Henin denies doping allegations

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Henin-Hardenne denies doping insinuation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reuters

BRUSSELS -- Justine Henin-Hardenne vigorously denied insinuations that she was doped when she beat Belgian rival Kim Clijsters at the U.S. Open last week.

Henin-Hardenne told reporters upon her arrival at Brussels airport from the United States that the only secret of her success was hard work.

The U.S. Open winner recieved IV fluids twice in two days.
"I have never been tempted by doping," she told reporters for the daily Le Soir Wednesday. "My only doping is work. I am ready to undergo whatever test, wherever, whenever to prove that my body is clean.

"I do not take any product, whatever they might be, apart from the water and other energy drinks prepared by the WTA," she added. Henin-Hardenne has now won two Grand Slams, both at the expense of world No. 1 Clijsters in the final.

Upon her return to Belgium, she was received by fans as well as reporters anxious to get her reaction to comments made by Clijsters' father Leo about her apparent weight and muscle gain.

Leo and other pundits were quoted in the local media as saying her physical transformation was unusual. None of them mentioned doping. The growing tensions between the two players -- who have publicly declared themselves friends -- and their entourages also highlight the linguistic and cultural divide in this small European country of 10 million people.

Henin-Hardenne is from the francophone south, while Clijsters is from the Dutch-speaking north.

Henin-Hardenne's coach, Carlos Rodriguez, was quoted in the local press as accusing Leo Clijsters of spreading rumors out of jealousy.

"In Belgium, what we are trying to do is to start a fight between these two girls," he said.

"I swear on the heads of my two sons that she has never taken doping products," he said. "In Belgium, we want absolutely to create a fight between the two girls.

"Justine is better than Kim and will win more often than her," he said. "In six months, Justine has become a different player, a lot stronger. I know that she works very hard but she is not the only one. All players, including Kim, work on their muscular force."

Henin-Hardenne had returned to the court after spending hours in an infirmary bed with an intravenous drip in her arm. She had been suffering from exhaustion, cramps and dehydration following a three-set semifinal win over Jennifer Capriati.

Elfie

Frankly it is ridiculous. If one female tennis player is not doped, it's her. He said that her arm is as big than Serena's arm now. He must need glasses.

Justine works harder than any other tennis player to compete physically with the others, and now those allegations...

Sad because Justine and Kim seemed to get on well very well, it was good for Belgium. :(

Sporty

Apologies have been made, no-one actually accused her of taking doping but the Belgian press made a big deal of it to get a few more viewers or sell a few more papers

Old news :yawn:

Elfie

Sporty said:
Apologies have been made, no-one actually accused her of taking doping but the Belgian press made a big deal of it to get a few more viewers or sell a few more papers

Old news :yawn:
Phew !