English cricket thread

paulscholes18

Stokes didn’t look right after his last over, standard Joe Root gives him another over so he goes off injured

JohnnyKills

Uzzie has a better average than nearly the entire English cricket team and is only a ring in for this match…
Averages can be misleading though. Gary Balance still averages 38 but no-one's talking about a recall for England.

JohnnyKills

Stokes didn’t look right after his last over, standard Joe Root gives him another over so he goes off injured
Tbh when I saw the incomplete over on the scorecard I assumed it was Wood who went down injured.

Stokes's bowling is winding down anyway, so hopefully won't be too big a blow long-term. But let's see.

JohnnyKills

England’s fielding has been atrocious all series.
Yeah. We're ticking nearly all the boxes of bad coaching atm - dropped chances, missed run-outs, no-ball wickets, crap shots and batting collapses. All we need now is a run-out of our own to complete the set.

Last edited:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
See Extras has made a solid start to 2022, looking to carry on his 2021 form.

Here's hoping Root can follow suit, which I'm sure he'll get a chance to do pretty early on tomorrow.

Boycott

I see another innings defeat on the card

Things have gone crap ever since South Africa stopped producing players for us

JohnnyKills

Tbh the bigger the hammering we get, the better.

The series is gone and the more dramatic the scoreline, the more change we'll see at the end.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Tbh the bigger the hammering we get, the better.

The series is gone and the more dramatic the scoreline, the more change we'll see at the end.
I'd much rather see some of our young players build some confidence myself???

And see Jimmy etc keep getting wickets?

Can't get onboard with that attitude at all.

JohnnyKills

I'd much rather see some of our young players build some confidence myself???

And see Jimmy etc keep getting wickets?

Can't get onboard with that attitude at all.
Ok, you do you.

Really couldn't care less whether Anderson gets any more wickets.

Also, it's hard to see how much our young players will get out of these next couple of games - nine of the current side are 30-plus!

JohnnyKills

I see another innings defeat on the card

Things have gone crap ever since South Africa stopped producing players for us
Wait till Brydon Carse makes his debut!

Agree though, Trott and Pietersen were a big loss. Could say the same about Bell as well though.

Longshanks

Wait till Brydon Carse makes his debut!

Agree though, Trott and Pietersen were a big loss. Could say the same about Bell as well though.
And Strauss and cook and Collingwood none of them have really been replaced with any great success. The only batsmen of the generation after that one to nail a spot has been root. 1,2,3,5 and 6 and been revolving doors.

LDUred

Uzzie has a better average than nearly the entire English cricket team and is only a ring in for this match…
Khawaja's an exquisite player. He's wasted as a back up, although he's getting on a bit.

They have been able to get away with Cam Green at six because it's England they're up against, but in future having Khawaja at six plus head at five would make that middle order look really solid.

Green reminds me a bit of Freddie Flintoff. He's a bowling all-rounder and his batting needs a lot of work. Funnily enough, Freddie started as a gun batsman with Lancashire who bowled a bit.

JohnnyKills

Khawaja's an exquisite player. He's wasted as a back up, although he's getting on a bit.

They have been able to get away with Cam Green at six because it's England they're up against, but in future having Khawaja at six plus head at five would make that middle order look really solid.

Green reminds me a bit of Freddie Flintoff. He's a bowling all-rounder and his batting needs a lot of work. Funnily enough, Freddie started as a gun batsman with Lancashire who bowled a bit.
I'd have opened with Khawaja and Warner.

Can see why Khawaja's in and out though - he seems to get easy runs (apart from that epic innings in India) and doesn't do it in tough situations.

Have to remember that Aussie batsmen always have high averages because they play half their matches on flat pitches in Aus. Adam Voges averaged 61 FFS!!

It's the same for English bowlers. Loads of our bowlers have low averages but can't make an impact on flat pitches.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Can see why Khawaja's in and out though - he seems to get easy runs (apart from that epic innings in India) and doesn't do it in tough situations.

Have to remember that Aussie batsmen always have high averages because they play half their matches on flat pitches in Aus. Adam Voges averaged 61 FFS!!

It's the same for English bowlers. Loads of our bowlers have low averages but can't make an impact on flat pitches.
(Looks at Joe Roots average most of 21 v playing in Australia…)

Yes, it’s only the flat pitches…

Balljy

(Looks at Joe Roots average most of 21 v playing in Australia…)

Yes, it’s only the flat pitches…
I just checked Roots average in Australia and it's the second lowest behind in New Zealand (excluding Bangladesh as he's only played twice there and averages 24.50. I was amazed to see he's never had a century in Australia in 23 innings.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I just checked Roots average in Australia and it's the second lowest behind in New Zealand (excluding Bangladesh as he's only played twice there and averages 24.50. I was amazed to see he's never had a century in Australia in 23 innings.
People forget that that Australian had a team that averaged 45 or above down to No.8 for the better part of a decade (Gilchrist was averaging around 50 odd (no.7 until later in his career). Just getting into that lineup was insane so players like Voges, Rogers, Hussey etc didn't get to start their careers until much later on. We had an era where Australia could have fielded a second string side that was arguably the second strongest team in the world.

It is likely if those same players started earlier, their averages wouldn;t have been so high as they'd have had a bedding in process.

In hindsight, I would have loved to have seen Mike Hussey get a much longer career. Exceptional player.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
We had an era where Australia could have fielded a second string side that was arguably the second strongest team in the world.
Do you just mean batsmen or entire team?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Weather might save England yet. Raining here now as it was on and off all night

LDUred

That's a very good shout, and Khawaja as opener must be on the selector's minds, especially with subcontinental tours ahead.

It's different doing it as an opener, but Harris opening against Axar and Ashwin on turners can't inspire much confidence. Khawaja on the other hand is proven.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The 'roll over' phase was executed in an unusually delayed manner by the England openers, but they've turned it around and 'have tummies tickled' is proceeding on schedule.

LDUred

No run has been scored for 53 deliveries and a wicket was taken on the cusp of lunch.

Grim.

At least we might get to see Australia enforce the follow-on today. No reason for them not to.