England collapse in Sri lanka

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We're shit. Victories against Bangladesh don't help either as our players appear to gain confidence from such victories. They should, however, be pissed off that they even have to bother playing Bangladesh and beating this country should not have any affect on confidence.

True White

"If there was any justice, my face would be o
You would have thought Flintoff would have gained something, what with his man of the match awards and his sixes totals. I know I'd feel good scoring a hatrick against a rubbish side and I would have some confidence going into a harder game.
Looks like we aren't going to reach 100 !!! :eek:

Nate

Poached vegetables a speciality
It is apparently a very nasty sticky wicket.

:smirk:

Snoeker

Everybody has to play Bangladesh, they are showing signs of improvement. Freddie actually saved England in those games as the top order were a bit dodgy.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
ouch!

i'm gonna put this done to our old friend complacency. we'll take it back 2-1

what is it with Freddy? he'll either win you a game or get out really cheaply. there's no middle ground with his kamikazee cricket. it's hard to watch sometimes :nervous:

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
What's Freddy's record against 'good' teams....?

He's def improved as a player....especially in the bowling department....

But there's along way to go before he can be classed anywhere near world class...

Snoeker

GiggsysGirl said:
ouch!

what is it with Freddy? he'll either win you a game or get out really cheaply. there's no middle ground with his kamikazee cricket. it's hard to watch sometimes :nervous:
Ain't that the truth. You always think you've got a chance.

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
GiggsysGirl said:

His one-day record is excellent..... impressive. Not far of world class.

He doesn't seem to have a good Test record tho'.... batting's ok, but it's his bowling, which let's him down... (altho, as I said above, he is improving, in that department.)

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
giggzy said:
His one-day record is excellent..... impressive. Not far of world class.

He doesn't seem to have a good Test record tho'.... batting's ok, but it's his bowling, which let's him down... (altho, as I said above, he is improving, in that department.)
it's funny really - he's primarily thought of as a big hitter but he's also considered our best bowler (even tho i would disagree ;) ). over the summer he was the only man to break 90mph (RSA included) and was consistently better than the others despite taking less wickets. it wasn't that it let him down, he was repeatedly called "unlucky" rather than "poor" (his toe over the line when Anderson caught Kirsten for something like 8 springs to mind :mad: )

as the big man says himself "I used to be considered a batter who could bowl a little but i worked really hard and now i'm considered a bowler who can bat a little!"

arnie sidebottom

Giggzy I'd put that the other way round.

Fred admits that he's not much more than a stock bowler at test level. Gets the uphill, into the wind work while the strike bowlers get the easier shift. But it's an important job for the team, and he does it effectively.

Not yet convinced about his batting at the top level but he's still learning and I reckon he'll get there because he's got a top attitude. Give him more experience and he'll be smearing the Aussies all round OT - will be worth the wait. :drool:

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
I think he can be better than just a stock bowler.... as GG's pointed out, he can get up to 90mph.. which is as fast as any current English bowler.... he has improved though, and I was impressed with his bowling this summer.

btw England's not had many genuine quicks over the last few decades? what do you reckon, Arns? I think all great teams need at least one if not two genuine speedsters....

Dans

True White said:
85-5 after 35ovs

Looking a bit brighter! :)
Uh?

They've got nearly a 200 run lead already!! We needed to bowl them out for 85 to stand a chance of winning!

arnie sidebottom

Grumpy Dans is almost correct.

Fact is they could probably forfeit their 2nd innings and still win.

I don't even fancy our chances of getting to 100 in a 4th innings here.

arnie sidebottom

England 152-6

(BBC)"Chaminda Vaas and Muttiah Muralitharan have pounced to leave England four wickets from defeat in the first Test against Sri Lanka in Galle.

Vaas had Mark Butcher caught behind for 54 before Andrew Flintoff was caught to cap a poor Test with the bat for the all-rounder.

Paul Collingwood, who shared a dogged 52-run stand for the fourth wicket with Butcher, is still there.

But he lost Chris Read to Muralitharan just before tea. Murali had also picked up Graham Thorpe in the morning session."

I think Sri Lanka will get over confident and Collingwood / Giles will reach the target in singles. We've lulled them into a false sense of security. The plan is working......

arnie sidebottom

England: 204-8

"Batty loses his head, attempting to slog-sweep Murali but sees his stumps crashed"

Good to see we're still going for the win. C'mon England :keano:

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
arnie sidebottom said:
Damn - we were just closing in on their target and ran out of time.

Sri Lanka saved by the weather.
:lol: t'other way round methinks!

the highly coveted "GG's MOM" award goes to Ash Giles for facing 111 balls and protecting that 10th wicket! :D

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
arnie sidebottom said:
So GG -what's up with our man Fred at the moment ?
:( your guess is as good as mine right now. he's a bit like Giggsy in that his brilliance comes in spurts.

his "live by the sword" attitude can get him out cheaply, which is frustrating, but then he'll come out to the crease and hit a 6 off his first ball.

we know he can defend (like his 95 @ The Oval) he just needs to get back to that same fitness level and he'll be golden!

safehands

Sorry to say but england are just shit at cricket, why can't they be like the english rugby team and win ever thing going, like we will beat the newzeland on sat. Which will be a walk over for the english lads. :angel: :xmas: :snow: ;) :xmas:

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
safehands said:
Sorry to say but england are just shit at cricket, why can't they be like the english rugby team and win ever thing going, like we will beat the newzeland on sat. Which will be a walk over for the english lads. :angel: :xmas: :snow: ;) :xmas:
ah piss off ;) we've been battling like bloody troopers over there. ok so Freddy is having a bit of a :houllier: but Mickey V is back and he means business baby!

all square!

one to go!

True White

"If there was any justice, my face would be o
GiggsysGirl said:
ah piss off ;) we've been battling like bloody troopers over there. ok so Freddy is having a bit of a :houllier: but Mickey V is back and he means business baby!

all square!

one to go!
Tresco scored 70
Vaughan scored 18 (unlucky though!)
Freddy scored 77
Hopefully this is a sign of another mamoth score in the next innings! :)

Dans

SL pound the living shit out of us and post a similar total for the loss of just 2 wickets.

Normal service is resumed.