Gaming Escape From Tarkov (PC)

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Anyone playing this?

I picked it up last week after watching a couple of streams and it is brilliant. A very realistic and hardcore FPS, but with much less emphasis on the actual shooting/reflexes/being trigger happy, and more focus on tactics, environmental awareness and looting. You can happily go through an entire round without actually fighting anyone - which can be a good thing as you dont then have to heal, replace your ammo etc. Looting objects takes time and makes noise, meaning you are extremely vulnerable while doing it - there is constant tension, since when you die on your main character, you lose everything that you were carrying at the time.

The game is currently in closed beta and is on sale at the moment I believe. The devs have also released a bunch of cool videos regarding the story of the game (its made by a Russian studio, and its quite interesting seeing a game where essentially the Russians are portrayed as the good guys, and the westerners as the bad guys - not that there is any real morality involved in it).

https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/

Simbo

Yeh I got it a couple weeks ago, its brutal, requires a different kind of mindset to your standard FPS. Difficult for newcomers to get a foothold when your not only up against people more experienced and skilled than you, but they also have the perks levelled up and gear to go with it. I kinda like that though, makes the survival aspect even more intense and the escapes more rewarding.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Bought it last year. Played it a few times and forgot about it.

Now that I'm more accustomed to mouse and keyboard, I do wanna hop back on it, just not got round to it yet

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Anyone playing this at the moment?

I've been watching streams and I think I'll bite the bullet and try it this week. It looks so much better than it did, and the fact you can practice is a big plus, also it looks more like you can choose play styles now by how you want to do it so that interests me a lot.

hobbers

Most addictive game I've played in years and years.

Watching the old stash value go up and up. Roubles pouring in.

Redlambs

Most addictive game I've played in years and years.

Watching the old stash value go up and up. Roubles pouring in.
I've only just started, not been online yet but done some offline customs and learning the map. I'm a fan of the shooting, it's perfect for my aim style and I'm very comfortable I'm going to be able to frag though there's a hell of a lot to learn with attachments and bullets.

Any newbie tips? I know bullet type matters more than anything and keys are important, but I feel I need to develop lot runs I'm comfortable with and mostly it's the choke points/parkour bits I'm not 100% with.

hobbers

Any newbie tips? I know bullet type matters more than anything and keys are important, but I feel I need to develop lot runs I'm comfortable with and mostly it's the choke points/parkour bits I'm not 100% with.
Learn the maps for sure, ideally have the map you're playing up on a second screen/tablet to begin with. Seriously makes a huge difference if you know at least where your extract points are. Also know where the experienced PMC players go for loot so you can avoid those areas at least while your starting out.

Also do lots of scav runs. Great for just getting free guns and armor/a bit of loot and learning the maps without as much stress. If you die, meh, you just lost free stuff.

And when you're a bit more into it start trying the dealer quests, because that's the way to gain XP and eventually unlock better stuff that you can buy straight from the dealers.

Like you said, don't bother ever spending money on crap ammo, and the same goes for level 2 armor. It's basically worthless.

Redlambs

Learn the maps for sure, ideally have the map you're playing up on a second screen/tablet to begin with. Seriously makes a huge difference if you know at least where your extract points are. Also know where the experienced PMC players go for loot so you can avoid those areas at least while your starting out.

Also do lots of scav runs. Great for just getting free guns and armor/a bit of loot and learning the maps without as much stress. If you die, meh, you just lost free stuff.

And when you're a bit more into it start trying the dealer quests, because that's the way to gain XP and eventually unlock better stuff that you can buy straight from the dealers.

Like you said, don't bother ever spending money on crap ammo, and the same goes for level 2 armor. It's basically worthless.
Nice, cheers! I watched the stream the other day and got an apparently very good EXFIL helmet and a weapons case for free in drops, plus that bonus 1m for servers, so I'm already pretty happy as a noob. Though trust me to start when they do the hatchet run change :lol:

Also, there is some discrepancy because the difficulty of it, but is customs still the best to learn for the early quests? I don't mind early PvP (though I'm guessing I'm going to hate thermals :() but I hear the loot is hard to come by unless you do the baptism of fire dorms.

hobbers

Nice, cheers! I watched the stream the other day and got an apparently very good EXFIL helmet and a weapons case for free in drops, plus that bonus 1m for servers, so I'm already pretty happy as a noob. Though trust me to start when they do the hatchet run change :lol:

Also, there is some discrepancy because the difficulty of it, but is customs still the best to learn for the early quests? I don't mind early PvP (though I'm guessing I'm going to hate thermals :() but I hear the loot is hard to come by unless you do the baptism of fire dorms.
Customs is the best map all round in my book, I've probably played it twice as much as any other. You don't need to go to dorms for good loot either, people just go there for the marked room, which has a chance of giving weapons cases keytools etc which is big money. And also because there are loads of quests that involve going to specific dorm rooms to pick stuff up.

If you want a good place to loot on Customs buy a customs office key once you've unlocked the fleamarket and keep it in your alpha case. That has plenty of loot and if you're lucky with spawns you'll find fairly often you spawn close enough to go straight there without much challenge. Then the only issue is crossing the map to extract without getting jumped. :lol:

Woods and Shoreline are both terrible for low level players, full of suited up PMCs with thermal scopes. And don't even bother doing any PMC runs on Reserve or Interchange without really good kit, keep those maps for scav runs.

Redlambs

Customs is the best map all round in my book, I've probably played it twice as much as any other. You don't need to go to dorms for good loot either, people just go there for the marked room, which has a chance of giving weapons cases keytools etc which is big money. And also because there are loads of quests that involve going to specific dorm rooms to pick stuff up.

If you want a good place to loot on Customs buy a customs office key once you've unlocked the fleamarket and keep it in your alpha case. That has plenty of loot and if you're lucky with spawns you'll find fairly often you spawn close enough to go straight there without much challenge. Then the only issue is crossing the map to extract without getting jumped. :lol:

Woods and Shoreline are both terrible for low level players, full of suited up PMCs with thermal scopes. And don't even bother doing any PMC runs on Reserve or Interchange without really good kit, keep those maps for scav runs.
I've finally done a couple of scav runs and a pmc, extracted once. My god is it different to offline, I came across a pmc and hit him 14 times head/body and still died to 2 shots :lol:

I'm so fps trained it never occured to me to aim lower, and I also need to not bother bursting just full spray. I have some serious muscle memory retraining to do!

hobbers

I've finally done a couple of scav runs and a pmc, extracted once. My god is it different to offline, I came across a pmc and hit him 14 times head/body and still died to 2 shots :lol:

I'm so fps trained it never occured to me to aim lower, and I also need to not bother bursting just full spray. I have some serious muscle memory retraining to do!
If you want a couple of cheapish guns to use that will deal even with well armored PMCs go for the Hunter or the VSS. With both even the more basic ammo (M80/SP5) is pretty good and they don't have much mod options to worry about, other than whether you want a scope or a collimator.