Federer v Nadal | 2008 Wimbledon Final - was this the greatest sporting match of all time?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
15 years ago today. Two players at their absolute peak. Insane tennis. Still the best sporting event I’ve seen in terms of quality produced over such a long period.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It’s certainly in the top 5, it was absolutely epic.

The 2006 Ryder Cup was up there too.

galwayfa

Unbelievable game of tennis, two supreme elite athletes at their peak playing at their peak at same game,

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Was Federer really at his peak though? He probably declined after 2007 and had back problems during the 2008 season.

Vernon Philander

It’s a shame they had to slow the grass surface down that much. Glorified hard court tbh

Ladron de redcafe

Was Federer really at his peak though? He probably declined after 2007 and had back problems during the 2008 season.
He was struggling badly with his form that year after getting Mono. Losing to Mardy Fish and Roddic and was pretty obviously way from top form.

Nadal was sensational and the match is an all time epic because people have taken it as a changing of the guard moment, but the quality wasn't as high as you'd think. Federer's ground game was awful and Rafa himself was much better in 2010. The first 4 sets of their 2009 Australian open match was leaps above this one, if we are talking just quality. As is the 5th set of their 2017 AO match.

Zen

Federer was no way near his actually level. No.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Seems a bit revisionists to say fed was at his peak in 2008. He was just that damn good.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
It’s certainly in the top 5, it was absolutely epic.

The 2006 Ryder Cup was up there too.
2006 ryder cup? Wasnt that a whitewash? 2012 was the dramatic one "Miracle at Medinah"

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
2006 ryder cup? Wasnt that a whitewash? 2012 was the dramatic one "Miracle at Medinah"
I might be misremembering but I’m sure that was the year where the standard of golf was just absolutely insane, with ludicrously long putts being holed all the time like it was nothing n

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I might be misremembering but I’m sure that was the year where the standard of golf was just absolutely insane, with ludicrously long putts being holed all the time like it was nothing n
Ah fair enough, you are talking about the standard. I was thinking of the thread in terms of drama as well as skill.

Yorke to Cole

I did not watch the first of their 3 Wimbledon finals in 06 (It was the same day as the World Cup Final between France V Italy). I just expected Federer to thrash Nadal. However, when I spoke to a friend of mine who is an avid Tennis fan. He said Nadal gave a good account of himself (in his first final away from Roland Garros. One or two points here and there and it could have gone 5 sets in stead of 4.

The second final in 07 was great. Even though Federer prevailed over 5, you could see Nadal was starting to make inroads on the Federer game away from clay. Federer's serve won him the match, but Nadal was improving his ground strokes, particularly the two handed, back hand, ( which allowed him to turn defence into attack in a rally.)

As mentioned during this discussion, Federer was not in great form in 2008. Another example, I throw in this is the Roland Garros final. Federer only won 4 games during this match including the final set to love.

I remember during the past match discussion, John Lloyd (correctly in my opinion) highlighted that although Nadal was favourite to win that final, for Federer to lose a final in that manner has consequences. He said other top and upcoming players start" looking at you differently in the changing room and start thinking is their "crack in your armour".

Sue Barker suggested that Federer was still favourite for the upcoming Wimbledon, but Lloyd responded "maybe, but they played a close final (in 2007) and I would interested to see those odds."

The final itself. I am not sure, again I think another poster is right In that the Australian Open final 2009, was exceptionally high standard. Remember there were rain delays during 08 Wimbledon final and in all honesty it looked like Nadal was going to straight set Federer, if not for the interruptions and Nadal himself getting tight on break points and during the tie break in the third.

I think it was an epic and/ or iconic final. I am not sure it was the greatest?

I do not think Federer was at his best post 08 and certainly 09. The introduction of Djokovic's long standing run and Murray meant it was more difficult for Federer to impose himself on consecutive grand slams. His best work was the 2012 Wimbledon where beat Djokovic in the semis and then Murray in the fina. That back hand was as lethal as his forehand during his early 20's.

berbasloth4

Pdc world championship final 2007 worth a shout I know not athletic or anything but was unreal to watch.

Taylor trialled 3-0 I think looked like it be a non contest. Went down to sudden death. Think Taylor won 9/10 legs vs Barney Barney looked like he was beat and deflated and ended up winning the sudden death.