German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yes, it's all about fan culture holding clubs back. Get rid of these fans and jack up ticket prices and suddenly Union Berlin is going to challenge Bayern. That's the way it's playing out in your head, right?
Getting rid of the fans somehow does contradict the purpose of a football club, doesn't it? :lol:

I truly don't get why people think this way

stw2022

People like @stw2022 really don't seem to get that German clubs are actually that - clubs, consisting of people who love it and who would never accept pricing themselves out of visiting it.

It's not like the PL where no clubs exist, just entertainment corporations. People hated Woodward for his "Disneyland proposal" to Klopp, but he was quite right about it. The PL is just that.

Yeah and look at where that got Manchester United. It isn't about "Disney" it's about financial manipulation that makes the league uncompetitive as it starves clubs of essential revenues.

Tomorrow if City, Newcastle, United (if Qatari bid is successful) decides replica shirts would be sold for £1- because they could afford to take the hit - they wouldn't technically be setting the price for every other club. What they would be doing is making it far, far more difficult for other clubs to set the prices of their replica shirts at the level they needed to I order to obtain the level of financial income from it that they needed to.

It's fine for the state- backed clubs. How many £65 home shirts are Luton Town going on sell if Man United are selling theirs for a fraction of the price?

Yet the sarcastic charge of "Oh so United are setting replica shirt prices for other clubs now then?" would be just as valid

Low ticket prices are starving clubs in Germany of the possibility of being competitive. If Bayern tomorrow had a situation where they do in other leagues where teams had to compete and they found themselves having to fight to get into the CL on a regular basis do you think they'd seek further financial advantage by looking at increasing match day revenue or do you think they'd accept their new fate and morally pontificate how it isn't the "German way" to charge comparable prices that other top clubs across the continent charge?

It's the "fan culture " because it suits the dominant financial power in that league for the current state of affairs to exist. Pretending otherwise really is some Disney bollocks. Other club's inability to compete financially still being seen as an asset of German football is why it's being left behind.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeah and look at where that got Manchester United. It isn't about "Disney" it's about financial manipulation that makes the league uncompetitive as it starves clubs of essential revenues.

Tomorrow if City, Newcastle, United (if Qatari bid is successful) decides replica shirts would be sold for £1- because they could afford to take the hit - they wouldn't technically be setting the price for every other club. What they would be doing is making it far, far more difficult for other clubs to set the prices of their replica shirts at the level they needed to I order to obtain the level of financial income from it that they needed to.

It's fine for the state- backed clubs. How many £65 home shirts are Luton Town going on sell if Man United are selling theirs for a fraction of the price?

Yet the sarcastic charge of "Oh so United are setting replica shirt prices for other clubs now then?" would be just as valid

Low ticket prices are starving clubs in Germany of the possibility of being competitive. If Bayern tomorrow had a situation where they do in other leagues where teams had to compete and they found themselves having to fight to get into the CL on a regular basis do you think they'd seek further financial advantage by looking at increasing match day revenue or do you think they'd accept their new fate and morally pontificate how it isn't the "German way" to charge comparable prices that other top clubs across the continent charge?

It's the "fan culture " because it suits the dominant financial power in that league for the current state of affairs to exist. Pretending otherwise really is some Disney bollocks. Other club's inability to compete financially still being seen as an asset of German football is why it's being left behind.
If the club members think it's fine to charge a lot, it will happen. It's simply that they just don't think so and would sack any board that tries to outprice them out of their own stadium.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

It's the "fan culture " because it suits the dominant power in the league for the current state of affairs to exist. Pretending otherwise really is some Disney bollocks.
Why don't you look at facts for once:
  • check the revenue of Bundesliga clubs
  • check how big the gap towards Bayern is
  • check what a small piece of the pie matchday revenue is - even for PL clubs
  • then put 1 and 1 together and explain to me how many times over these clubs are supposed to increase their ticket prices to get even close to effect you're proposing here
p.s. Bayern are rich enough to dominate Bundesliga, but they (feel that they) need every cent they can get to compete in the CL. So if it was that simple they'd have pumped up their prices ages ago.

stw2022

It's simply a coincidence that the financial structure of German football means the dominant power hss been able to operate with scant competition for the last decade, I'm sure.

The reckoning will come when/if the appeal of the league to broadcasters affects Bayern's ability to stay competitive in Europe as the value of the product doesn't keep pace with income other clubs on the continent can receive. Once that happens the financial settlement of the German league will change forever and when it does I want to get printed a t-shirt that says "But, fan culture..."

The "culture" of unequal TV rights distribution wouldn't change though, I suspect. Another proud tradition of the altruistic German league that puts other leagues to shame.

Last edited:

NoLogo

It's simply a coincidence that the financial structure of German football means the dominant power hss been able to operate with scant competition for the last decade, I'm sure.

The reckoning will come when/if the appeal of the league to broadcasters affects Bayern's ability to stay competitive in Europe as the value of the product doesn't keep pace with income other clubs on the continent can receive. Once that happens the financial settlement of the German league will change forever and when it does I want to get printed a t-shirt that says "But, fan culture..."

The "culture" of unequal TV rights distribution wouldn't change though, I suspect. Another proud tradition of the altruistic German league that puts other leagues the shame.
I think it already is, if I remember correctly the top two German leagues were always able to increase their TV revenue until the last deal was negotiated which was overall worse than the previous deal.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

The "culture" of unequal TV rights distribution wouldn't change though, I suspect. Another proud tradition of the altruistic German league that puts other leagues to shame.
You were talking about ticket prices and now it's the "financial structure"?

But then it's unequal TV rights distribution, I assume, because you think it would be easier for the clubs behind Bayern to challenge them if they had less TV money?

You're jumping around different things so much, I struggle to discern what point you're actually trying to make. Other than fan friendly = terrible of course.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Wins the golden boot despite missing several months.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
In theory the league should be the exemplar for the rest of Europe with it's ownership rules, but 11 in a row doesn't leave it a leg to stand on
50+1 sounds nice on paper, and it is. But it cannot compete with money laundering sheikh money and TV contracts that fans somehow are dumb enough to finance or Russian oligarch money... I mean the English have zero morals where the money comes from. And it doesn't matter how pure your goals are, if you don't do that, you'll lose out in the end. When Pep gets billions to play around and can buy 5 players at ridiculous prices just to see if he can use one of them and sells the rest on, 50+1 means jack shit.

Bayern doesn't win 11 in a row cos the league is shite. Bayern wins 11 in a row cos they aren't competing in the league anymore, by their own understanding. Their main competition is UCL. When they build teams, they build them to beat Madrid, Barca and whatever EPL flavor team of the year happens to do well that season. Nobody in Germany aside from Dortmund and maybe Leipzig registers on their radar. So yeah, the league is shit. They need to stop whining about Bayern and git gud. Honestly, this season has been the weakest Bayern you'll have seen in a long time. It's only going to get worst from here for the league.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Low ticket prices make many clubs unable to compete.
Nonsense. Ticket revenue makes only a small fraction of the clubs revenue. International marketing TV marketing is where the Bundesliga seriously fell behind.

It's fine for Bayern to keep prices for fans low because they have commercial revenues to compensate. Other teams don't. A club languishing midtable will need that investment far more than Bayern does yet if the best club in the country is charging very little for entry it had a tremendous downward pressure on what other teams can charge
Bayern is setting the prices for other clubs. Even if the clubs doubled ticket prices, they would be insignificant compared to the TV revenue the EPL gets especially from international marketing of the league.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
This clash between Bayern bosses and Kahn is hilarious. FC Hollywood can't even enjoy the title because they're all at each others throats.

es-muellert

Supports
Bayern München
The problem of the Bundesliga isn't the national broadcasting revenue. There they are pretty much on par with the rest.

It's the intentional marketing of the broadcasting rights. I definitely believe the right investor could have increased this revenue drastically.
but why? In terms of revenue Germany is already ahead of Italy and Spain and that although the Spanish League has much more appeal for the huge latin audience that exists globally (due to the language). And regardless of native languages, Spanish and English are both much more common for people to learn as a foreign language.

The premier league is ahead of everybody and also has a competitive advantage due to language.

Also, both these Leagues have more than one competitive team. This wouldn't have changed with the investor but he would rather have cemented the status quo.

So what's the reasoning for your assumption?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Low ticket prices make many clubs unable to compete. It's fine for Bayern to keep prices for fans low because they have commercial revenues to compensate. Other teams don't. A club languishing midtable will need that investment far more than Bayern does yet if the best club in the country is charging very little for entry it had a tremendous downward pressure on what other teams can charge

Yet everyone thinks that's a great thing about German football. If other clubs could match Bayerns commercial income they'd be charging Premier League prices for season tickets to maintain the financial advantage, no doubt about that.
So increase prices out of the fans reach, hope you'll travel down to fill the stadium in Augsburg just so they can catch Bayern.

The local fans want to go to the stadium see their favourite local lad compete. What's the point of having a club in your city and you can't afford to watch

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Early goal for HSV. I hope they can overtake Heidenheim today.
Both playing the bottom two clubs away aren't they?

Dortmund would probably find a way to lose to one of them if they needed to win the league. :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
These guys today aren't holding back with the red cards.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Heidenheim are going to bottle this, aren't they? Embarassing, would never happen to a serious club!

Blackwidow

Heidenheim are going to bottle this, aren't they? Embarassing, would never happen to a serious club!
HSV directly up and Heidenheim would have to play relegation against Stuttgart - 80 km distance between the two clubs...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
HSV directly up and Heidenheim would have to play relegation against Stuttgart - 80 km distance between the two clubs...
Stuttgart should annihilate any of those teams.. unless they bottle it!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hamburg .. :nervous:

The stadium announcer congratulated HSV, meanwhile there's 11 minutes of stoppage time in Regensburg and Heidenheim just got a penalty to equalize. It's 2001 all over again.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
So that makes the Bundesliga finish the least dramatic one of all 3 Bundesligas...this is insane. :)

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
HSV is starting to run out of ways to fail though, the football gods seem to invent a new scenario every season to torment them.
But HSV-Stuttgart sounds like a fun matchup and maybe they've learned their lesson after last year's collapse.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Most likely scenario for a HSV promotion seems to be an enlargement of the Bundesliga to 20 teams.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
HSV is starting to run out of ways to fail though, the football gods seem to invent a new scenario every season to torment them.
But HSV-Stuttgart sounds like a fun matchup and maybe they've learned their lesson after last year's collapse.
Stuttgart have to be massively favoured and I don't think today's drama will necessarily help Hamburg mentally.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Stuttgart have to be massively favoured and I don't think today's drama will necessarily help Hamburg mentally.
Looking at the way Stuttgart play, I thought that in half of their games this season. And still they ended up in the relegation playoff. But yeah, barring a defensive collapse, I can't really see them losing to Hamburg

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

feck me. Leverkusen missing on that meme as well. It's time to change the distribution of TV money.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
I agree about the drama part but I'm less convinced about Stuttgart's quality. Every year everyone says they're way better than their league position suggests but there's gotta be a reason they keep flirting with relegation.