Free Online Game: Red Alert - very easy to play!

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
We're starting to play some old school RTS Games that are FREE to download. The download and install are easy and very quick (<2mins!) Please note, as these games are very, very old any computer can run them.

Look for room name 'Redcafe' - Password is 'Jonah'

Any players welcome, the games are not too complex and we are by no means pro.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Alert 1

Games normally last around 30mins long. A really easy game to play if you're new to RTS games.
> Download here <

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiberian Sun
This is the next game in the Command and Conquer franchise.

> Download here <

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Tutorials

Tip #1: Pick Soviet and you may win!

Soviet buildings:

Additional Tips:
  • You will need several power stations to power your base.​
  • It's wise to have duplicates of the Ore Refineries, Barracks, War Factories, Airfields and Construction Yards. The speed of making buildings and units are determined by the amount of each building you have. If you have 4 war factories, you'll be able to produce vehicles far faster than a player with only 1!​
  • Helicopters are a bit of a nuisance in this game. You can build additional helicopters that will land next to your helipad, but they can only rearm themselves by landing on a helipad. So it's more efficient to build several helipads as they'll reload far quicker.​
  • A service depot is a very important building as it unlocks the ability to build more Construction Yards (which will appear in the form of a truck coming out of your war factory). If you only have 1 Construction Yard you'll be vulnerable as if it's taken out you will no longer be able to make buildings.​
  • Planes, these guys are lethal in numbers. Be wary of anyone with a large number of planes as they will go for someones base, they should be your first target if you have a nuke ready.​
Soviet Units/Defence:

Additional Tips:
  • Early game you'll need some infantry, late game they're best used in your base as additional defence.
  • Tanks, Soviets are overpowered in this game. They have amazing ground units that will hammer the allies. Heavy Tanks can be lethal in large groups, Mammoth tanks are slow and expensive but packs a punch. Tesla Tanks are weak but extremely powerful and in numbers can destroy the world.
  • V2 Rockets are a pain, I hate them. They're fairly quick and deal excellent damage, you can harass with these things early game and I'll be pulling my hair out.
  • In case you thought Soviets seemed a bit unbalanced, they also have the best defensive turrets in the game. The Tesla Coil is weak granted, but can deal mental damage that will tear an army apart. Like in the screenshot, it needs a little protection, so give it some anti air support and a few tanks. The Flame Tower is a bit useless really, useful early game if a player is pumping out infantry but other than that avoid.
  • SAM Sites. Soviets have planes, planes are wankers. Build SAM Sites in your base, protect your important buildings first. Also build Rocket infantry, put them around the perimeter of your base. If you don't defend against Air, a decent Soviet player will take you down very quickly.
How to make money:

Additional Tips:
  • You need lots of Ore Harvesters to allow you a steady stream of money coming in. You will get 1 free Ore Harvester every time you build the Ore Refinery, but you can make more Ore Harvesters at the War Factory.
  • The player that controls the Ore will tend to win the game, so it's a good tactic to build a second base near a large Ore Field, or send an army to protect it.
  • Crates appear at random on the map, this can be on land or on water! They don't always contain money, but when they do expect roughly 3000.
Known Tactics:
Plane Rush: This is when a Soviet player will build 4/5 airfields with Planes quickly (normally in the first 15mins of the game). They will then target a player who has minimal anti air defences. With 5 planes you can destroy a Construction Yard in 1 attack. Once the Construction Yard is destroyed that player has effectively lost. You can stop this tactic by either building Rocket Infantry and Anti Air Turrets and surround your critical buildings. Or you can build more than 1 Construction Yard, this will only slow the rusher down, so best bet is to build plenty of anti air!

Tanya Rush: This is a weakness of mine. Tanya is a commando unit who can take out Buildings using Explosives, she can wipe out infantry very quickly! Both Soviets and Allies can build her. If a Tanya gets in your base early then you're screwed. The problem is that its very hard to stop her if she's in an APC. Soviets can also use a Chinook to transport her into a base as well! As Soviets, Tesla Coils/Tesla Tanks will take her out in one hit. As Allies you'll have a horrible time trying to kill her. Pillboxes (defensive turret) need to be placed everywhere.

Boat Rush: Boats are the Allies biggest strength in this game. Destroyers sink submarines while Cruisers will bombard any buildings/units near water into submission. Carriers are very expensive though! So early on you shouldn't expect to find too many, but if the Allies can control the water in the map then the Soviets will be screwed. In this scenario, Soviets need to build a navy of submarines and fast! Use planes to take out harbours (to slow down boat production).

Those are the 3 most common tactics you'll see in the game. There are other ways of taking out an enemy player. Taking out their harvesters will slow down their money production. Defending crucial choke points in maps can be vital! Timing when to attack an opponent is also important. But normally you'll have some great battles between players and have fun screaming at Silent Running and his brilliant plays.

Last edited:

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
I just realised it's hosted externally anyway.

Room is 'Redcafe'
Pass is 'Jonah'

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I haven't played this in feckin years. How long does a game last and does it matter if my internet is slow, will that affect the game for everyone else?

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Master tactician I am. After the third suicide mission I should have came up with a better plan. My ore collectors had a fine game

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Why did the crates stop spawning?

LordNilson moving everything including his base up to my base crippled my early game. Those damn planes.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
2ND GAME STARTING SOON. JOIN WITHIN THE NEXT 10 MINUTES IF YOU WANT TO PLAY

1st time players welcome, if you are a fan of strategy games. The standard is low, so you have a chance.

King_Eric

It's been ages since I played it. Wouldn't mind trying it again, just for fun. Downloading as we speak. Hope I'm not too late already?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm busy muddling through wine and crossover trying to get it to work. I have a mac with a windows partition which would be easier but it's all the way downstairs.
We'll be starting in a few mins! So make your choice, we'll probably play a few more times anyway (maybe not tonight) as it's a good giggle.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
What do I do next? I've installed it and im on the page with loads of names at the side