Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

arnie_ni

It's because nobody makes themselves available for a pass, the midfield is terrible at linking the play from back to front
many people said we need to upgrade the outfield players before getting the ball playing keeper because his ball playing exploits won't be able to be used in our current team

Jev

Nah, fans saying we should have kept de gea have selective amnesia. We did the right thing but maybe got the wrong player.
The fact that we got the wrong player is the wrong thing. Onana so far has been significantly worse than DDG. It may have been the right time to let DDG go and buy a better goalkeeper. Problem is we've bought a worse goalkeeper. Which means we've spent 50 million on a downgrade.

Pickle85

You may as well adore King Charles, he's played the same amount of football as De Gea this season.

The fascination our fanbase has with a player who that no club in world football wants is completely fecking insane.
What's insane is this stupid comment that keeps getting parroted.

Nogbadthebad

'Its the defenders'.

Last year DDG won the golden glove with these defenders.

This year: 18 goals in 10 games.

No excuses. It doesn't matter if DDG was not the long term solution, he clearly wasn't, but buying another dud because ten hag knew him has cost us 50 million and an entire season wasted going backwards.

This team would be better right now if you swap onana for Dave. That is simply a fact, and everyone at the club who was involved in doing this should be sacked.

Marcelinho87

'Its the defenders'.

No excuses. It doesn't matter if DDG was not the long term solution, he clearly wasn't, but buying another dud because ten hag knew him has cost us 50 million and an entire season wasted going backwards.

This team would be better right now if you swap onana for Dave. That is simply a fact, and everyone at the club who was involved in doing this should be sacked.
Last year won the GG with AWB tackling his heart out at RB and Varane/Martinez for the majority of the season.

We have a CM at left back and Dalot pretending to be a defender on the opposite side whilst Varane is in and out of the team and Martinez was playing with a broken foot.

Onana clearly isn't a dud, he's shown what he can do elsewhere.

He has just succumbed to the curse that is Manchester United, as do many.

Rusholme Ruffian

Can anybody that has followed his career in more detail than me (who literally only knows him from Inter's CL run last season) confirm that last season wasn't just a one-off?

So far he looks like when my son's U13 keeper gets injured and they have to use the striker in goals.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Last year won the GG with AWB tackling his heart out at RB and Varane/Martinez for the majority of the season.

We have a CM at left back and Dalot pretending to be a defender on the opposite side whilst Varane is in and out of the team and Martinez was playing with a broken foot.

Onana clearly isn't a dud, he's shown what he can do elsewhere.

He has just succumbed to the curse that is Manchester United, as do many.
All true, but still, Onana seems to struggle saving a shit that is either side of him and looks useless at 1 v 1

Hughie77

he didn't play that bad when he was with inter or was it because inter milan defense was rock solid in front of him.
He was still not a very good keeper. I know our back line is depleted with injuries. I'm hoping when they come back fit the Keeper is better . No matter how the back line is, there's no excuse for the passing out the butter fingers shot in Munich plus the goals v Brighton were most Keepers imo would have saved 2 of them.. I'm hoping he gets better because if not he's Getting ETH the Sack

PaulRich

He needs a drastic upturn in form. ETH cant arse about with him either because if he carries on dropping bollocks in big games he'll be out of a job. Personally I just cant see it in him to be at the level we need.

Pyro19

We are paying a heavy price for ETH signing his favourites. He's piss poor and his off field attitude is prime Zlatan however his on pitch performance is actively costing us goals

Mwooyo

The fact that we got the wrong player is the wrong thing. Onana so far has been significantly worse than DDG. It may have been the right time to let DDG go and buy a better goalkeeper. Problem is we've bought a worse goalkeeper. Which means we've spent 50 million on a downgrade.
Yes and what we are saying is that is normal. Its normal to make the right change and bring in the wrong player. All other top managers went through this same process and made the same mistake. They didnt fix it by lamenting and going back to the old ways. They just go out and buy the right player next time. So people saying we should have kept de gea are absolutely wrong...its normal that the money spent initially is an absolute waste.

We now just have to go out and buy again if onana doesnt work out. No shame in that... ditching de gea was the right decision every single time. This is not even considering the massive wages de gea was on.

Eric_the_Red99

Yes and what we are saying is that is normal. Its normal to make the right change and bring in the wrong player. All other top managers went through this same process and made the same mistake. They didnt fix it by lamenting and going back to the old ways. They just go out and buy the right player next time. So people saying we should have kept de gea are absolutely wrong...its normal that the money spent initially is an absolute waste. We now just have to go out and buy again if onana doesnt work out. No shame in that... ditching de gea was the right decision every single time. This is not even considering the massive wages de gea was on
But spending £50 million on a new goalkeeper every summer until we hit on the right one simply isn’t an option for us, even if FFP wasn’t a factor. If Onana was always a punt, why the feck did we pay the third highest GK transfer fee for him??

Mwooyo

But spending £50 million on a new goalkeeper every summer until we hit on the right one simply isn’t an option for us, even if FFP wasn’t a factor. If Onana was always a punt, why the feck did we pay the third highest GK transfer fee for him??
Who said we have to be spending 50m on a GK every summer. Besides, if we can blow 50m++ every summer on players like mount or anthony who are punts in their positions...then we can afford to do the same on the GK till we get the right fit.

But your whole point is based off a wrong assumption, The right GK doesnt have to cost alot of money. We just need to scout better. Arsenal signed raya for like 3m loan fee. Chelsea signed sanchez for like 20m or less.

My point is the costs dont matter, because the money will be spent..we just need to not give up because we got the wrong player. If we want to fix our spending, lets not draw the line on the GK...it should be a club wide thing and should be for all positions.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
He is a butter fingers wanker, but let's judge him when he gets a full defence in front of him. This is The worst injury situation we've Ever had in defence imo, I can't remember when it was so bad.

Fluctuation0161

It's the worst possible start for him really, and he seems to be shrinking in the role a bit. I feel like the pressure is already getting to him. Early days for him, and he's prone to a clanger or two, but this many already? Not positive stuff.
His heads gone. I struggle to see how he can come back from this. That sports psychologist had better be a miracle worker.

Fluctuation0161

Regardless of Onana, we needed De Gea’s wages off the books. Also De Gea cost us plenty of games too, some serious rose-tinted glasses here. I remember a string of games towards the end of one of Ole’s seasons where he made a serious game-costing error in 4 or 5 games in the space of a couple of months, basically costing us a top four place. Really horrendous stuff. But yes it looks like we’ve chosen a poor replacement.
Hadn't he agreed to a pay cut?

Dr. T

I'd also say ETH jettisoning De Gea the way he did wouldn't have gone down well with the squad. He was our most senior player, affable, popular, and we really mishandled his departure. 12 years and we properly disrespected him - talk of a contract offer rescinded, and then just... nothing. Sure he made mistakes, but replacing him wasn't as urgent as about 3/4 other areas of the squad.

Now - if senior players weren't questioning the manager over his departure during the summer, they damn well are now. They must be looking at Onana and thinking 'we ditched David for this??'

Pickle85

Who said we have to be spending 50m on a GK every summer. Besides, if we can blow 50m++ every summer on players like mount or anthony who are punts in their positions...then we can afford to do the same on the GK till we get the right fit.

But your whole point is based off a wrong assumption, The right GK doesnt have to cost alot of money. We just need to scout better. Arsenal signed raya for like 3m loan fee. Chelsea signed sanchez for like 20m or less.

My point is the costs dont matter, because the money will be spent..we just need to not give up because we got the wrong player. If we want to fix our spending, lets not draw the line on the GK...it should be a club wide thing and should be for all positions.
But we can't afford to do either. Your whole point seems to be that wasting 50 million on what should be a significant upgrade (but isn't an upgrade at all) is 'normal'. Which it isn't, or at least certainly shouldn't be. Either way it doesn't in any way excuse it.

Eric_the_Red99

My point was clearly that we should have looked for a cheaper option this summer rather than spending a near-record fee on Onana. We literally already had two keepers - Henderson and Kovar - who could have got us through this season (plus Heaton) while we strengthened in other areas, but we sold both and spent £50m+ replacing them with worse players.

But I agree that spending as much as we have done on players like Mount and Antony was also poor business from us. Mount, though, was nowhere near as much of a punt as Onana, given that he was a proven Premier League player. He just shouldn’t have been a priority this summer.

Jev

He is a butter fingers wanker, but let's judge him when he gets a full defence in front of him. This is The worst injury situation we've Ever had in defence imo, I can't remember when it was so bad.
We once fielded a defence of Valencia (before he was converted into fullback), Carrick, Fletcher and De Laet in defence (with Kuszczak in goal) in a league game. Fergie even tried to get the game postponed.

JB7

You're one for hyperbole huh. No one can pay his wages.

But let's forget De Gea for a minute and just reflect on how absolutely gobshite Onana has been. He doesn't add anything to our playing out of the back that $5M keepers aren't doing in the league or in Europe. Complete waste of money that ought to have been spent elsewhere.
Pretty much anyone in the world can pay him more than he's on at the moment in fairness. If you want to look more realistically, at least six proper (not Saudi) clubs who could afford to pay a goalkeeper £200k (more than the amount he had supposedly agreed to stay with United) a week signed goalkeepers in the summer and didn't touch him. Similarly, any PL club outside this years three promoted clubs could afford to pay a player £100k+ as a free agent, as we saw last season with Forest/Lingard. But he's still sat at home. It's nothing to do with wages at this stage, it's that clubs that he might realistically be interested in playing for don't want him.

Onana hasn't started well, whether he is the right long term goalkeeper is a reasonable debate. The constantly bringing De Gea into it when it was obvious as day he was never the right choice is ridiculous.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can anybody that has followed his career in more detail than me (who literally only knows him from Inter's CL run last season) confirm that last season wasn't just a one-off?

So far he looks like when my son's U13 keeper gets injured and they have to use the striker in goals.
Haven’t followed his career but he has always had a mistake in him. There was a Cameroonian poster back when Onana was at Ajax who said he’s terrible and wouldn’t make it at United

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We signed a goalkeeper who also needs defenders who can play out from the back. Shaw and Martinez are out injured and so was Varane . We’re gone back to defenders who now cannot play out from the back or defend so it’s a double whammy.

We cannot expect to play out from the back with no natural LB, Lindelof and Dalot as regular starters. That is making Onana look far worse.

Onana has made some big individual errors but his distribution is meant to be a strength. Yet when he comes to United that’s also an issue.
Fair point.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He’s proven elsewhere that he’s a good goalkeeper.

How many players come here and immediately look shit? That’s not a coincidence is it.

Mwooyo

But we can't afford to do either. Your whole point seems to be that wasting 50 million on what should be a significant upgrade (but isn't an upgrade at all) is 'normal'. Which it isn't, or at least certainly shouldn't be. Either way it doesn't in any way excuse it.
Bro, you chose to not read the whole post and then went ahead and imagined your own things. No one said it's normal, all I said is if we are wasting that kind of money for other players, it is okay for us to do so when attempting to sign the right GK.

Furthermore, I went ahead and said we could find the right GK for cheaper. Basically, when it comes to the GK, it should come down to whether he is the right fit, not how much he costs. My understanding of your beef for Onana is not that he is performing poorly.....nooo, you are especially annoyed because he is not performing and he cost 50m.

In other words, you wouldn't throw as much fuss if he cost 10m....or if he came on a free. That's where I disagree with you. The cost doesn't matter because we are already blowing that kind of dough on other dead wood. We just need to find the right GK (no matter the price) IF Onana doesn't work out.

NZT-One

'Its the defenders'.

With these defenders and a different setup. This year, we are trying to play more on the front foot. It doesn't really work but having Onana is important to even try it. Seriously guys, you can't just dumb down the game simply to personnel - how is that still something that exists?!

The end of DDG was disrespectful. But his time here was at an end. It was the right thing to bring in another keeper and this particular one has played a good season for Inter and in the CL. He looked shaky for us at times but who didn't. We spent 50 million, he isn't going to go in January. Lets see if we can make use of his strength instead.

NZT-One

Furthermore, I went ahead and said we could find the right GK for cheaper. Basically, when it comes to the GK, it should come down to whether he is the right fit, not how much he costs.
I agree. Especially with a potential long term goalkeeper, it is worth investing money. But not even all the money in the world will give you the perfect keeper who never makes any mistakes.

Nogbadthebad

With these defenders and a different setup. This year, we are trying to play more on the front foot. It doesn't really work but having Onana is important to even try it. Seriously guys, you can't just dumb down the game simply to personnel - how is that still something that exists?!

The end of DDG was disrespectful. But his time here was at an end. It was the right thing to bring in another keeper and this particular one has played a good season for Inter and in the CL. He looked shaky for us at times but who didn't. We spent 50 million, he isn't going to go in January. Lets see if we can make use of his strength instead.
He won;t make it here. I've seen lots of players come into the club and struggle to begin with, Evra being the most used example. But Evra always had some flashes of what he could do in with the struggles.

Onana was chipped in a friendly pre season game his first time out, and he has never mentally recovered from it. He changed the way he plays from that moment, and it is still affecting him now.

The position is too big for him. No shame in that, its been to big for better goalies than him.

Pickle85

Bro, you chose to not read the whole post and then went ahead and imagined your own things. No one said it's normal, all I said is if we are wasting that kind of money for other players, it is okay for us to do so when attempting to sign the right GK.

Furthermore, I went ahead and said we could find the right GK for cheaper. Basically, when it comes to the GK, it should come down to whether he is the right fit, not how much he costs. My understanding of your beef for Onana is not that he is performing poorly.....nooo, you are especially annoyed because he is not performing and he cost 50m.

In other words, you wouldn't throw as much fuss if he cost 10m....or if he came on a free. That's where I disagree with you. The cost doesn't matter because we are already blowing that kind of dough on other dead wood. We just need to find the right GK (no matter the price) IF Onana doesn't work out.
Eh?
Yes and what we are saying is that is normal. Its normal to make the right change and bring in the wrong player. All other top managers went through this same process and made the same mistake. They didnt fix it by lamenting and going back to the old ways. They just go out and buy the right player next time. So people saying we should have kept de gea are absolutely wrong...its normal that the money spent initially is an absolute waste.

We now just have to go out and buy again if onana doesnt work out. No shame in that... ditching de gea was the right decision every single time. This is not even considering the massive wages de gea was on.

Mwooyo

Still reading specific words rather than the whole post. You can not be helped.

Me: It is normal to make the right change and bring in the wrong player. <- Do you see any reference to money here

You: our whole point seems to be that wasting 50 million on what should be a significant upgrade (but isn't an upgrade at all) is 'normal'. <- No one said this whole statement from you is normal

You chose to bring in the money thing and then attributed it to me calling it normal. So to provide my quote without the context from your comment is just a special kind of selective amnesia

No one said it's normal to be wasting 50 million on what should be a significant upgrade (but isn't an upgrade at all), all I said is if we are wasting that kind of money for other players, it is okay for us to do so when attempting to sign the right GK.

Last edited:

Ted Lasso

I don't even understand what De Gea has to do with the Onana conversation anyway, to be honest.
That's actually quite dishonest. He was our starting number one for a decade up until this season. It's as relevant as it gets.

NZT-One

He won;t make it here. I've seen lots of players come into the club and struggle to begin with, Evra being the most used example. But Evra always had some flashes of what he could do in with the struggles.

Onana was chipped in a friendly pre season game his first time out, and he has never mentally recovered from it. He changed the way he plays from that moment, and it is still affecting him now.

The position is too big for him. No shame in that, its been to big for better goalies than him.
Mate, he joined the club not even two month ago and barely has ten appearances. Yet you stand there acting as if you'd know the future. If he isn't good enough, he will have to be replaced. But don't expect that to happen in January. Probably not even in the summer.