Heaven Draft: SF - Skizzo vs Pat Mustard

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
SKIZZO:

PAT MUSTARD:

SKIZZO:

Formation: 4-2-3-1

The name of the game is movement and overloading areas of the pitch. Moore slots into the defence as the cover, and would be at home with Kohler next to him, and Gentile tucking in to provide cover against any wingers looking to cut in. Zidane comes into the AM position and would look to dictate play in the final third with Figo and Beckenbauer in support for creativity, and Mbappe and Romario looking to get in behind and create havoc with their pace and movement. Dunga looks to "sit in" the defensive midfield spot allowing a stable base when Beckenbauer pushes up and down with the overload. With goals, creativity, and physicality in abundance, we'd look to be a tough team to break down defensively, and then use the movement throughout the attack to open spaces.

Goal Threat: Romario, Mbappe // Secondary: Zidane
Playmakers: Zidane, Figo, Beckenbauer // Secondary: Mbappe

We'd look to make things difficult defensively with a lot of hard-working, defensively solid players throughout the team, all of which would put in an effort. Offensively, I feel the movement we have, and an abundance of creativity from back to front, we'd have too many avenues to shut out.

PAT:

Tactics: Zona Mista-esque team shape, but with a high defensive line, hard pressing and a possession-based slant in midfield.

A late rush of blood to the head, and consequently a change of tactics. I'd occasionally wondered whether the basic team shape of the Zona Mista could be used for a much more proactive and aggressive tactical approach than that deployed in Italian football in the 70s and 80s. I think I may have found my answer when I was making an all-touches video of one of the great Robben performances, in Bayern's 7-1 demolition of Roma during their Pep era:

https://sendvid.com/zcuafelt

Robben's role immediately reminded me of that of Bruno Conti - some strange combination of inverted winger with wing-back duties - transplanted into a far, far more attacking philosophy:

Robben was clearly the biggest incentive to play with this tactic, but there are other pieces that seem to fall into place advantageously. Firstly, Bergomi stepping into Benatia's role as RCB-cum-RB seems a natural use of his experience and skill set. Secondly, the pace throughout our backline offers a comfort with a high line, with new arrival Krol's illustrious background in such systems reinforcing the point. Thirdly, the presence of Xavi who, as much as anyone ever, lends himself to the high-possession tactic that was principally enforced by Alonso and Lahm. Lastly, the mobility and positional versatility of the attackers will allow them to replicate the dynamism and movement offered by Muller and Gotze. Crucially, they'll all work hard off-the-ball too to enable an effective press.

This clearly isn't a seamless remake, as Pep's team shape had similarities to but wasn't remotely identical to the classical Zona Mista, and there are changes in emphasis.

• Whereas Lahm was a narrow-ish second to Xabi in terms of total touches in the Roma match, Xavi will clearly be the main passing hub here, with Stielike in the supporting role in possession. Xavi will be comfortable guarding the defensive half-spaces as Lahm was, but won't be making offensive overlaps on the right wing with the frequency of Lahm. Rather, it will fall on Rummenigge to drop out there frequently. More on Rummenigge later
  • The combative, dynamic Stielike will offer more classical protection in the deepest midfield position than Xabi could offer - handy against an opposition which will be sporting Zidane in attacking midfield.
  • Di Stefano will, to put it mildly, be a much more dominant and influential figure than Gotze, although I found it interesting that spielverlagerung.de's analysis of Gotze's role seemed to fit Di Sefano quite well: "Mario Götze and Thomas Müller played up front behind Robert Lewandowski, with Götze having a free role here. Again and again he oriented himself to the center of midfield, then played as a (left-oriented) ten... This style of play used many of Bayern players' skills in an interesting way. For example, Götze was able to support the central midfield when pressing, also helped in possession of the ball in tight spaces and made sure that the Romans couldn’t really find any assignment. Sometimes he dodged to the left, sometimes he was half-left lower and sometimes he acted in the space between the lines."
  • Crucially, Stoichkov shares Muller's brilliance at off-the-ball movement (used in different ways of course) but it is a more natural wide presence, freeing up space in the centre for The Don. Similarly, and as discussed above, we want Rummenigge peeling wide at times to interact with Robben, again freeing up meaty zones of influence for Di Stefano.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Two very different ideas for a ZM-shaped team, interesting matchup. We're at the stage of all-time drafts where I often find it impossible to vote against a team. But I love Pat's unusual setup and the key roles for Robben/Bergomi and Krol/Stoichkov. Plus, a Robben compilation lights up my day immediately, one of my favourite players.

Still a draw, both teams could win this.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Giving this to Skizzo. The midfield and defense is a thing of beauty. Is Zidane considered a better fit to Beckenbauer than Platini?

No obvious flaws in Pat's team either. Just that I'm a bit ambivalent at the clash of playing styles for the players individually.

Anyway, Two awful teams. Both deserve to lose. ;)

Himannv

I like how Beckenbauer us not shoehorned into a DM role here and has more freedom to influence the attack than he usually does. I was intrigued to see how that might work, but then I realized he's most likely up against Di Stefano and might have more defensive work than I anticipated.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I just prefer the multifaceted movements in Pat's. Although Robben is more likely to go inside, instead of going to byline. But him and Rummenigge can probably work on that.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
dont really like either team, skizzo has to many players that he needs to carry in the defensive phase while im not buying the Di Stefano Xavi pairing, specially in midfield and thats even without Stielike in the picture who liked the ball as well.

Skizzo

Giving this to Skizzo. The midfield and defense is a thing of beauty. Is Zidane considered a better fit to Beckenbauer than Platini?

No obvious flaws in Pat's team either. Just that I'm a bit ambivalent at the clash of playing styles for the players individually.

Anyway, Two awful teams. Both deserve to lose. ;)
I would have preferred Platini, but had to play Zidane so just made the easy swap

We successfully pulled a one page Moby :drool:. Hard luck mate. I genuinely had no idea how the scoreline would turn out here.
:lol: real conversationalists in here. Congrats mate :)