FAO Tonypark

tilo

I remember Giggs once talked about an Irish guy who came through just before him I think who was incredible but career was ended by a car running over him in the car park or something similar.. Very hazy memory this but if youve heard anything about this Tony could you give us some info.. Respect!

julesee

Was it Adrian Doherty? He was the star of the youth set up at one point...

julesee

was a little skillful winger - might even have been called aidan doherty...not quite sure...

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Adrian Doherty

Adrian Doherty was born in Strabane, County Tyrone on the 10th June 1973. He signed as an associate schoolboy for United on the 19th November 1987 after representing Derry & District Schools and later Northern Ireland Schools.

Adrian was one the fastest wingers that many people have aver seen......the United scouts said he 'could catch pigeons' he was that quick. A two footed Ryan Giggs, he made his reserve team debut at 16 and was called into the first team for a trip to QPR in 1990/91 but was not named in the squad. When he turned seventeen he was called up into Billy Bingham's U/21 team but Fergie withdrew him as he thought Doherty was too young.

A Northern Ireland U/17 youth international, he was rated by many as being better than Giggs, however in February 1991 he was injured in a 'A' team fixture at Carlisle and was diagnosed with a cruciate knee injury. In his comeback game in December 1991 he injured his knee once again and did not play for over a year. He made one further comeback in January 1993 but after a handful of games it was clear that his career was over.

One coach commented that of all the lads at the club at the time only Giggs, Scholes and Doherty were certs to make the grade. And......'while Wilson had a great left foot with pace, and Scholes could use both feet brilliantly but lacked pace, Doherty had it all'.....

After retiring from the game he moved back to Ireland. Then in June 2000 he suffered a tragic accident in Amsterdam and was found dead. He was only twenty-seven years old.

Doherty won six Northern Ireland Schoolboy caps.

Not sure what Ron Atkinson was on about as Doherty arrived a year after Atkinson was sacked and Fergie was revamping the whole youth set-up. Atkinson may well have seen him in trials or after he left........

Finally, I have never heard of any United player being run over in a car park or anything like this.......in 1967, Bobby Noble was injured in a car accident and never played again.....so you may have heard this story....

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
The fellow I'm thinking of, I wish I could remember his name but that's not the point, was supposed to be a total world beater, but then after spending a while at United he just disappeared down the leagues, and played in the conference for a couple of years before retiring. Another player Atkinson mentioned, incidentally, was Lee Hendrie!

mojo

TonyPark said:
After retiring from the game he moved back to Ireland. Then in June 2000 he suffered a tragic accident in Amsterdam and was found dead. He was only twenty-seven years old.
Not heard that before. What a tragedy.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
samabachan said:
The fellow I'm thinking of, I wish I could remember his name but that's not the point, was supposed to be a total world beater, but then after spending a while at United he just disappeared down the leagues, and played in the conference for a couple of years before retiring. Another player Atkinson mentioned, incidentally, was Lee Hendrie!
Can't think who that might have been........and can't think of any 'world beater' in our youth set-up during the Atkinson regime who didn't make it...

....but in relation to Hendrie, Atkinson put him in the same bracket as Norman Whiteside as a kid at Villa....

julesee

Jesus i didnt realise he was killed...that's really sad....

Midfield

Red
Phillip Marsh

The last time I heard about Phillip Marsh was that he have a role as a defender/fullback. But I read in some magazine that Marshy also playing upfront partnering with Burns as a striker :confused:

He playing as a defender or as a striker?

ManRyan

samabachan said:
Well if he had it all, and Giggs didn't ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................he looks like a worldbeater to me................

PS18

midfieldred said:
The last time I heard about Phillip Marsh was that he have a role as a defender/fullback. But I read in some magazine that Marshy also playing upfront partnering with Burns as a striker :confused:

He playing as a defender or as a striker?
mainly as a striker this season, but he's played pretty much everywhere during his time with us.