English cricket thread

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Never been impressed with Root as captain and said before it happened they shouldn't do it - this habit of giving it to the best player they've had for a while usually just means their own performance drops as well as the actual choice of who would be the best captain should be far more important.

YAMS49

Pakistan have come to play, loving their positive attitude. We look devoid of ideas & are now relying on our young spinner for control 12 overs in to the new ball.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
One thing I find telling with Root is his behaviour when there's a potential review. He's always a bit over excited and a bit impulsive and that can pretty much describe his captaincy.

Stokes might have lost his only game as captain but he was far more measured (again using the reviews as a proxy to assess decision making on the spot) and not remotely worried about making a big call for leaving a quick out (even if it was wrong).

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Awful, awful afternoon from Root. The sort of afternoon where you think surely nobody could do worse.
Problem is we know who it would go to and even if we felt confident he'd make better decisions than Root, it's not a good idea!

Is Mike Brearley still alive?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Never been impressed with Root as captain and said before it happened they shouldn't do it - this habit of giving it to the best player they've had for a while usually just means their own performance drops as well as the actual choice of who would be the best captain should be far more important.
Who do you suggest should be captain?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Was really enjoying watching Shadab bat.
I think he will score plenty this series.

zing

Zingle balls
Who do you suggest should be captain?
Don't know how good a captain Burns is, but there's literally no one else who is not guaranteed a place in the side. Stokes does too many things already.

ArmchairCritic

Problem is we know who it would go to and even if we felt confident he'd make better decisions than Root, it's not a good idea!

Is Mike Brearley still alive?
Morgan as a Brearley tribute act.

ArmchairCritic

Don't know how good a captain Burns is, but there's literally no one else who is not guaranteed a place in the side. Stokes does too many things already.
County championship winning captain I believe.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That’s the problem. Root has no competition.

Doubt it should ever go to Stokes full time as it’s way too much responsibility

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I ruled Morgan out - not that I don't think he could do it but I would worry about his back big time.

ArmchairCritic

The other aspect with Stokes vs other English all-rounders who were rubbish captains, he works his bollocks off. Sibley basically lost weight based off of a few training sessions with Stokes in Sri Lanka. As far as standard setters go there's no one better, every young player idolises him.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If the WK can’t take those chances, he shouldn’t be playing.

ArmchairCritic

Nother routine fecking drop from Buttler.
This was my other thought whilst nailing Root as captain. If Buttler wasn't having a mare we probably would not be nailing him but if Root did not shy away when it came to making tough selection decisions so often Buttler would not be behind the stumps anyway.

paulscholes18

Since that Twitter account posted that Jos Buttler hasn’t dropped a catch since 2018, he’s now dropped 3 in 4 tests

JohnnyKills

Nother routine fecking drop from Buttler.
You go on about Foakes, have you ever seen him play at county level? I certainly haven't.

It's easy for us to make conclusions based on media reports, but unless we actually watch these players day-in, day-out (which is very difficult given county cricket is hardly ever on TV) it's hard to make conclusive judgements.

We can only assume that Foakes is a better keeper than Buttler (tbh it's not difficult) but there must be a reason they keep choosing Buttler.

My guess is that 1) They think Foakes' batting has a big technical problem or 2) They value Buttler's tactical and leadership skills and feel Foakes is too quiet.

JohnnyKills

This was my other thought whilst nailing Root as captain. If Buttler wasn't having a mare we probably would not be nailing him but if Root did not shy away when it came to making tough selection decisions so often Buttler would not be behind the stumps anyway.
Selection is done by committee isn't it?

Agree that Root is a poor captain but not sure you can blame him for selection issues.

DOTA

You go on about Foakes, have you ever seen him play at county level? I certainly haven't.

It's easy for us to make conclusions based on media reports, but unless we actually watch these players day-in, day-out (which is very difficult given county cricket is hardly ever on TV) it's hard to make conclusive judgements.

We can only assume that Foakes is a better keeper than Buttler (tbh it's not difficult) but there must be a reason they keep choosing Buttler.

My guess is that 1) They think Foakes' batting has a big technical problem or 2) They value Buttler's tactical and leadership skills and feel Foakes is too quiet.
Brearley used to keep sometimes.

Two birds one stone.

ArmchairCritic

Selection is done by committee isn't it?

Agree that Root is a poor captain but not sure you can blame him for selection issues.
The captain is on the committee and I think we're way past the days of captain's not getting who they want in the team. If Root isn't protesting things or is happy with his lot even when they are not performing, that's on him.

ha_rooney

use the review ffs!

edit: would still be out but not sure why he spent so long discussing it.

DOTA

The captain is on the committee and I think we're way past the days of captain's not getting who they want in the team. If Root isn't protesting things or is happy with his lot even when they are not performing, that's on him.
Standing at slip just constantly booing Buttler.

ArmchairCritic

You think so? Based on what?
Based on Bairstow playing for ages with a clear technical issue and the general inconsistency in giving players time to 'prove' themselves or get into form. I agree though it is very hard to ascertain precisely who is responsible for these calls but a captain generally gets his way.

ha_rooney

Never understood why bowlers don’t go for the yorker on the hat-trick ball. Especially when you’ve got a true tail-ender.

paulscholes18

Based on Bairstow playing for ages with a clear technical issue and the general inconsistency in giving players time to 'prove' themselves or get into form. I agree though it is very hard to ascertain precisely who is responsible for these calls.
Also Ballance come right back into the side in Root’s first game as captain

ArmchairCritic

It is so weird that Somerset conclusively feel that Leach > Bess but England do not.

DOTA

That's a nasty place to get struck!