverpool at lower price. And it made sense to lose 5 M at the time -especially rejecting Inter- because Roma was an established top 4 team and Inter was trying to break in.

What I am saying is the future looks darker for those leagues because English football has already taken most of the world's top managers and will keep paying higher and higher wages until it becomes impossible for other clubs to compete.

Juventus gave Ramsey and Rabiot insane wages, not because they deserved them but because they could have had them in England. But Juventus can afford it, they are still in Europe's top 10 clubs thanks to Adidas, Allianz and other sponsors. The other clubs in Italy not so much, they are always 2 or 3 bad investments away from deep trouble.

Last edited:

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Yes Madrid, Bayern and Paris (maybe Barcelona), these 3 clubs are going to resist longer than anyone else. But at the end Paris is crippled by the league and the other 3 will hit a ceiling when the next PL TV rights goes for even more and more money.

I live in Sweden and I have seen over the last 6/7 years how Viasat went from first abandoning most European leagues to now abandoning the CL and focusing on promoting English football in ridiculous proportions, the Swedish kids will know West Ham and Leicester more than our own clubs and definitely more than Bayern and Juventus.

There are huge financial interests around the world invested in the PL that its promotion is vital to them. And if this continues the PL will become the defacto Superleague, no doubt about it.

This is meaningless. West Ham can afford to do that because a 16th place finish will still guarantee them more money than what the winner of any other league gets. When a player is determined to only go to one club you have no other choice but to sell to that club. And both Sassuolo and Fiorentina got the same money for Locatelli and Chiesa as they could have gotten from abroad.

Chiesa deal gave Fiorentina 12 M loan fee and a 50 M guaranteed and they have spent that money on players. Look at their team before and after. They've bought Gonzalez (24 M fron Stutgart), they bought Ikoné (15 M from Lille), Quarta (10M from River) and they did mistakes spending another 30 M on others.

We can do the same for Cagliari and look at the Barrella deal, he was sold to Inter via the same formula. The money (even though theoretically deffered) allowed Cagliari to bring Nandez(17 M from Boca), Marin (10 M from Ajax) Pereiro (5M form PSV) and other players.

Normally these clubs can't afford this much investment.

Not really. Most players in BL would rather go to Bayern but it is not as easy.

Both Juventus and Inter wanted to pay more money for Salah but Roma never considered it. They'd rather sell to Liverpool at lower price. And it made sense to lose 5 M at the time -especially rejecting Inter- because Roma was an established top 4 team and Inter was trying to break in.

What I am saying is the future looks darker for those leagues because English football has already taken most of the world's top managers and will keep paying higher and higher wages until it becomes impossible for other clubs to compete.

Juventus gave Ramsey and Rabiot insane wages, not because they deserved them but because they could have had them in England. But Juventus can afford it, they are still in Europe's top 10 clubs thanks to Adidas, Allianz and other sponsors. The other clubs in Italy not so much, they are always 2 or 3 bad investments away from deep trouble.
That's unfortunate for the first part. I guess it's just supply and demand, but it's frustrating i'm sure.

And yep my point is, the counter to West Ham having so much money is, you'll find prem sides don't need to sell players to other top prem sides unless it's a mad offer. It balances it a bit with regards to competition within the league.

And nope not true with regards to wages. Arsenal refused to give him big wages (Ramsey). Prem teams don't really give out 400k to average squad players. Barely anyone in the league has 400k wage. 800k just won't happen in the prem.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Arsenal being shit will never get old because of how quick their fans are to give it the big 'un when the tiniest thing even appears to go right for them. :lol:

Pintu

That's unfortunate for the first part. I guess it's just supply and demand, but it's frustrating i'm sure.
It is not supply and demand. It is supply deciding what the demand is. Viasat (the owner NENT) is losing money on the short term because they invested insane money on the PL. There is no way that 6 year deal is profitable for them on the short term. But it might become profitable in 3/4 years if the PL reaches the status we are expecting it to reach in Sweden. And there are many initiatives around the PL, including fantasy games FPL and FIFA EA Sports, contributing to the promotion of the PL. So it is not a stupid bet.

When Mansour bought City, the Abu Dhabi sports group bought PL tv rights for the middle east -knowing they were losing money- and they drove the prices up, they kept driving them up and BeIN had to buy them at a much higher price the next time.

And yep my point is, the counter to West Ham having so much money is, you'll find prem sides don't need to sell players to other top prem sides unless it's a mad offer. It balances it a bit with regards to competition within the league.
Sassuolo and Fiorentina are slowly building teams with limited means. Atlatna in the summer beat Roma and Napoli to Koopmeiners. I don't think the competition is weakened by clubs bringing talent from abroad instead of keeping their own players.
Bologna did great business bringing players from Scottland, Netherland... Sampdoria has Danmark's most exciting player and other clubs keep bringing great talents from europe and south america.

And nope not true with regards to wages. Arsenal refused to give him big wages (Ramsey). Prem teams don't really give out 400k to average squad players. Barely anyone in the league has 400k wage. 800k just won't happen in the prem.
400 k is a myth. It is around 230 K. Ramsey is making 7M euros after tax. That is £5,8M. Now convert that into weekly salary it is around 115k. And now make it gross. It amounts to around 230 K.

230 K is very high in Italy. Established PL players are out of reach for everyone. Dzeko took a wage cut because his family wanted Rome and it still was an immense investment for Roma. Juventus normally only gives this to established players. Ramsey and Rabiot getting it is insane. But many pay this in England. You certainly paid him close to that money.

I think Ramsey wanted the experience (and the trophies / Juve was Serie A favourites and close to CL challenger status) and I think he could have gone for 150k, but the fact that Arsenal offered him 180/200 K forced Juve to bid more than that.

I think Rabiot was also on Barcelona's radar, so not entirely PL's fault.

Last edited:

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Expensive fee for a player who's played well for a season.

I personally don't see the hype from having observed a handful of performances. Good finisher but not enough in his all around game, he will require massive support from the midfield / creative players to get things going and from what I understand Juve's midfield is struggling for chance creation at this present moment in time.

I think Isak is a better signing for the likes of Arsenal due to his overall game.
This. Isak has a very high ceiling and if he wants to play for Arsenal, I think that would make it best suited to the squad. Vlahovic looked like problems in terms of his commitment.

MUFC OK

Oh well that makes me feel better then
If he’s averaging 40 goals a season we can revisit. But Cavani plays like a warrior, Vlahovic is a beast physically but would like to see him put that to better use, especially in the air - only 4 of 49 goals have been headers.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Great signing for Juventus. Balkan Beast!!
He's already well settled in Italy.

If he’s averaging 40 goals a season we can revisit. But Cavani plays like a warrior, Vlahovic is a beast physically but would like to see him put that to better use, especially in the air - only 4 of 49 goals have been headers.

Not many modern forwards are good in the air though.

Even Haaland isn't good in the air.

Saw a stat of the most headed goals by player ffom this generation. The top 4 was Ronaldo, Lewy, L.De Jong and Fernando Llorente in that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.