FAO arnie

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
What do you think of Murali's doosra?.Chris Broad, called it a suspect action and Elliot who cleared Murali's action way back in 96 says ..there does seem to be some extending of his action as he releases the ball
as its more than ten degree. Even Bedi is not convinced.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He is simply a cheat and a chucker. He should have been banned a long time ago. Haire was courageous enough to call him a few years ago and got slaughtered for it, which was a disgrace.

He isn't fit to lace Warne's boots (as a bowler since Warne is a dickhead in the personal sense).

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Wibble said:
He is simply a cheat and a chucker. He should have been banned a long time ago. Haire was courageous enough to call him a few years ago and got slaughtered for it, which was a disgrace.

He isn't fit to lace Warne's boots (as a bowler since Warne is a dickhead in the personal sense).
Excuse me,but you call a man with a physical deformity in his right arm since childhood a cheat??
A chucker,that i agree with.I hated the guy for ripping through every batting order on the dullest of pitches.
Vijay,correct me if im wrong but didnt BS Chandrashekhar have the same deformity?(his was due to polio i think).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Bullshit excuse.

He gets extra spin from snapping his arm straight half way through his action. Nothing to do with a deformity. Simply cheating. Should have been banned from the game a long time ago. If Warne had cheated in such a way he would have been.

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
Apparently, the ICC have done studies on the bowlers from all the Test nations... and they've found that 21 bowlers have 'dodgy' actions. I think it's easier to highlight nowadays as there are so many different camera angles.

However, I do agree with what's been said above. Murali does straighten his arm IMO. Which goes beyond a slight deformity.

From England... I've always said Gough 'chucked' the ball... by this I mean, he straightens his arm on delivery. At the other end of the scale Akhtar's got a hyper-extension....and his arm goes behind the perpendicular, when he's in his delivery stride. It's weird to see him throw the ball, with his double jointed arm. Sick stuff. I think it was Ian Botham who pointed it out in a game a Old Trafford.

I reckon there are a few others with deformities...but like I said above, I think Murali straightens his arm.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
DONADO said:
Excuse me,but you call a man with a physical deformity in his right arm since childhood a cheat??
A chucker,that i agree with.I hated the guy for ripping through every batting order on the dullest of pitches.
Vijay,correct me if im wrong but didnt BS Chandrashekhar have the same deformity?(his was due to polio i think).

No Donado,Chandra was different from Murali.I've watched Chandra only in the videos -his right arm was shrunken with polio but he was basically a wrist spinner.His best deliveries were topspinners,googlies and leg breaks and he was much faster than other spinners.His right arm hit by polio but his actions were never suspect.The polio made his wrist to rotate 360 degrees and he can deliver the ball with mixed pace from the back of his hand and it made him more unpredictable.

Murali's case is some what different.His arm is slightly bent coz of polio but when he rotates his wrists -it definitely gives extra spin when he flights the ball.But Murali's doosra is related more to his wrist action rather than his bent arm action IMO.

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
Interesting article....

I was right, most bowlers do 'chuck', infact according to the ICC 99% do.

...........................................................................................................................................................
Elliott okays Muralitharan doosra

Charlie Austin

April 18, 2004

Muttiah Muralitharan: the anxious wait is over ... or is it? © Getty Images

Bruce Elliott's biomechanics team at the University of Western Australia has concluded that Muttiah Muralitharan should be allowed to continue using his doosra until the completion of further biomechanical research into slow bowling.

But Muralitharan, who departed last week for Sri Lanka's tour of Zimbabwe, faces an anxious wait to see whether those conclusions are accepted because the results also show that he currently exceeds the flexing threshold that has been agreed by the ICC.

The Sri Lankan cricket board, privately upbeat after the reading the conclusions of Elliott's assessment of Muralitharan's doosra, which was e-mailed to the board on Wednesday, have refused to publicise the results until they have been analysed by a Bowling Review Group and sent to the ICC.

The board also wants to seek the ICC's advice on the issue. They will argue that the permitted "levels of tolerance" for spin bowlers be urgently reviewed because they are impractical. Their strict enforcement would theoretically leave too many international bowlers facing bans.

Tolerance levels were recently introduced by the ICC - although not into the Laws of Cricket - because research into fast bowling indicated that some degree of elbow straightening was identified in 99% of cases. The natural elbow flexion spanned from 3 to 20 degrees.

After the completion of these studies, fast bowlers were permitted to straighten by 10 degrees, medium pacers 7.5 degrees and spinners five degrees. The ICC also committed itself to further research, particularly into the biomechanics of spin bowling.

The Muralitharan report will not only argue that the tolerance levels are too low, but also question whether the correct criterion for distinguishing the appropriate threshold should be the current pace of the delivery or the speed of the arm - Muralitharan's arm speed is similar to a fast bowler.

Muralitharan's arm bend hovers around the 10-degree mark, a level that the University of Western Australia team have concluded does not give him an unfair advantage over batsman or other bowlers.

Muralitharan is keen to use the delivery during the forthcoming tour of Zimbabwe, but the Sri Lanka board may insist he relies on his offbreak and orthodox top-spinner until guidance is provided by the ICC on whether he would risk being reported again, were he to use it after the initial six-week stage one process for dealing with suspect deliveries.

© Wisden Cricinfo Ltd