Onana is sugar honey iced tea. We need a new keeper.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Onana has been shite at times but those trickle into the corner goals always look bad. I imagine as a goalkeeper you're unsighted and anticipating a completely different shot (because who shoots like that on purpose?).

ArmaDino

95% of the time pretty much any PL GK gets beaten by that shot.

So far really good performance from him. Stopped us conceding at least 2 goals.

el3mel

Guy is legit one of the worst keepers I have ever seen and I'm not overreacting. His reactions are painfully slow. I haven't seen a keeper who feels such slow and heavy whenever he jumps. Look at the 2nd goal, it was shot straight at him yet he took ages to jump.

Going from De Gea's inhuman reactions to this is painful.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Guy is legit one of the worst keepers I have ever seen and I'm not overreacting. His reactions are painfully slow. I haven't seen a keeper who feels such slow and heavy whenever he jumps. Look at the 2nd goal, it was shot straight at him yet he took ages to jump.

Going from De Gea's inhuman reactions to this is painful.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Atheist

Is his distribution significantly better than De Gea? I don’t really see it. His shot stopping skills on the other hand are questionable.

InfiniteBoredom

Keep laughing while he keeps on costing us games.
He didn’t cost us this game, bad as he was.

People should start seeing how hard it is to be a ball playing keeper for this team though, our CBs in the absence of Martinez is utterly hopeless at creating angles and none of the defenders + whoever we play at 6 at the moment is comfortable receiving under pressure, so we go long regardless. It was easy to blame De Gea but the cruel fact of the matter is we have recruited very badly and precious few of of our players have the requisite fundamentals to play a possession game, and any keeper will struggle playing out with that.

sebsheep

Keep laughing while he keeps on costing us games.
Can't believe he's caused us to lose again today. The performances from the rest of the team didn't deserve this!

Sanchez7

Is his distribution significantly better than De Gea? I don’t really see it. His shot stopping skills on the other hand are questionable.
The only thing you can say is that his short passing and composure on the ball is quite a bit better. Also, he seems comfortable with either foot which helps with the short passing.

He is worse in pretty much every other department though. Awful signing.

el3mel

He didn’t cost us this game, bad as he was.

People should start seeing how hard it is to be a ball playing keeper for this team though, our CBs in the absence of Martinez is utterly hopeless at creating angles and none of the defenders + whoever we play at 6 at the moment is comfortable receiving under pressure, so we go long regardless. It was easy to blame De Gea but the cruel fact of the matter is we have recruited very badly and precious few of of our players have the requisite fundamentals to play a possession game, and any keeper will struggle playing out with that.
We aren't talking about this though? We are talking about shot stopping ability which is garbage and this is his main job, not passing the ball.

DJW

The only thing you can say is that his short passing and composure on the ball is quite a bit better. Also, he seems comfortable with either foot which helps with the short passing.

Was genuinely excited to be getting a more comfortable keeper with the ball. Somehow we’ve ended up with the shot stopping and handling ability of a blind snake.

InfiniteBoredom

We aren't talking about this though? We are talking about shot stopping ability which is garbage and this is his main job, not passing the ball.
The shot stopping (and even aerial handling, he is rooted to his line as much as Dave was) is bad, but when you buy a keeper whose main strength is ball playing, you should make use of that. Allison and Ederson made their fair shares of blunders, but their strength gave so much for the team and the team in turn helped them showcase their strengths. We expose ours with a total mismatch in recruitment and playing philosophy then wonder how they don’t perform like prime Neuer every match.

el3mel

The shot stopping (and even aerial handling, he is rooted to his line as much as Dave was) is bad, but when you buy a keeper whose main strength is ball playing, you should make use of that. Allison and Ederson made their fair shares of blunders, but their strength gave so much for the team and the team in turn helped them showcase their strengths. We expose ours with a total mismatch in recruitment and playing philosophy then wonder how they don’t perform like prime Neuer every match.
Ball playing is a bonus. It can't cover for awful shot stopping. That's like saying "striker is garbage at scoring goals but he passes well". If you're bad at your main job, I don't care about any bonus skills you might have.

Alisson saved Liverpool multiple times so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Any keeper might make a big mistake from time to time but as I said, the problem with Onana is that his physical fitness and reactions are hilariously awful and you can't forgive that in a keeper. He takes ages to jump on a ball, for God's sake. I honestly don't remember watching any keeper that slow in his reaction. I saw a lot of bad keepers but when it comes to this specific point, Onana takes the cake.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Dave had blunders (as every gk has) but with Dave i was calm regarding shots. Dave was not just excellent shot stopper, his technique was great too. He would either catch the ball or push it away ftom goal (or above). Onana is calamity.
Also, it was nice to have a gk who can bail his team with some great save (as Alisson does for Pool).

Seveneric

Ball playing is a bonus. It can't cover for awful shot stopping. That's like saying "striker is garbage at scoring goals but he passes well". If you're bad at your main job, I don't care about any bonus skills you might have.
Tbf, if you were a regular here when Berbatov was in the team, the bolded isn’t too far off from what his defenders would say, so it’s par for the course

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
He’s done nothing to improve our style of play, he’s cost us CL qualification with his bizarre brain farts, the defense has no confidence in him and he doesn’t even seem to shout or boss his defence. A very poor transfer.

Yorke to Cole

He’s done nothing to improve our style of play, he’s cost us CL qualification with his bizarre brain farts, the defense has no confidence in him and he doesn’t even seem to shout or boss his defence. A very poor transfer.
I had my doubts from day one. I think I posted it on a discussion related to the United hour podcast earlier on in the season. The other issue is that he has to face a lot of shots which is not down to him, but he has never experienced that.

Stadjer

Dave had blunders (as every gk has) but with Dave i was calm regarding shots. Dave was not just excellent shot stopper, his technique was great too. He would either catch the ball or push it away ftom goal (or above). Onana is calamity.
Also, it was nice to have a gk who can bail his team with some great save (as Alisson does for Pool).
DDG usually did good on shots. That wasnt a worry indeed. My heart rate went up every time a ball was passed back to DDG though. :lol:

Skills

Snitch
Turns out a keeper who can't save shots is more detrimental, than one who can't pass the ball. Who'd have thought.

JagUTD

Turns out a keeper who can't save shots is more detrimental, than one who can't pass the ball. Who'd have thought.
And somehow we ended up with the one who can't save shots or pass all that well.

The modernest of modern keepers. United, leading the revolution.

sebsheep

Has he though? We've been woeful defensively the whole competition and been wasteful in attack in some of the games, and tonight when we needed to win to have any chance we created nothing against a half assed team.
Undoubtedly he's had a very bad CL but this team just hasn't performed well enough overall.

Just look at league where he's been fine and we're still poor.

Oscar Bonavena

He's definitely more comfortable with the ball at his feet than DDG and he can go left or right which gives him more options. With DDG, when the ball was at his feet it was heart in mouth time, you just wanted him not to try be too clever and just get f**king rid of it!

I also think Onana is much quicker off his line to play the sweeper-keeper role than DDG, which has probably helped, say, Harry Maguire, who doesn't have to constantly worry as much about balls in behind him as he knows Onana will sweep. Maybe that's why Maguire has played with more confidence this season.

But there's no getting away from his shot stopping ability, it's atrocious. Sometimes a player's basic goalkeeping ability or technique is so bad that no amount of other attributes will compensate, and I'm afraid Onana fits into that category.

Ahmer Baig

And the people here were creaming over the prospect of a goalkeeper who could pass as for them passing ball was more important than stopping shots.

croadyman

Erik won't be saying it in public obviously,however not giving Bayindir a go earlier in group stages has ultimately cost us qualification

Amarsdd

Don't think anyone could have saved the second goal, but it always looks like he dives after the ball has gone past him. It always looks kinda funny as well.