English cricket thread

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
One benefit of England batting quick is that the new ball is nearly 50 overs away at least so don't have to worry about that at all.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It's been a superb series this, doesn't deserve to finish 3-0 but I hope it does...

LDUred

So Joverton has scored more runs on debut than six recognized batsmen on a decent pitch.

England ladies and gentleman.

LDUred

Overton has a really good eye.

He's absolutely mullered some boundaries here off Wagner.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Bairstow’s resurrecting his Test career these last 2 knocks. Hell of a partnership this.

FlawlessThaw

Wouldn't mess with Bairstow now, keep him at no.5 without giving him the gloves.

Balljy

This style of cricket might just work in most test matches. A couple of partnerships and you've reached 280 in 50 overs :lol:

FlawlessThaw

Just checked the score, last time I looked we were like 6 down for 50, wtf happened since then? :eek:
Ball has lost its shine and NZ haven't been able to do as much with it since. It's been the story with the Dukes this series, survive the first 15-20 overs and then you are golden. But England have really put the foot down though with the run rate.

LDUred

Wheres that fella in here who wanted Bairstow dropped :lol:
I'll be honest, I was wanting him dropped after the first innings of the second test. He had a few scores over the winter but prior to that, he did not have that much credit in the bank after a few very lean years runs-wise.

Think this has a lot to do with Baz telling him to play his natural game and back himself. Maybe before he had been caught in two minds.

Robindinho

Fair play, what a partnership/comeback.

Go Baz ball!! 55-6 in a test match, yet you close the day 264-6 after 49 overs - going at just under 5 and half per over :eek: :lol:

Abraxas

Bloody hell that was class from those two. Completely turned the game in the blink of an eye. There's definitely something going on with McCullum. I was worried about this "playing positive" approach becoming an excuse for dumb cricket but they're executing at the moment. Hopefully we can sneak a lead as batting last will be tricky.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I sort of see the method in the madness here… if we’re shit at playing test cricket but can score 500 in limited overs, then why not..

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I sort of see the method in the madness here… if we’re shit at playing test cricket but can score 500 in limited overs, then why not..
I wouldn't be that surprised if within a year Buttler, Moeen and even Roy have all played test cricket again.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'm a bit concerned about this new policy of catchers always going for the ball even when it's heading nicely to the bloke behind them.

It feels to me something of a 'sending the right message in the field' that's possibly trumping what's actually gonna result in more catches taken.

See how it goes but so far it seems bad to me.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I wouldn't be that surprised if within a year Buttler, Moeen and even Roy have all played test cricket again.
England tried this under Bayliss pretty much. Hales, Roy, Rashid etc all got picked and we had that little period of ‘total cricket’ in Sri Lanka when we batted deep and had 5-6 bowling options. There’s something different to how England are operating under McCullum though, helped partially by softer Dukes balls and fast outfields but really impressive nonetheless. Just hope they stick with it when it blows up in their face, find ways to adapt it in tricky conditions and find some real quick bowlers to augment their style of play further.

LDUred

Overton out for 97. Gutting but deserved wicket for Boult.

Great innings though.