Graham Potter | Apparently in "serious" talks with Ajax

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Brighton struggled to score under him just as United do under ETH. Let’s just give up scoring goals again

crossy1686

career ending
Like being halfway through cooking a roast, seeing all your neighbours have already sat down with their dinner, and you’re pissed that yours still has another hour to go. So you chuck it all in the bin, moan about how their butcher obviously gave them better quality stuff, and start again with another chicken from somewhere else. Just leave the one you’ve already got in the fecking oven!
Mate, we never turned the oven on and it's riddled with salmonella.

cyberman

Well 'these cnuting players' have won trophies and appeared in finals, and did so as recently as 6 months ago. We need improvements for sure, but the manager has failed miserably and should absolutely be getting more out of them. We you realise that, you also realise he has to go because he's taking the piss at this point.

With the new structure incoming, the manager won't get as much freedom as Ten Hag got to make the mistakes he made and to have the excuses made for him that currently are. So the next manager will coach and be judged on the way we play and if we win games. If he doesn't do those things well he'll be fired, and that's how it should be.
Because it’s 12 months on, 12 months off for them unless you’re saying these successful players can only store guidance from managers for 12 months at a time?
It’s the same players you’re judging these different managers by, it’s an insane point to make.
It’s basically how well can they coach these West Ham level players to pretend Man United standards until it comes crashing down as it always does

Robbie Boy

This is part of the problem with Ten Hag's reign. Everyone has had a collective bout of amnesia for most of our loses so you only remember the good games.
I seriously doubt they do :lol: :lol:

There's a pathetic loss every few days this season.

crossy1686

career ending
Because it’s 12 months on, 12 months off for them unless you’re saying these successful players can only store guidance from managers for 12 months at a time?
It’s the same players you’re judging these different managers by, it’s an insane point to make.
It’s basically how well can they coach these West Ham level players to pretend Man United standards until it comes crashing down as it always does
Then appoint a manager that knows the league in terms of intensity, scheduling, athleticism and level of competition. You keep appointing blokes from lesser leagues and act surprised when they hardly adapt and try implementing tactics that revolve around having more time on the ball when you don't get that in the PL.

I said that we need better players, but these players are capable of more, so bring someone else in to try and do that and see what happens. You can't just say that everyone has to go because this manager has failed, that's insane. Sack him first and see what rises to the top.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's budgeted for, and that fee is agreed in advance when signing the contract.
Why would a manager not being hired as an interim, accept to be lowballed on the payoff amount? Potter isn't exactly skint, the payoff from Chelsea has him sorted for a while.

Everything is budgeted for, but resources are finite. Your strategy of "hire a manager until the end of the season and then hire another one" is more expensive than "just wait until the end of the season and then hire another manager". With marginal benefit: we are out of Europe, and we aren't overtaking 3/4 title contenders to win the league.

Robbie Boy

I understand people want ETH gone. But wanting Potter? Fml.

The exact people who are saying they want him will detest him within 18 months. We need to sit tight, wait until we have a CEO in situ and go from there. We need an actual plan.

By the end of Ole's tenure I said he has to go and we need anyone to come in. I've learned from that. Ralf was a total waste of time and someone like Potter would be a total waste of time.

Doracle

This is part of the problem with Ten Hag's reign. Everyone has had a collective bout of amnesia for most of our loses so you only remember the good games.
Sadly, my memory of United matches doesn’t end last February. I don’t recall an actual “good” performance since.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Like being halfway through cooking a roast, seeing all your neighbours have already sat down with their dinner, and you’re pissed that yours still has another hour to go. So you chuck it all in the bin, moan about how their butcher obviously gave them better quality stuff, and start again with another chicken from somewhere else. Just leave the one you’ve already got in the fecking oven!
I dont think I've ever seen an analogy miss the mark quite as much as this one :lol:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

The exact people who are saying they want him will detest him within 18 months. We need to sit tight, wait until we have a CEO in situ and go from there. We need an actual plan.

By the end of Ole's tenure I said he has to go and we need anyone to come in. I've learned from that. Ralf was a total waste of time and someone like Potter would be a total waste of time.
18 months? Is anyone actually saying they want him permanently?

cyberman

Then appoint a manager that knows the league in terms of intensity, scheduling, athleticism and level of competition. You keep appointing blokes from lesser leagues and act surprised when they hardly adapt and try implementing tactics that revolve around having more time on the ball when you don't get that in the PL.

I said that we need better players, but these players are capable of more, so bring someone else in to try and do that and see what happens. You can't just say that everyone has to go because this manager has failed, that's insane. Sack him first and see what rises to the top.
3 of our previous managers had worked in our league before hiring them.
It’s the same argument about these cnuting players winning trophies under these managers that you made, these same manager won trophies and finished 2nd etc in the league before the downing of tools so it’s nowhere near the leagues fault.
As a fanbase and a club we have no idea how to address any problems we encounter. Fire everybody bar the underperforming players on the pitch

Robbie Boy

18 months? Is anyone actually saying they want him permanently?
Do you think he'll take a 6-month contact?

And then what: He gets a good bounce and by next March we're handing him a 3 year deal? I've seen that movie before. Not that I think he would take a 6-month gig anyway.

adexkola

Supports
Do you think he'll take a 6-month contact?

And then what: He gets a good bounce and by next March we're handing him a 3 year deal? I've seen that movie before. Not that I think he would take a 6-month gig anyway.
Yeah I am struggling to see the upside for Potter with a 6 month contract. Why the feck would he walk into another quagmire, without guarantees of getting paid?

That's a contract you give McKenna, since he's probably not getting it elsewhere (even then his agent would push for more).

Any rated manager who we hire is going to demand and get a reasonable length contract with a sizeable sacking payoff.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Potter is a lot like ten Hag in that his early successes were at low level clubs of little expectation, and then his best work came at a club with fantastic infrastructure. He has since failed at Chelsea where the recruitment, direction of the club, decision makers etc. are all haphazard and in a massive mess. He wasn't a big enough character to make up those shortcomings. Obviously he'd be treated to more of the same here.

Logic would therefore suggest he would fail before he even gets going.

Lee565

Potter is too meek, you saw it at Chelsea that he did not have the personality to handle the requirements of a big club, you need a manager with a personality like lvg, mourinho, big ange, conte, ancelotti, pep, simeone, klopp etc.. or atleast be a club legend like ole was

Syphon Wallet

Absolute madness to appoint Potter after what happened at Chelsea.
I think we should take a risk with Nagelsmann, you can see a long term upside with him.
I struggle to see any realistic alternatives that could come in and make a real change.

tomaldinho1

Potter is too meek, you saw it at Chelsea that he did not have the personality to handle the requirements of a big club, you need a manager with a personality like lvg, mourinho, big ange, conte, ancelotti, pep, simeone, klopp etc.. or atleast be a club legend like ole was
:lol: One of these is not like the others. Might as well just whack in Dyche or Big Sam.

adexkola

Supports
Potter is a lot like ten Hag in that his early successes were at low level clubs of little expectation, and then his best work came at a club with fantastic infrastructure. He has since failed at Chelsea where the recruitment, direction of the club, decision makers etc. are all haphazard and in a massive mess. He wasn't a big enough character to make up those shortcomings. Obviously he'd be treated to more of the same here.

Logic would therefore suggest he would fail before he even gets going.
Correct.

As a follow on, logic would also suggest that given our resources, we focus on building this fantastic infrastructure instead of expecting every coach to be a superhero that would excel despite our current FUBAR setup. Under such a setup, coaches and managers become more disposable and @Skills is finally happy

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

You're talking as though Ratcliffe and his guys aren't behind this potential move. What difference does it make if they decide on Potter (or whoever) now or when they are officially involved with the club? I'd certainly hope they are planning already.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Get a new manager, players raise their game to get into his good books. Stop giving a feck after surviving another summer. Get the manager sacked. Rinse repeat.

This virus like attitude is spreading from squad to squad since Fergie retired. We need someone who can establish any sort of authority on these turds. So a manager who has won something big to warrant respect. Who that is I don't know but Potter certainly wont survive here.

El Presidente

This is what has me confused. There were decent games, but we never really played well consistently if at all.
Win, lose or draw, we are very consistent in how bad we perform. It's just that there are different variations where sometimes we are meh, sometimes we are disastrous.
But then again, Lisandro wasn't available for most of those and apparantly our whole football identity crumbles with the absence of one player.

Robbie Boy

You're talking as though Ratcliffe and his guys aren't behind this potential move. What difference does it make if they decide on Potter (or whoever) now or when they are officially involved with the club? I'd certainly hope they are planning already.
Because I'm guessing these reports are utter bullshit? I'm just shocked anyone wants Graham Potter. He's utterly gormless and flopped hard at Chelsea. It matters to me quite a-lot if this was seriously the direction we decided to take.

pocco

loco
One thing I talk about a lot with Ten Hag is his personality and how I don't think it is suitable to the squad we have. He's too authoritarian and direct - I think younger players need a bit more than that. This is where Potter would have an advantage and may actually get more from what we have. They need building up in confidence and belief. Fergie was amazing at this, he'd pull young players from all over the world and he'd build them up. Could you ever imagine a young Cristiano Ronaldo saying that ETH is a father figure? Our player lack belief and play like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders.

For a brief time under Ole the reigns were off and they were enjoying football - and performances and results reflected this. His downfall was that he couldn't improve players or the team to carry that belief into performing well and winning matches in the long run. I do think Potter has far better tactical acumen than Ole, so I wouldn't dismiss him. He'd bring a lot of the good things and some of the things that Ole didn't have. He wouldn't rely on quick counters, he'd be more flexible tactically and we'd maybe see a 5atb with wing backs at times, he'd put a bigger emphasis on possession football. This is why I'm willing to give him a chance if he is chosen to come in. If you read about his rise through football also, what he has done is very impressive. The Chelsea job was a poisoned chalice and still is - their squad is still unbalanced now and was very unbalanced when he took over.

pocco

loco
Because I'm guessing these reports are utter bullshit? I'm just shocked anyone wants Graham Potter. He's utterly gormless and flopped hard at Chelsea. It matters to me quite a-lot if this was seriously the direction we decided to take.
Even if it is not Potter, the next manager will be decided by Ratcliffe and his DoF. Even if they aren't officially in position. So I wouldn't stress about the technicalities as I expect they have spent the last year planning all of this for the event that they do buy into the club,

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
No, we need to stop thinking that every manager we bring in is Fergie and is required to carry the entire football club for the next 25 years.

People are crying out for this DOF model, they're even making excuses for the current manager because apparently he should never have been trusted to spend money. What people don't realise is that with a DOF model a manager is highly expendable. He comes in, he coaches, if the team don't improve, he's fired. No noise around the board, the training ground, the stadium roof, his signings etc. Just coaching and how the squad are playing.

So when INEOS come in and they hire Potter, it will be a good move until it isn't any more. Then you fire him and hire someone else.

This is normal at every single big club in the whole world.
No one expects another Fergie. Wanting to keep Ten Hag isn’t because we think he’s the next Fergie. Stop being draft.

People are crying out for structure at the top. Basically the football club to be ran by football people to give the manager the best possible chance to succeed. I believe that Ten Hag was and is still capable of that.

Also, If Potters CV is that he isn’t Ten Hag then what’s the bloody point? I mean Jesus wept.

Robbie Boy

Even if it is not Potter, the next manager will be decided by Ratcliffe and his DoF. Even if they aren't officially in position. So I wouldn't stress about the technicalities as I expect they have spent the last year planning all of this for the event that they do buy into the club,
Well, the point is, I don't believe it's Potter nor do I think they have any idea yet who will take the reigns. I imagine ETH will get some time.

SteveCoppellFan

I do not want ETH to get the sack just yet, but he need to start showing something soon because we have been utter dross for most weeks since February.

That is a lot of games and we are seeing one thing and ETH is stating otherwise, its not a good sign tbh.

I actually thought Potter was turning things around at Chelsea before he got the sack, they did start playing better but was not getting the results they deserved.

His personality does seem a little weak and how long would it be before these same players start downing tools again ?