English cricket thread

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Not sure if it was mentioned on here before but Broad is an excellent commentator for someone still playing. Seems like a complete natural.
I'm really not a fan. He sounds to me like someone doing an impression of a commentator. Every mannerism just a bit too oversold.

Hopefully he'll grow on me.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Yeah Im with you there, Livingstones first 6 I thought was a good choice and removed all the pressure. But at that point surely you make it harder than it needs to be when you have 7 balls to knock out 6 runs, surely just push a few 1’s and 2’s job done

but as you say they won so what do we know
Flip side Livingstone pretty much confirmed the game with his 6 (2). England still had competent batters in Jordan and Wiley to see them through with just 6 needed off 6.

Malan came close to costing England this match.

Last edited:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
4 streakers and 1 scrap. A good evening out.

It never ceases to amaze me how dreadful the bars are at major events like this though. 40 minutes trying to get a drink. Over half an hour for food. It's absolutely bizarre.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’m watching the first game of The Hundred, the on screen graphics are truly vile :lol:

DOTA

I’m watching the first game of The Hundred, the on screen graphics are truly vile :lol:
I'm really enjoying it and yes they really are.

EDIT - Ooh, we have a half time performance.

Trequarista10

Yeah came here to discuss that. Seem like a real eyesore, and initially confusing as to what the score was.

That said, the intention is to attract a new audience, so I get the reasoning behind going for something striking and different, as opposed to just going for the regular score display. I think it will work, probably just needs a little tweaking though.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Just tuned in, what the actual feck is this? My eyes are bleeding. They are pissing on us legacy fans.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Tried watching a bit of it & find it ridiculous. The 5/10 ball over is confusing me & it feels a bit like they’re trying to make it like American sports with the coaches being able to come out & strategic TOs (convenient advert breaks).

Personally, I’m not a fan & I’m not sure if this attracts new people to cricket when you already have T20.

DOTA

Tried watching a bit of it & find it ridiculous. The 5/10 ball over is confusing me & it feels a bit like they’re trying to make it like American sports with the coaches being able to come out & strategic TOs (convenient advert breaks).

Personally, I’m not a fan & I’m not sure if this attracts new people to cricket when you already have T20.
The main reason it will attract new people to cricket is that it's on BBC Two in the UK, so kids who don't come from homes with Sky Sports can actually watch on telly. The reason it's slightly shorter than twenty overs is the BBC wanted a smaller timeslot for it.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'm enjoying this but feck me these graphics are horrid.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The main reason it will attract new people to cricket is that it's on BBC Two in the UK, so kids who don't come from homes with Sky Sports can actually watch on telly. The reason it's slightly shorter than twenty overs is the BBC wanted a smaller timeslot for it.
Fair enough, but then the ECB should look at Sky’s monopoly & break that up by making a reasonable % games available on freeview.

Just my opinion, but T20 is the perfect length for a “quick” game, I don’t see why they needed to go shorter than that & especially change the rules with how long an over can last. They should’ve looked at revamping the T20 league.

DOTA

They did consider removing LBW as a method of dismissal as they thought it too hard for beginners to understand, so things could've been a lot worse for those of us who already like cricket.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Alright this is quite enjoyable it has to be said

Welcome to any new cricket watchers, they have no idea who Vaughan is. Lucky cnuts

croadyman

Yeah came here to discuss that. Seem like a real eyesore, and initially confusing as to what the score was.

That said, the intention is to attract a new audience, so I get the reasoning behind going for something striking and different, as opposed to just going for the regular score display. I think it will work, probably just needs a little tweaking though.
Yeah enjoyed watching the actual Cricket but the graphics are certainly not very easy on the eye

I just spent the whole time converting it into a req run rate based on a six ball over

Won’t be watching another women’s hundred game. Standard is shocking

paulscholes18

They did consider removing LBW as a method of dismissal as they thought it too hard for beginners to understand, so things could've been a lot worse for those of us who already like cricket.
Your shitting me right? :lol:

Shame Chris Woakes is injured. I think very much think this is a unpopular opinion, but after the New Zealand games I think it should now be Anderson or Broad not both, but with no Woakes or Archer makes it nearly impossible to happen.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
What a fun first game . Great start to the tournament. Test cricket fans will continue to moan but I think this could really work if they could keep the time rules very strict

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
So I didn’t watch last night can anyone explain what everyone was watching last night? What channel was it on?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So I didn’t watch last night can anyone explain what everyone was watching last night? What channel was it on?
The Hundred on Sky/BBC. New franchise tournament, 100 balls per innings, 5 balls per over, disastrous graphics. Men’s tournament starts this evening.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The Hundred on Sky/BBC. New franchise tournament, 100 balls per innings, 5 balls per over, disastrous graphics. Men’s tournament starts this evening.
Ahh okay sounds interesting. International teams?

Trequarista10

Your shitting me right? :lol:

Shame Chris Woakes is injured. I think very much think this is a unpopular opinion, but after the New Zealand games I think it should now be Anderson or Broad not both, but with no Woakes or Archer makes it nearly impossible to happen.
Stokes
S Curran
Wood
Anderson/Broad
Leach

I'd go for this vs India. Good mix of pace, swing, youth and experience. We'll likely need Curran's batting at 8 too as our batting ain't too hot.

That said I think Stokes may be unfit to bowl, so we may see Curran at 7, Bess at 8, then Wood, Broad and Anderson.

croadyman

Greg's explanation of Cricket for beginners is definitely reminiscent of GCSE Bitesize

Trequarista10

No interest in the men's opener then?

Even the graphics are growing on me. The laddy bloke doing the interviews with punters is annoying as feck though.

Tbh the main thing that interests me about this rather than the domestic T20 competition isn't any of the gimmicks or rule changes, but simply the greater concentration of talent with just 8 sides. There's more players on each side that are worth tuning in for.

CallyRed

No interest in the men's opener then?

Even the graphics are growing on me. The laddy bloke doing the interviews with punters is annoying as feck though.

Tbh the main thing that interests me about this rather than the domestic T20 competition isn't any of the gimmicks or rule changes, but simply the greater concentration of talent with just 8 sides. There's more players on each side that are worth tuning in for.
Graphics appear confusing at first. But have got used to it.

Enjoying the format, it's good fun.

Oh and that laddy bloke is a ex Love Island twat

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This is good fun, whilst not being as close as last night, it's a good format.

Dan_F

I’d rather they just left it at twenty overs, but I can see what they've gone for. Could do without seeing that belter every 10 minutes, from what I’m assuming is love island, seeing as they mentioned it.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I am going for the double header at OT this Sunday . Hopefully there isn’t too much rain . Absolutely love the fact that matches finish in 2.5 hours

Mcking

Looks like it is going to be a fantastic format. Being able to use one bowler for ten balls on a trot makes things interesting. Shame that the likes of Curran, Bairstow, Stokes, Wood won't be available for most of the tournament.

Thought Invincibles over thought their batting line up. The have assembled a good team, and should let everyone bat in their positions.

Roy
Jacks
Evans
Ingram
Billings
Curran
Narine
Curran
Sowter
Mahmood
Topley

DOTA

As a lifelong Manchester Originals fan I'm disappointed that the results haven't gone our way but I think these two nights have been a great start to the tournament and I really like the way the BBC are doing it.

DOTA

Think there's an argument for a separate thread for the hundred. Especially as not all cricket fans like it and some people who don't watch the matches this thread is usually about will be watching it.