Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Just feel the need to post as a dissenting voice. He isn’t good enough and doesn’t have the personality to manage a big club. Please, please don’t do this Jim!

It would honestly be a real kick in the balls and stamp out any hope of Ineos making a difference. Absolutely gutting if true.

Marcus

Potter is a much better communicator in English that's for sure. And if we are looking to have a team full of young hungry players willing to listen to instructions, this could work.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If we choose Potter while Flick, Zidane, Conte, Lopetegui are sitting on their asses it will be just more of the same.

Chelsea chewed him in few months, and we are in the simillar possition. Maybe even worse one (no crazy money).

And its no coincidence that our two best manager since 2013 had best CVs of all managers. UTD needs best manager available not some crazy projects. It's tough job.
Yeah, and the added risk with us is that we'd give them even more time even if it's clear the job is too big for them, unlike Chelsea who at least got rid fairly quickly.

Hughes35

Would be such a bad choice. Chelsea are a bit of a mess but Potter made a pigs ear of it.

Changing tactics and formation every 5 minutes will never end well.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Funny how a few bad months at a dire club like Chelsea have turned Potters reputation to shit.

If he had never have gone people would be frothing at the mouth for him

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Potter is a much better communicator in English that's for sure. And if we are looking to have a team full of young hungry players willing to listen to instructions, this could work.
So long as you're not bad why does this matter? How many managers have won the premier league where English is their native tongue?

Marcus

So long as you're not bad why does this matter? How many managers have won the premier league where English is their native tongue?
I guess what I meant was that he is like Ten Hag but maybe can communicate better the detailed instructions? Ah but you are right in terms of track record of title-winning managers.

Gavinb33

Would be such a bad choice. Chelsea are a bit of a mess but Potter made a pigs ear of it.

Changing tactics and formation every 5 minutes will never end well.
You don't think the reason for changing is because he came in mid point of a season with 10+ new players and needed to try and find something that worked, normally all the tinkering he did would be done in pre season and come start of season he would have it down to what he wanted.

Conor

There is no way we should be hiring someone that just flopped, it would make far more sense to keep Ten Hag than to replace him with Potter.

didz

I still think that Ten Hag in his optimal conditions is better than Potter in his optimal conditions, but if we do manage to get Ashworth in (which personally, I see as unlikely) then at least there's a proven working relationship there.

People who work well together tend to get better results than those who don't.

Eddy_JukeZ

Personally think he'd be a lateral move after ETH.

Rather look elsewhere. Xabi Alonso or De Zerbi would be more exciting hires.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Maybe that's because Pocchetino is also crap.

Seriously though, look at Potter's managerial record and tell me why he is even being considered for the Man Utd job (besides the fact that he is English and somewhat young). His win rate with Brighton was 31%, and at Chelsea it was 39%. If that's who we are going for, we might as well stick with ETH, in my opinion.
It's arguable to say part of why Brighton are doing so well was the foundation that Potter built and left.

If we are talking win percentages, he left after 7 games of the season gone (6 in the league) with a 71% win rate for those games. Brighton were 4th after 6 games.
Small sample size granted, but Di Zerbi walked into a well drilled side who were flying at that point.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
ETH needs to go but Potter ain’t it.

Robbie Boy

Just feel the need to post as a dissenting voice. He isn’t good enough and doesn’t have the personality to manage a big club. Please, please don’t do this Jim!

It would honestly be a real kick in the balls and stamp out any hope of Ineos making a difference. Absolutely gutting if true.
This.

Crimson King

You shouldn't be able to crash as hard as he did at Chelsea and then somehow end up as manager of a football giant like Manchester United. It's the definition of failing upwards.

And for everyone saying he deserves another chance because Chelsea are a basket case right now...yeah, he does, just not at United, who are arguably an even bigger mess at the moment.

It would completely devour the bloke. There wouldn't even be any bones left by the time we sack him.

Oldyella

Yeah, and the added risk with us is that we'd give them even more time even if it's clear the job is too big for them, unlike Chelsea who at least got rid fairly quickly.
That's the Glazers though. We have a new structure and we don't know how they would act moving forwards.

I think it might well work out, but its a big risk.

Revan

Assumptionman
If we want to sign lots of young players, building a good team, but not planning to compete in the next 2-3 years, he could be a decent choice.

If we want to compete in the next 2-3 years, stay clear of him. But we won't compete in the next 2-3 years anyway.

At this stage I would prefer him than 'winners' like Conte or Zidane who need a ready-made squad. But we can probably do better than him (e.g., Flick, Nagelsmann).

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Funny how a few bad months at a dire club like Chelsea have turned Potters reputation to shit.

If he had never have gone people would be frothing at the mouth for him
He was hired in the middle of an ongoing season, with 9 new signings already needing to be integrated and then given 9 further new players in January with a WC break squeezed in between and then he was sacked when he predictably failed to get 18 new signings to gel without a preseason to and without a chance to trim the squad to a reasonable level. The squad was so big some new players had to get changed in adjacent rooms or in hallways.

Chelsea did Potter dirty. They lured him away from a really good situation, gave him an impossible task and then sacked him. He was set up to fail, and now here we are, with Potter's replacement, who walked into an infinitely better situation, with a whole preseason, with a trimmed down squad, still sitting in an ugly 10th position.

If I was Potter, United would not be my first job back into football. I don't see it ending well. The pressure to succeed straight away is too high, especially if the mandate is to fix the mess left by the previous manager. I thought Spurs, post Kane, would be a decent place to land for him but that job became available too soon. But perhaps a team like West Ham or a team abroad

Last edited:

Hughes35

You don't think the reason for changing is because he came in mid point of a season with 10+ new players and needed to try and find something that worked, normally all the tinkering he did would be done in pre season and come start of season he would have it down to what he wanted.
Changing tactic game to game isn't as bad. Changing multiple times per game is not viable.

It was a very rookie mistake in my opinion..... Playing Sterling as a wingback as well. I hope we go nowhere near him.

Gordon Godot

I still think that Ten Hag in his optimal conditions is better than Potter in his optimal conditions, but if we do manage to get Ashworth in (which personally, I see as unlikely) then at least there's a proven working relationship there.

People who work well together tend to get better results than those who don't.
I dont comment on Potter but why this constant love for ETH? And all this rubbish about 'optimal conditions', its called real life. Top managers deal with it. What has he shown in 18 months, last 9 months the football is woeful and some of the worst defeats in our history. His signings are woeful and the squad worst its been for decades. Do you watch a different team?

pascell

If he's the next manager I can see two things happening, which I hope I'm wrong about. The first being Sancho coming back into the fold following his loan and the second being Greenwood being reintegrated as he's our only natural finisher and we've struggled to score goals this season.

We will likely bail Chelsea out and buy Cucurella.

BigRon1985

No thanks - we've already got a manager with zero personality and charisma!

I can't see him taking the job even if he was offered it - he's got too much to lose reputationally when the inevitable happens and it goes pear-shaped....

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Some football fans these days are so knee jerk it's actually hilarious.
Happy to discount Potters potential based on a dud period at Chelsea under a clown owner where much was stacked against him.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe that's because Pocchetino is also crap.

Seriously though, look at Potter's managerial record and tell me why he is even being considered for the Man Utd job (besides the fact that he is English and somewhat young). His win rate with Brighton was 31%, and at Chelsea it was 39%. If that's who we are going for, we might as well stick with ETH, in my opinion.
Probably because they had signed 18 (eighteen, not a typo) new players and he didn't have a pre-season with them (and then the winter world cup).

He is a much better manager than what he showed at Chelsea.

Wilt

Being linked to the likes of Potter or Southgate just goes to show how far this club has sunk.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Would Sir Alex Ferguson want a team to manage to get his mind off things?

Mike Smalling

Probably because they had signed 18 (eighteen, not a typo) new players and he didn't have a pre-season with them (and then the winter world cup).

He is a much better manager than what he showed at Chelsea.
There are plenty of good reasons for Potter's failure with Chelsea, no doubt about that. It doesn't really change whether we should pursue him, in my opinion. He was decent with Brighton, and a failed under difficult circumstances at Chelsea. Does that CV justify hiring him as United manager? I would say no.