Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

The Irish Connection

There's just so many of you, everywhere.

If the Chelsea fanbase is 30% annoying fans but Man United have 1% annoying fans, there's still a load more annoying Man United fans.

More glory = more glory hunters. It's the price you pay!
Yeah, fair enough. I would have thought the most annoying thing about us was the arrogance when we were winning. Whereas with Liverpool fans it’s the melodrama and delusional stuff.

TheLord

It would be incredibly funny if Potter loses three or four PL matches on the trot, and for Chelsea PR bots unable to justify the error that was Tuchel's sacking!

Stadjer

Why is there a question mark in the title? He is a Chelsea manager so ofcourse he is going to be sacked eventually

TheLord

I thought they were unlucky yesterday, they were the better team by far.
Chelsea were much the better side in most of the matches they've drawn or even lost under Tuchel. Their major problem has been lack of goal-making creativity in midfield and abject failure of their forwards to score goals.

That won't be rectified anytime soon.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Chelsea were much the better side in most of the matches they've drawn or even lost under Tuchel. Their major problem has been lack of goal-making creativity in midfield and abject failure of their forwards to score goals.

Yeah agreed on that. Also feels very familiar!

Suits Potter perfectly, Brighton were the xG kings after all. Perhaps he will push Chelsea to the dizzying heights of 9th like he did at Brighton.

ShinjiNinja26

They can't all start like a house on fire like Ten Hag did.

Sometimes it takes more than a few days training.
Train all you like, it won’t make one bit of difference with your man Boehly pulling the strings. Potters just a puppet, had to get rid of Tuchel because he wasn’t a yes man that would toe the company line.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
How did my man Auba play last night?
Trash but he’s played two games, each one under a different manager so I won’t judge him too harshly. Broja has shown 10x more in the limited minutes he’s been given than Auba has in two starts though. If it was up to me I’d start Broja from now on and let Auba feel his way back into some good form from the subs bench and the occasional start when Broja needs a rest. If he still has it in him to go again at this level that is.

The Purley King

I think he’ll do well there.
The biggest concern would be “superstars” in the dressing room that look at him and think “what the feck do you know about managing a CL side”.
We used to have plenty of those and we still have at least one.
If (and it’s a big if) he gets time he’ll improve them no doubt in my mind. He doesn’t have the “I was once a great player” card to fall back on. Just has to get a bit of a run going and players will buy into it.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I think he’ll do well there.
The biggest concern would be “superstars” in the dressing room that look at him and think “what the feck do you know about managing a CL side”.
We used to have plenty of those and we still have at least one.
If (and it’s a big if) he gets time he’ll improve them no doubt in my mind. He doesn’t have the “I was once a great player” card to fall back on. Just has to get a bit of a run going and players will buy into it.
Legit question: do Chelsea have superstars? Reece is our best player and he’s about as far from behaving like a “Superstar” as you can get.

This same question was asked of Jorgihno, and he seemed confused. He said “which players are you talking about?”

The reporter said “well, superstar level players, like you”

Jorgihno actually let an out loud laugh escape for a second like they were joking then said “I’m … I am NOT a Superstar” he found the very idea funny.

Maybe it’s a bad thing we dont have a superstar level player. The last one I can think of here was Hazard. After that our best players were people like Kante and James, some of the hardest working and humble “stars” you could ever want.

Maybe Potters bigger challenge is cultivating a few people to have that “Superstar” mentality. I think top teams do need a few of those bigger than life, indomitable spirits.

The Purley King

Legit question: do Chelsea have superstars? Reece is our best player and he’s about as far from behaving like a “Superstar” as you can get.

This same question was asked of Jorgihno, and he seemed confused. He said “which players are you talking about?”

Jorgihno actually let an out loud laugh escape for a second like they were joking then said “I’m … I am NOT a Superstar” he found the very idea funny.

Maybe it’s a bad thing we dont have a superstar level player. The last one I can think of here was Hazard. After that our best players were people like Kante and James, some of the hardest working and humble “stars” you could ever want.

Maybe Potters bigger challenge is cultivating a few people to have that “Superstar” mentality. I think top teams do need a few of those bigger than life, indomitable spirits.
I didn’t write my post quite correctly, I was meaning to say that Chelsea don’t seem to have that profile of player, whereas Utd certainly do.
So it should be easier for potter to exert some influence.
You guys certainly don’t have a ronaldo or a pogba and I wish we’d got rid of both this summer.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea

If anyone in our current squad is going to have any attitude issues towards the manager I'm willing to bet it will be the likes of Aubameyang, Pulisic and Ziyech.

Pulisic seems to have a bit of that entitled 'superstar attitude' despite never really showing anything on the pitch to justify it, probably down to his high reputation in the USA and all the hype he received as a youngster. Ziyech has fallen out with both Tuchel and his NT manager in the recent past and often seems a moody git when he plays. Arteta had big authority problems with Aubameyang but it remains to be seen how Potter will handle him. I had no worries about that aspect of the signing when it looked like Tuchel will be the one to manage him because they had a good history together but no idea what he thinks about Potter.

That said, none of those players are 'superstar quality' so the club don't really have to try to make things work with them if they start digging the ground from under the manager's feet and they can just be shown the door instead.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
It's comparing two snapshots of how Chelsea were set up versus teams with similar playstyles. It's a perfectly valid exercise as long as people don't go bananas drawing implications that aren't warranted.
It has zero validity if the inference from the poster is that one structure, with a different set of players and conditions, is an improvement on the other.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It has zero validity if the inference from the poster is that one structure, with a different set of players and conditions, is an improvement on the other.
It's perfectly valid to say that our structure was better against Salzburg than it was against Southampton. Obviously you are right to point out the variables in terms of opposition quality, game state, available players, rest differences, etc, but despite all that this doesn't mean it is incorrect to say one structure is better than the other.

What is not valid is to say that this makes Potter a better manager, we've made huge improvements already, Tuchel was downing tools, Viva Boehly forever, yadda yadda. No one should be drawing any conclusions after one game. Stating that "the structure is better here than in this other game against a similar opponent" is both correct and interesting, but of course not definitive in the slightest.

Cantonagotmehere

Easy mistake, the guy playing up front for them looks a little like Nkunku, but he plays for Leipzig, not Salzburg.

No, he had one half hearted header from the edge of the box off a decent cross. But Kepa caught it easy. Other than that it looked like were playing a lower tier team. We just couldn’t finish more. We had a ton of good chances, just a touch careless on a lot of them. One was called offside when it clearly wasn’t, but their goalie made the save anyway. He made 3 1 v1 saves. Which is either remarkable for him, or a point of criticism to us.

We played well though.
got it, thanks

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
It's perfectly valid to say that our structure was better against Salzburg than it was against Southampton. Obviously you are right to point out the variables in terms of opposition quality, game state, available players, rest differences, etc, but despite all that this doesn't mean it is incorrect to say one structure is better than the other.
Those are two very different statements. The first one is of course fair - someone's opinion that the structure against one team (on a particular day) was better than the structure against another, based on the graphic/data. Saying the overall structure under Tuchel was inferior, which is the poster's point, is a ridiculous assertion based on that same data. This really shouldn't be that difficult to grasp so I'll have to bid you adieu on this discussion.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Those are two very different statements. The first one is of course fair - someone's opinion that the structure against one team (on a particular day) was better than the structure against another, based on the graphic/data. Saying the overall structure under Tuchel was inferior, which is the poster's point, is a ridiculous assertion based on that same data. This really shouldn't be that difficult to grasp so I'll have to bid you adieu on this discussion.
I think you're reading too much into it but fair enough.

R'hllor

For some time now, specially after Ole appointment this place loves to shit over all other managers, damn miss those our manager shits on hipsters type of threads.

TsuWave

Potter getting introduced to new drip. Soon will see him at LA Lounge

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Glad to see he's doing well, liked him as a Brighton coach and it's good to see someone from a lesser club get a deserved promotion to a bigger club and do well.

J2J

Got his tactics wrong to start with yesterday but quickly adjusted. I do rate him, and I'm sure there will be that one game where everything just "clicks" like ETH vs Spurs. They're away to Brighton next followed by Arsenal(h), City(EFL Cup) and Newcastle(a) before we break for the World Cup.

IrishRedDevil

35 minutes getting dominated at Home isn’t a quick adjustment. He’s lucky United didn’t score in that period (we don’t have a striker).

Cool he done it 10 minutes before half time, but after the first 5-10 minutes it was obvious how the game was going.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
He brought Kovacic on after 15minutes against Brentford earlier on in the week. He probably didn't want to make the same change in back to back games so quickly and hoped the team could adjust themselves.

BerryBerryShrew

He is a good coach and if he is allowed to bring in the players he wants then he'll do well there. Thankfully "The Todd" is probably going to foist Ronaldo on him in January and he'll get the sack shortly after.

GlasgowCeltic

I like him but he’s a bit Southgatey when you listen to him, might just be the beard and general lack of charisma though

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Not been overly impressed with there performances. Got massively out played by us and only had 6 shots at home which would of got brought up a lot more if they didn’t end up coming away with a point. Suppose it will take him time to get his methods across to the players, his Brighton team came to Old Trafford at the beginning of the season and gave us a better game then his Chelsea team.

Lecland07

Not been overly impressed with there performances. Got massively out played by us and only had 6 shots at home which would of got brought up a lot more if they didn’t end up coming away with a point. Suppose it will take him time to get his methods across to the players, his Brighton team came to Old Trafford at the beginning of the season and gave us a better game then his Chelsea team.
I think people underestimate how bad Chelsea were under Tuchel since mid-December 2021 - they were only 6th in the form table. Very much akin to Solskjaer getting second with us, their top four position last season was heavily dependant on us, Tottenham and Arsenal being being poor - with Manutd being beyond just poor.

This season, they were leaking goals and scoring very few. Potter has improved them massively on both fronts - it is far from perfect, but Chelsea have a lot of issues stemming from poor recruitment, particularly this past summer.

Just to show the improvement:

- Goals conceded per game - 1.42 (Tuchel) ; 0.37 (Potter)

- Goals scored per game - 0.8 (Tuchel) ; 1.75 (Potter)

It wasn't even like Tuchel had a tougher run - he only had to play Tottenham from the teams currently in the top half of the table (a few of the teams he faced have struggled badly this season - Leicester and Leeds etc.). Potter has faced two top half sides (Brentford and Manutd) and he has had to play AC Milan twice; Tuchel faced the easiest team in their CL group.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
Potter really comes across as a likeable person - it's almost sad he is at Chelsea :)