Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Amira

I don't think replacing De Gea should have been a top priority, I also think he has a lot of improvement to do. However, I like him and I hope he does amazing for us.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Onana is like the blank char you get at the start of a quest rpg that you give attributes to. His footballing stats have been elevated in lieu of his keeping skills.

Someone on here mentioned he never has his feet sorted to make fundamental saving actions. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

Lost bear

Just watched Onana interviewed on TV. Poor guy, he really feel shit about his error. But he clearly cares. My heart goes out to him.

Dan_F

Interesting. On the contrary, I think we got 3rd last season because De Gea was mopping up for our crappy defense who even at full strength are prone to brain farts. In that regard Onana is specifically to blame because he is a poorer shot stopper than David. He isn’t the insurance policy for our defenders that they rely on.
I don’t think De Gea really did anything out of the ordinary in terms of shot stopping last season, but I don’t know, I spent 10 years watching De Gea and maybe I was just used to him making saves that other keepers struggle with.

I think it’s more like that we were playing far more conservatively last year and he’s been exposed than De Gea was.

Infestissumam

he'll be fine. Obviously cost us tonight with his error, but his ball playing ability can and will be an asset.

Von Mistelroum

Said this when we signed him. I didn't think he would do well here and sadly it looks likely that he won't. He does some things other keepers can't do, but does the things that other keepers usually do pretty badly.

ErikElevenHag

Don't think it'll be very unpopular off his body of work here so far.

Hes still got time to turn it around though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
White text?
Why would I need white text? He was quality for Inter. He's had a very good career. He is quality with the ball at his feet, he is an enormous improvement at dealing with crosses, he is normally an average to good shot stopper. He made a mistake today. Oh well. The club has been in shambles these past few months that it's tough for everyone to stay concentrated and error-free. We'll get through it, and he'll get through it and do better. Onana played well after that mistake, but yes the mistake was a costly one. Unfortunately though, we conceded 4 goals because of horrific team defending in general after we dropped our heads for going behind.

Oranges038

DDG was worse than he has been for about 4 years. And yet people on here still believe that he should have been kept...

So after 5 or 6 games, we'll write Onana off.

Seems fair.

redzombie

we always seem to need multiple attempts at getting the right GK, looks like replacing DDG is no exception

Raoul

Admin
Staff
DDG was worse than he has been for about 4 years. And yet people on here still believe that he should have been kept...

So after 5 or 6 games, we'll write Onana off.

Seems fair.
I think you'll find that most don't want DDG back, but are skeptical of why we spent so much on a new keeper, especially given that we have conceded far more goals than we did last year at this time.

JediSith

He’s no different to Allison or Ederson… but at United his strengths are not being utilised and his weaknesses are being exposed. In a way it’s like putting Zidane in the 90s Wimbledon team as cm in a 442.

Bur credit to him for keeping his head after the early mistake and also giving the interview. Right player, currently wrong team. Hopefully once everyone is fit and more likely next summer the signings change that.

theatreofdreams777

He's too heavy, that affects his agility and inability to get down quickly to shots which is likely to unnerve him and cause poor errors.

Most of the saves the ball hits him, he doesn't have soft hands. He's an accident waiting to happen every match. Hope this Turkish keeper is up for the challenge because it won't be long before he has to step in.
Be careful what you wish for. Altay is an even bigger calamity than Onana but without the ball playing skills. The Fenerbahçe fans couldn't wait to see the back of him after the individual mistakes he did. It was an absurd signing like most of Ten Hag's signings.

So far it looks like we basically wasted 55m and weakened our GK department but Onana still may come good.

RedIan

First goal was a howler but he did redeem him self afterwards witha couple of good saves., jury is out for me.

Degea was an awesome shot stopper but also made plenty of howlers too.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We've gone too far down the keeper being 'good with his feet' route before we have an outfield team that is ready for it.

We can't play a high line because we don't have appropriate CBs
The midfield can't keep the ball. At all.
The forwards can't hold up the ball. At all.

ErikElevenHag

I agree with you as goalkeeper you don't need to be able to ping a ball 30 40 yards we spend more time passing it the wrong way down the pitch anyway , but honestly who whispered in ETH ear to spend £70mil on him ?? I would have give him some change at half time for a bus ride home , except the pen and the last goal the other 2 wore training shots get rid before the team falls apart
Wasnt it 100m? Oh no it wasnt 70 either..

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think you'll find that most don't want DDG back, but are skeptical of why we spent so much on a new keeper, especially given that we have conceded far more goals than we did last year at this time.
Two things can be true at once.

1. We needed to spend that money on a new keeper.

2. We should have signed a different keeper.

1. Was 100% obviously true by the end of last season (actually long before then).

It’s still too early to be sure that 2. is true.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
My guess is Onana will still come good. Some players start very well at a new club, others need time.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
He is shite. Why is he sticking to his line? He should be coming out. What happened to him? He is far too passive
Same thing that other good players did, he put a United shirt on

Chief123

Arsenal won 4-0 tonight with Raya in the Sticks. Clean sheet.
Onana did not keep a clean sheet and even poppadum wrists the first one into the net himself.
What a terrible way of comparing the two keepers.

PSV aren’t Bayern.

sirAlexsglasses

We can’t judge him yet FFS, DDG had some right pelters in this forum, and now I’m reading “DDG saves this…..saves that”, yes he made a mistake but look at the state of the club right now and the pressure. He’s just come out which would have been hard and took ownership of that mistake and saying it cost us. Personally I rated DDG and thought we were good for another 2 seasons and we could concentrate elsewhere, but we can see where ETH is wanting to take us with a style of play, hard to do when you aren't getting your first choice player in ANY department and instead getting 3rd or 4th and free transfers.

MetoTTT

I don't think replacing De Gea should have been a top priority, I also think he has a lot of improvement to do. However, I like him and I hope he does amazing for us.
Agree. Mount shouldn't be a priority too imo but the manager wanted him badly. I like Onana and fingers crossed he'll do it here. Loved DDG but was furious when keeping the line and his ability to manage crosses + wages.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Lies. DDG saves the first two, no problems. He concedes the pen cos he’s shite at them, and the one into the roof of the net by Tel is 50/50 if he reacts in time.
You think he'd have saved the second? No chance.

Oranges038

Many wanted him kept, not brought back. He threw in worse goals than that in bigger games over a number of years, yet people still wanted him kept. But those same people have forgotten about all those and are willing to write his replacement off after a handful of games.

He'll be fine.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Jesus what a car crash of a thread. To perform to an elite level in goal, like Onana did last year for Inter may i add (specifically in the champions league run to the final), feeling settled in the team and comfortable in your surroundings, and confident etc makes a huge difference to performance levels. I remember when Allison joined Liverpool he was making mistakes and Klopp called him out on it. Onana is taking time to settle, plus we are fecking shite right now!

I have faith in him personally.

JediSith

So then why the feck did we spend £50m on him? And why did he agree to join?! :houllier:
Kim min-Jae was our first priority and the plan to bring in a “ball playing keeper” was for next summer. Matt Hargreaves fecked up the Kim Min-Jae signing so ETH likely decided to bring that signing forward.

As for Onana, that like saying why do manager’s join United when they know the club is run by clowns.

bstb3

6 competitive games and he's being written off? Good grief. Constantly changing defence in front, midfield with more holes than a golf course. I seem to remember Vidic and Evra having less than stellar starts too, good job we didn't bin them off. Give him time with a settled defence, balanced midfield and more confidence around him and then judge.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His best asset gets wasted time and time again because our out fielders are worse on the ball than he is.

We played out class this one time in the first half, got dalot running up the wing, with pellistri alongside and just the full back in front. Tries a square ball, as usual doesn't reach its target and martinez ended up having to make a last ditch tackle to stop them being though 1 v 1.
I swear he played that pass infield without looking :lol:

DavidDeSchmikes

looks like think he's overthinking on how to save that Sane goal

for now, I'm still backing him