Eckersley > Simpson

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
None, based on what I've seen.

And Simpson did very well at Sunderland.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I haven't seen a whole lot of Eckeresley, but he does seem to have a lot of potential though. I have seen Simpson a lot more, particularly for Sunderland last year, and he looks like he can make it.

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Danny Simpson has been playing at left back a lot. I don´t rate him at all in that position, he´s a right back.

Saying that, Eckersley is very talented. Certainly better than his brother.

sincher

Put it this way - Eckersley needs to work on his positional sense. A lot.

PS18

Eck has come on in leaps and bounds and is keeping Simpson out of the RB position on merit.
not buying that at all, simply not the case. Eckersley is like his brother - solid, committed but never going to be good enough for the first team. Simpson has that bit extra that suggests he just might be, as he's shown in all bar one of his first team appearances so far. pretty unfair to compare them on reserve appearances this season considering Simo has been in and out of the first team squad, meaning his reserve appearances have been relatively sporadic and generally out of position.

RedPhil1957

not buying that at all, simply not the case. Eckersley is like his brother - solid, committed but never going to be good enough for the first team. Simpson has that bit extra that suggests he just might be, as he's shown in all bar one of his first team appearances so far. pretty unfair to compare them on reserve appearances this season considering Simo has been in and out of the first team squad, meaning his reserve appearances have been relatively sporadic and generally out of position.

perhap that is fair but in the last few weeks he has played in most games and has been very poor at LB and only a bit better at RB. Eckersley junior is better than his brother and at present playing much better than Simpson. Both are not good enough at present thats for sure.
Eagles is still improving and getting stronger, played more central today which I think is his best position.

Virtuoso

Just struck me. If I was asked to name the most impressive RB in the reserves this season, it wouldn't be Danny Simpson.

Anyone else agree?

Any chance of another ginger in the first-team one day?
Yep, on the basis of this season for sure which is a real shame on Simpson's part as it could have really been his breakthrough season with Neville being injured for so long.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
perhap that is fair but in the last few weeks he has played in most games and has been very poor at LB and only a bit better at RB. Eckersley junior is better than his brother and at present playing much better than Simpson. Both are not good enough at present thats for sure.
Eagles is still improving and getting stronger, played more central today which I think is his best position.
That's pretty much exactly the way I see it. I don't think either of them have looked like potential first-team players this season but only one of them appears to have improved his game and it ain't Simmo.

Agree about Eagles too. He is by far our best reserves player all season. Head and shoulders better than everyone else out there. If anyone is gonna make the step up, it's him.

PS18

Simpson has been in and around the first team squad for large parts of the season. i think it's a bit naive to say he hasn't improved simply based on his sporadic appearances out of position for the reserve team - reserve football is abysmal now and subconsciously players like Simo and Piqué are probably going to struggle to re-adapt to those circumstances after having been playing in the Premier League and Champions League. without watching him in training, the only real way of judging Simpson's season and any improvement is on how well he's done with the first team, and bar the Everton game he's done well. i struggle to see Eckersley being given even the limited chances Simpson has had, and i'd wager good money Simpson will go on to have the better career.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just seen "the Eck" training with the first-team squad in the training photos thread.

Anyone else think he might do a better job than Fletcher at RB, assuming Gaz fails a late fitness test?

Even if he can do as good a job as Fletcher, wouldn't it make sense to give Fletcher (or Scholes) the day off, with so many games in the next few days?

lysglimt

Scout
Eckersley is much better than his brother - he is actually a very talenter defender who can go pretty far (although I doubt he can make it at United - but I don't think Simpson has much chance either)

IMO Ecks has been maybe one of 2-3 best players for the reserves during the last 12 months - and certainly a lot better than Chester who has had a few really bad matches

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Eckersley is much better than his brother - he is actually a very talenter defender who can go pretty far (although I doubt he can make it at United - but I don't think Simpson has much chance either)

IMO Ecks has been maybe one of 2-3 best players for the reserves during the last 12 months - and certainly a lot better than Chester who has had a few really bad matches
Chester was probably our most consistent Reserve team player last season.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Just seen "the Eck" training with the first-team squad in the training photos thread.

Anyone else think he might do a better job than Fletcher at RB, assuming Gaz fails a late fitness test?

Even if he can do as good a job as Fletcher, wouldn't it make sense to give Fletcher (or Scholes) the day off, with so many games in the next few days?
I think Fletch has done a cracking job at right back when played there. Good attacking threat too. Eckersley on the left however...I dunno what the deal is with Fabio, whether he's fit enough or inspires enough confidence with his defending. If he isn't/doesn't then we could do worse than try Eckersley out. Although isn't he just back from injury too?

sincher

I'd play Fletcher in midfield against Spurs, as they may play with 5 in there.

Fabio would be more obvious than Eckersley, but I'd prefer Eckersley at RB in ahead of Chester in the centre.

Longlivekeano

I've seen Fergie converted left midfielders into left backs before & so I wont be surprised if he does so again with Fletcher.

- Fergie has played Sharpey in leftback before (due to Giggs' emergence)
--Kieran Richardson has had a go for a few matches 2-3 years ago when the cnut was injured a lot.
- Even Giggsy played as emergency left back before when Fergie put out all 4 attackers in one match this season in a desperate attempt to force a winner.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Fergie just said Ecks, Fabio and Chester "will all be involved" against Spuds whatever that means. Probably just that they're in the squad.

PS18

I've seen Fergie converted left midfielders into left backs before & so I wont be surprised if he does so again with Fletcher.

- Fergie has played Sharpey in leftback before (due to Giggs' emergence)
--Kieran Richardson has had a go for a few matches 2-3 years ago when the cnut was injured a lot.
- Even Giggsy played as emergency left back before when Fergie put out all 4 attackers in one match this season in a desperate attempt to force a winner.
They were all wide midfielders, Fletcher isn't.