Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

kaku06

Vulgarian
The reports came out that they will no longer be progressing with those talks. He’s linked to Chelsea if the sack Poch same as if we sack ETH.
But it seems like he isn’t a target for us at all. Tuchel or Southgate it is then.

macheda14

But it seems like he isn’t a target for us at all. Tuchel or Southgate it is then.
The club likely don’t have any idea who we want yet as the decision makers in that matter are barely through the door if at all. Wilcox and Berrada will be the two to make that decision if Ashworth can’t be brought in sooner. I wouldn’t give credence to many reports in our movements as of yet.

CM

Maybe not clubs the size of United and Bayern, but according to people like Ornstein EtH is still quite highly thought of amongst European clubs. United are seen as a complete mess, so this season won't count against him outside of England as much as people seem to think/hope.
Crazy line of thinking really given we are being outperformed by numerous teams who aren't as good.

croadyman

Well he can’t just decide to stay can he? The club have got rid of him, not surprisingly considering his just not a top league manager.
I still feel he could be a good fit for INEOS,however agree with others I can see Erik staying due to lack of options and people not in place

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He has rejected the Ajax job, I wonder if he has a better offer

Probably just was impressed by how much chaos there is at the moment. Sitting on the couch at home is a better offer than joining that shitshow.

Baxquux

Weird, unless he really does anticipate an offer from United/England. Ajax isn't dead-cert for trophies it might have seemed a couple of years ago, but still an excellent chance to recover some of his 'sheen' - jury is out over how culpable he was for the Chelsea thing, considering the chaos there. A couple of seasons and, say, at least one league and one cup, and he'd be in for Tottenham job if Ange moves on by then or similar (one of the bigger German jobs etc).

Wilt

Read somewhere Ajax were not offering him enough wages. He was on £12m per year at Chelsea, 5year contract.

Reckon Ajax wouldn’t pay half that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Read somewhere Ajax were not offering him enough wages. He was on £12m per year at Chelsea, 5year contract.

Presumably he’s still getting paid that and that will come to an end when he accepts a job?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Funny how greed gets the better of some people. As if what he was being offered isn’t enough anyway. There millionaires. Any normal person would jump at 3x less.

didz

Presumably he’s still getting paid that and that will come to an end when he accepts a job?
Don’t honestly know, but that may be the case.
His contract was still worth around £50m at the time of his dismissal. They came to an agreement where Chelsea wouldn't put all of that, but instead a 'significant sum.' So we don't know how much, but it's a lot and he may well have gotten it all upfront.

Wilt

Funny how greed gets the better of some people. As if what he was being offered isn’t enough anyway. There millionaires. Any normal person would jump at 3x less.
Yep, football is all about greed nowadays.

frostbite

One million per month for 5 years. He doesn't have to ever work again.

Total 60 million. If you put 60 million on US stock market, and you take out 4% per year, this means 2.4 per year, or 200k per month. Forever.

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Bloody hope not ….don’t want Southgate hovering around Old Trafford
Yeah, Southgate, the guy who got Middlesbrough relegated, and kept them relegated. What can go wrong?

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Greedy? More likely he's so well off he can sit back and take his time finding the job that he feels is 100% right for him. Career wise he can't afford to get this one wrong after the Chelsea spell.

OldSchoolManc

It’s still Potter rather than Southgate x 100. If Ineos go for Southgate (god help us) and it was instead of Potter, then I truly give up

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
One million per month for 5 years. He doesn't have to ever work again.

Total 60 million. If you put 60 million on US stock market, and you take out 4% per year, this means 2.4 per year, or 200k per month. Forever.
He didn't receive anywhere near the full £60M when he got the sack ffs. :lol:

InfiniteBoredom

I would be surprised if they can pay him a quarter of that.

Lower end PL managers are on 3-4m a year at best, and the poorest team probably have similar budget to Ajax (their revenue is in the ~€200m range, PL TV money alone is £91.7m guaranteed).

There’s also the fact that they aren’t in the CL and their board and club have been in turmoil the last couple of years. Not a lot of upsides going there now, I wouldn’t chalk it all down to the bag.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Focus is rightly on Potter but as someone who grew up on Scottish football I still chuckle at ex-Clyde and Hamilton manager Billy Reid being his assistant, especially at Chelsea. Maybe he's the real key to Potter's success. :D

AB_89

I don't really blame Potter for not fancying Ajax. Yes they are a big name but they have fallen from grace quite spectacularly in recent years.

They are looking for their 5th manager since Ten Hag left, they have been through the Overmars scandal and then his replacement Mislintat was a disaster, Van der Sar stepped down as CEO, they have a fairly poor squad and are currently 5th with the prospect of no European football next season.

So they aren't exactly an attractive proposition at the moment and to be honest Potter will more than likely be offered a better job.