Gabriel Torres - second trial?

M160RA

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=22364

Manchester United are taking another look at exciting Panama youngster Gabriel Torres.
Now 18, Torres has been invited to Old Trafford for a second trial in February by United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

The midfielder or forward impressed during a trial in October.
Tony, or anyone else who watches the U18s...how did this kid look back in October?

I assume if United do take him on, he'll follow a similar route to Dong and Mamam and go to Antwerp?

M160RA

McCool said:
Chepo FC? Is that where we're reduced to recruiting from these days?

:lol:
:confused:

We've recruited players from all sorts of clubs...what's wrong with this one?

PS18

i presume mccool is referring to the name of the club - chepo (or 'cheapo')

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
M160RA said:
http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=22364

Tony, or anyone else who watches the U18s...how did this kid look back in October?
I assume if United do take him on, he'll follow a similar route to Dong and Mamam and go to Antwerp?
First I've heard.....he didn't play any competitive games so was obviously over training for a few weeks.....

I'll do some digging...

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
This from a Panama based newspaper....

Manchester United to look at Gabriel Torres
by Eric Jackson

The youngest player yet to take the field for Panama's national soccer team and captain of our national under-20 squad will surely play in Panama again as an international, but it seems that Gabriel Torres's days with ANAPROF are over. A member of the national champion San Francisco teams of the last two years while on loan for Chepo FC, Torres was taken to Manchester earlier this year by coach Gary Stempel and told that the club might get back with him. Now the storied English team has asked for Torres to go back to Manchester at the end of February, this time at the club's expense, for a one-month tryout.

Stempel thinks that Torres has a good shot with the Manchester United organization, but that "it's not a question of him going into the first team" right away. Typically the club will sign a promising youngster and then loan him out to a lesser team in a lower division or a smaller European league to develop, something akin to the way that major league baseball teams sign athletes and then assign them to their farm teams.

Even if Manchester decides to pass on Torres, Stempel said that ANAPROF won't see him again because some team in a higher caliber and better paying league than our professional scene has to offer will surely pick him up, if not in Europe then in one of the larger Latin American countries.

With Panama's defensively oriented under-20 teams, Torres was as likely as not to be the one seen streaking down the field on an offensive break, either as scorer or play maker. He's a "multi-functional player," Stempel noted, one whose threat is "not just down the middle. He's very quick, very comfortable on the ball, has a very good eye for the goal and puts players into play. He's one of the brightest potentials I have seen here in Panama."

Because he was a loaner from Chepo, that lower division team rather than San Francisco would pick up the FIFA mandated transfer fee when Torres goes to play abroad. Stempel's San Francisco, which plays in La Chorrera, however, will be known as the place where he made his professional start.