How good was Bryan Robson?

Bobski

Keane recovered well from a cruciate ligament injury tbf. Not half as many injuries as Robson overall but to be commended how he came back. That 98-02 period, when he shaved his head particularly around 2000, he was an absolute monster of a player. And a lot of that was due to his training and preparation, which was better than Robson, who played in a more liberal, drinking era.
I do think the knee injury took a fair bit of pace from Keane, he was proper rapid before that, still quick enough when he returned but never got back that top gear. Didn't stop him from a being a world class midfielder and probably being a better player after the injury but I do wonder if it slightly diminished his potential peak. Impossible to know really.

Hughie77

Quality.. all over the pitch. Robbo is in my all time utd 11.. with Keane and Bobby Charlton as a 3 in Midfield...

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I think he was in terms of skillset even better than Keane, higher level of quality and range in his game, but Keane was probably more consistent due to not constantly having to come back from injuries.
I did some analysis around injuries some time ago...Keane and Robson missed almost the same number of games due to injury.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Keane and Robson were both perfect players for their respective eras.

Robson was our hero when we needed one and took a fairly ordinary team to a higher level.

Keane was the man who allowed us to progress onto the next level after the first title win.

Bobski

I did some analysis around injuries some time ago...Keane and Robson missed almost the same number of games due to injury.
Surprising as other than the knee injury I don't recall Keane having any major issues until late on when the hip problems started to be a thing.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Surprising as other than the knee injury I don't recall Keane having any major issues until late on when the hip problems started to be a thing.
1993/94 - 54 games played out of a total of 63
1994/95 - 37/59*
1995/96 - 39/49
1996/97 - 33/54*
1997/98 - 11/52*
1998/99 - 55/63
1999/00 - 45/59
2000/01 - 44/57
2001/02 - 43/58
2002/03 - 32/63*
2003/04 - 38/55*
2004/05 - 43/61
2005/06 - 7/56

There were some games when he was rested or not used from the bench but as you can see there were at least five seasons where he missed big chunks of the season. His injury record follows a very similar trend to that of Bryan Robson. When comparing the two players, it's common to see Robson's injury record being discussed but not Keane's. Maybe we had a stronger squad with Keane and missed him less. O

greater wall

I saw him in the later years when he wasn't a box to box runner and was surprised how good he was at sitting back and controlling the midfield.

decorativeed

He was coming to the end of his time at United when I got into football, so it's fair to say I never saw him at his best, but I've been lucky enough to meet him a few times through work, and he's a great guy. He helped me put some boxes in the boot of my car and later introduced me to Denis Irwin, so can't speak more highly of him!

galwayfa

The iconic Number 7 shirt, only two have deserved it after Best, Ronaldo and Robson, and maybe Robson, above Ronaldo which is mad, actually not sure

.Phil1968

Robbo is the best player I have seen in a United shirt, he was incredible and gave everything in every game. I can still see him coming off the pitch after a game absolutely knackered, whether we'd won or lost he had left everything on the pitch.
He could have gone to any of the European elite in the 80s but stayed with us and carried an often poor team through the decade.

Loon

:lol:
My favourite all-time United player. Privileged to see him in the flesh during his pomp. Simply untouchable.

gantherbale

He was coming to the end of his time at United when I got into football, so it's fair to say I never saw him at his best, but I've been lucky enough to meet him 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 a few times through work, and he's a great guy. He helped me put some boxes in the boot of my car and later introduced me to Denis Irwin, so can't speak more highly of him!
that's some sweet interaction ! nice guy