Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Red1986

As per the title.
I don’t give a shit about how good he is with his feet or if he can pass, his primary objective is to keep the ball out of the net and he can’t do it.
The commentary mentioned tonight it’s the first season since the 70’s when Dave Sexton was manager that we have conceded 3 or more in 3 consecutive games. It’s not good enough.

Discuss
I agree with you as goalkeeper you don't need to be able to ping a ball 30 40 yards we spend more time passing it the wrong way down the pitch anyway , but honestly who whispered in ETH ear to spend £70mil on him ?? I would have give him some change at half time for a bus ride home , except the pen and the last goal the other 2 wore training shots get rid before the team falls apart

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Barthez didn’t really make many howlers at all in his debut season
De Gea had a pretty rocky start iirc. Barthez was notoriously unstable - not just for the Di Canio goal, but his general style was so unnerving to watch.

frostbite

Last year, our main problem was that we couldn't score goals. We got Onana. Now our main problem is not that we can't score goals!

Fooza

He came in very confident and playing for this club has broken that confidence. I just hope he has the mentality to play for this club otherwise it's going to look peak. There's no hiding when you making mistakes like that and he could get benched early if it continues

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Howler tonight, but really most of the goals were conceding are unsavable. Dave at his best did save a lot of impossible shots but we should protect our keeper more.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I had my doubts when he fell on his arse trying to save Forrest's 1st goal

Abraxas

Tough start for him. He is very composed on the ball but it goes without saying he is struggling in some of the basic keeping departments.

I don't think it was wrong to get rid of DeGea mind. I can imagine some will start to make it about that. But it's not about DeGea, at some point you have to evolve and get better and that needs fresh players. The question is whether we got this one right as a goalkeeping package, has he got the right blend of skills?

I'm okay waiting to see how he develops in a United shirt, though. Early days.

Red1986

I see we're whitewashing De Gea's errors this soon already.
Dear gea made errors every keeper does but how many times and points did de gea earn us loads should have paid him the wages he asked for rather than splashing 70 mil on onana

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
He’s a good keeper. Better than what he’s shown so far that’s for sure. There’s a few players in the same boat at the moment.

el3mel

He's not a bad keeper, but he's not a good shot stopper and you can't depend on him saving you like what we used to do under De Gea. We have put a lot of money into him to replace him now. Best to just reinforce the defense to cover for his liability and try to benefit from his passing in building up attacks and playing possession football, something Ten Hag is allergic to.

RyRy11

He'll turn out alright, not that worried. We have far more pressing issues in this team to get worked up about Onana.

KeanoMagicHat

Onana has played 250 games in European leagues and was nominated for the Ballon d’Or but people act as if he can’t save the ball based off a few games

He’s just made a few mistakes, he’s a good keeper the body of work suggests that.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
De Gea had a pretty rocky start iirc. Barthez was notoriously unstable - not just for the Di Canio goal, but his general style was so unnerving to watch.
He did, but DDG was very young and was fairly well protected by Fergie, he was dropped for spells

Barthez was hugely popular after his first season before he went shit. if he somehow did manage to put di Camino off it would have been stuff of legends

el3mel

I see we're whitewashing De Gea's errors this soon already.
De Gea made these mistakes when he was past his peak. At his peak his shot stopping ability was legendary stuff.

That's supposed to be Onana's peak.

De Gea is a better keeper than Onana when you compare both at their peak. It's not even a contest.

Replacing De Gea at this point was right but at the same time United is so used to being shit at defense and depending on the GK to pull miraculous saves to save their arse. It's hard to shift from this to a keeper who's mediocre at best in this field. The team will need a lot of time to adjust.

Swedish_Plumber

Sadly not seen a lot of the positives but a lot of the negatives that were promised when he signed.

It’s been a shite start for most of the players in our shirt though so I’m gonna give him a bit longer.

maximus419

He's too heavy, that affects his agility and inability to get down quickly to shots which is likely to unnerve him and cause poor errors.

Most of the saves the ball hits him, he doesn't have soft hands. He's an accident waiting to happen every match. Hope this Turkish keeper is up for the challenge because it won't be long before he has to step in.

James35

Not as good as De Gea at saving shots, I won’t have anyone tell me otherwise. Head and shoulders above him with his feet but unfortunately it has made zero positive difference to our play and actually we look worse for it due to others lack of composure and ability on the ball.

HookedOnAPhelan

What's so annoying is that Alisson or Ederson have never made any mistakes since joining Liverpool or City respectively. Not a single fecking mistake. They've always been perfect, every single game. Especially crunch games.

How can our rivals get it so right and we get it so wrong? :(

lilcurt

He made a mistake... that happens, DDG made many last season. The team needs to adapt to him. Let's judge him when he's had a run of games in something that would resemble the first 11.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I’m worried that we effectively wasted a season with De Gea last year and we are now in “year 1” of how Ten Hag wants to play.
Interesting. On the contrary, I think we got 3rd last season because De Gea was mopping up for our crappy defense who even at full strength are prone to brain farts. In that regard Onana is specifically to blame because he is a poorer shot stopper than David. He isn’t the insurance policy for our defenders that they rely on.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What's so annoying is that Alisson or Ederson have never made any mistakes since joining Liverpool or City respectively. Not a single fecking mistake. They've always been perfect, every single game. Especially crunch games.

How can our rivals get it so right and we get it so wrong? :(
This is sarcasm right?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He seems so unopposing physically for a goalkeeper. He made a very good save late on but there are early signs of concern with some of the goals he has conceded. And the team has been so mentally fragile for about six months now that any conceded goal has a big knock on effect to the performance level. Need to give him time though.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Don't understand why we gave Arsenal a free run at Raya for half the price, when our transfer budget was already severely restricted.

I guess if Raya had previously had a spell at Excelsior or Go Ahead Eagles, we would've surely been in for him.

flappyjay

Don't understand why we gave Arsenal a free run at Raya for half the price, when our transfer budget was already severely restricted.

I guess if Raya had previously had a spell at Excelsior or Go Ahead Eagles, we would've surely been in for him.
Didn't have any connection to our manager.

KeanoMagicHat

Onana is a far better keeper.

He's been fine until tonight's mistake. There has been nothing he could really have done about any of the goals. Our midfield has been non existent and allows about 20 runners at our box every game.

He needs to get his confidence back after being pilloried for his attempted murder in the first game, and his teammates need to stop being so shite.