Gaming Europa Universalis

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Considering the popularity of these games (EU I-IV), I'm surprised there isn't a dedicated thread for it... I've never played it, but boy, it looks immense! I've just finished watching about 4 hours of tutorials on YouTube, and I'm still nowhere near ready to start this incredibly complex strategy game. I have EU IV with some extensions, btw.

What have you learnt over the years that can help a beginner come to grips with it? Is there some kind of continual checklist that I can follow to make sure I see everything I need to? Do you have any advice on which nation to play as and what strategy to follow? How long does it take someone to understand all the in-game mechanics?

Answers are not as important as reading about your experiences during game play. So, why do you like or dislike this game?

b82REZ

Your post pretty much sums up my feelings towards this game. Looks immense but the level of entry is well above your average game.

My mate plays it and absolutely loves it, but even after hundreds of hours he says he doesn't understand everything in the game. His attempts at explaining the game havent really helped me get into it either.

Unfortunately Civ scratches my itch for a grand strategy game, and is easy enough to pick up and play unlike Europa.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
One of my all time favs, but I haven't played it for a while. As you say it has a steep learning curve, but you don't have to do two weeks of intense studies before getting started. Learn the basics to begin with, you can always start a new game if you mess up. Personally I really enjoy the variations within the game and how you can chose different strategies, and switch between them as you play. I almost always played as a northern German state and had a long term goal of uniting Germany.

I can't remember if EU emphasised royal marriage? I faintly recall that you could be a sneaky cnut with marriages and assasinations and suddenly inherent the Spanish-Habsburg Empire, finding yourself the number one hated thunder bastard of the world with every country in the northern hemisphere declaring war on you because your bad boy points skyrocketed overnight.

I might be confusing some of these details with Crusader Kings, which is another highly recommended fave, and where you can continue you game in EU when you reach the end time in CK.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm in the 'wow that looks immense but I'm too scared' camp. I do have the game and even paid for some of the DLC but I just can't be bothered trying to get into it. The interface is kinda confusing also and it doesnt seem very good at helping you learn.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
I can't remember if EU emphasised royal marriage? I faintly recall that you could be a sneaky cnut with marriages and assasinations and suddenly inherent the Spanish-Habsburg Empire, finding yourself the number one hated thunder bastard of the world with every country in the northern hemisphere declaring war on you because your bad boy points skyrocketed overnight.

I might be confusing some of these details with Crusader Kings, which is another highly recommended fave, and where you can continue you game in EU when you reach the end time in CK.
That's Crusader Kings yes.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
One of my all time favs, but I haven't played it for a while. As you say it has a steep learning curve, but you don't have to do two weeks of intense studies before getting started. Learn the basics to begin with, you can always start a new game if you mess up. Personally I really enjoy the variations within the game and how you can chose different strategies, and switch between them as you play. I almost always played as a northern German state and had a long term goal of uniting Germany.
I'd love to do that! But it isn't in my character. I need to grasp it before I play it... And the temptation to choose a small nation on the fringes of the map it just too big. It is strongly advised to play with a strong nation as a beginner, but I need a challenge. Funny, eh? I can't play and know almost nothing, but I want a bigger challenge...

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
I'd love to do that! But it isn't in my character. I need to grasp it before I play it... And the temptation to choose a small nation on the fringes of the map it just too big. It is strongly advised to play with a strong nation as a beginner, but I need a challenge. Funny, eh? I can't play and know almost nothing, but I want a bigger challenge...
Hm, yeah maybe. But I think I recall reading that starting with a smaller nation could be preferable to going all out with someone like France. I think it was because of all the details you have to make sure you're on top of with a larger nation. Not sure though. Starting with Mecklenburg was pretty straight forward in my opinion, as long as you are aware of the basics.

Abizzz

I used to play III and had a look at IV, but given their dlc policy and other shit they've pulled i'm not buying another paradox product for a long time. It's a shame though, III was fun.