Ibrahima Konate

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Both CBs look to have world class potential and are still only 20 with Upamecano being around 6 months older. Konate is listed as being 1.93m in height whilst his French counterpart Upamecano is listed at 1.85m. Both also form part of the RB Leipzig back line which had the best defensive record in the German Bundesliga last season.

Konate is the more dominant CB as far as winning aerial duels go. He won 72% of all aerial duels in Bundesliga last season which was up there with the best in the league. Which is particularly impressive considering he's still only 20. Upamecano meanwhile has the better passing stats currently but Konate is fast improving in that regard. Below is a detailed analysis/breakdown of both players stats and attributes from a Bayern Munich opinion.

I personally prefer Konate and feel he has the potential to develop into a VVD type of CB in the future. For a 20 year old CB to have such amazing athleticism/pace and aerial dominance at 20 is quite incredible in a major European League. He's also brilliant at bringing the ball out from defence which is explained in the below article and his passing game is improving all the time. If we (United) were to go back into the market for a CB, then Ibrahima Konate would be my choice to partner Maguire.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...konate-and-upamencano-and-how-they-would-help

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Leipzig have done incredibly to have both these kids there. Tuanzebe is a good looking CB prospect but man, these two make him look like an average British talent. This is what real scouting does. It finds talents like this.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Leipzig have done incredibly to have both these kids there. Tuanzebe is a good looking CB prospect but man, these two make him look like an average British talent. This is what real scouting does. It finds talents like this.
We almost signed Upacameno so our scouts can't be blamed on that one.

Konate was signed by Leipzig when he was 17 from Sochaux in France and the French club has a very impressive record of producing some very highly rated youngsters in recent years. The following is just some of the talent they've produced.

Notable graduates from Sochaux’s impressive academy:

- Ryad Boudebouz
- Jeando Fuchs
- Jérôme Onguéné
- Cédric Bakambu
- Lucien Agoume
- Ibrahima Konaté
- Jérôme Roussillon
- Marcus Thuram

Bwuk

Majority of Cafe will be experts on these players of course.

cj_sparky

We scouted Upamecano, we agreed a deal before he went to RB Salzburg. According to his agent we laid out a plan of a flat and regular parental visits. Then changed it to him living with a host family and only providing 6 return trips for his parents.

His agent/representatives felt it wasn't right for him and pulled out.

Alabaster Codify7

To both guys above, WOW. I stand corrected, I honestly didn't know we were that close to signing Upamecano. Quite sad to read, that! Thanks.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Majority of Cafe will be experts on these players of course.
I don't think anyone is a expert on them tbh. But from my own perspective, I did watch alot of thier ganes last season and the first two games this season and the potential is very high. Many Bundesliga observers rate them very highly too.

izec

Upamecano should ring a bell to any United fan. Moved to Salzburg after the links to us and then Leipzig. Konate i havent seen much of. One of them is surely Bayern bound at some point :D

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To both guys above, WOW. I stand corrected, I honestly didn't know we were that close to signing Upamecano. Quite sad to read, that! Thanks.
We've signed Bjorn Hardley from NAC Breda who is 16. So let's hope he makes up for the dissapointment.:D

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Konate with another impressive performance and at 20 years old is developing into a monster CB.

Irrational.

Konate with another impressive performance and at 20 years old is developing into a monster CB.

It's pretty much guaranteed Pep will go crying to Khaldoon to sign this guy and will be their main Jan target. There aren't many more quality CB's around at present.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's pretty much guaranteed Pep will go crying to Khaldoon to sign this guy and will be their main Jan target. There aren't many more quality CB's around at present.
I'm hoping we might be tempted to sign him, because this guy has amazing potential and alongside Maguire would form potentially one of the best pairings in European football. He's accustomed to playing the high line and has recovery pace in abundance to go along with his all-around dominant skillset.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s not pretty much guaranteed at all tbh.

Fer

Do you rate Konate higher than Milenkovic?

JustABall

Konaté is developing quicker out of the two. Upamecano is a little overhyped. But is obviously still young.

France have about a million centre backs to choose from these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elite Intelligence

Supports
Arsenal
I'm hoping we might be tempted to sign him, because this guy has amazing potential and alongside Maguire would form potentially one of the best pairings in European football. He's accustomed to playing the high line and has recovery pace in abundance to go along with his all-around dominant skillset.
He's not going to be sold until next summer possibly and even then, RB Leipzig would want at least 100 million euros for him and I don't think Man Utd or City are willing to pay that type of money for 20 year old defender. Especially Man Utd already breaking defender record fee for Maguire.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Upamecano's was injured a lot last season, I believe only recently got back to fitness but needs games now. With Leipzig's strong start to the season he may not find it easy to break back into the first XI though!

IIRC they both have 100m Euro clauses in their contract, Upamecano's is reducing to 80m this summer as he is out of contract in 2021. As we found out this summer Leipzig are tough negotiators and happy to stick to their clauses.

Last edited:

BlackShark_80

Upamecano's was injured a lot last season, I believe only recently got back to fitness but needs games now. With Leipzig's strong start to the season he may not find it easy to break back into the first XI though!

IIRC they both have 100m Euro clauses in their contract, Upamecano's is reducing to 80m this summer as he is out of contract in 2021. As we found out this summer Leipzig are tough negotiators and happy to stick to their clauses.
Yes but if Upamecano doesn't renew, 100% Lepizig will sell him next summer.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Yes but if Upamecano doesn't renew, 100% Lepizig will sell him next summer.
Rumours on Arsenal twitter we will be going back with another offer in January for Upamecano, so lets hope he doesn't get back into the team by then :D

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Konate was visibly brilliant in the Bundesliga last season. Stats support that, but he is a dominating force.

Destined for an elite club - not us!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We've surely got to be interested in Upamecano if he doesn't renew.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Konate's aerial stats do look good (and he's 6'4). The modern CB's tend not to have such aerial dominance in unison with pace and ball playing abilities. Could be a deciding factor in what separates him from his contemporaries.

SouthPredators4

Would be a fantastic signing. If we can sell Smalling, Jones, Rojo and one of Lindelof/Tuanzebe/Bailly, we will have 4 CBs sorted out for the long term.

Classical Mechanic

What’s going on with this lad then? Only 14 starts in the past two seasons and now he’s sat on the bench for Liverpool while Matip gets the runaround from Lukaku.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
What’s going on with this lad then? Only 14 starts in the past two seasons and now he’s sat on the bench for Liverpool while Matip gets the runaround from Lukaku.
You seriously need to watch 90 minutes of Matip. Then you'll know why. You've had three live games to do this (Norwich, Burnley and Chelsea). If you don't wish to waste your time then fair enough, but you asked.

Tldr; Matip is shit hot. Fecking shit hot. He'll be injured soon and we'll be denied his brilliance again. But until then I don't want anyone from the PL except VvD replacing him. Luckily he can play next to VvD instead.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Matip is a top class centreback. While he's fit, it's going to be hard for him to get a game.

TheReligion

Abusive
You seriously need to watch 90 minutes of Matip. Then you'll know why. You've had three live games to do this (Norwich, Burnley and Chelsea). If you don't wish to waste your time then fair enough, but you asked.

Tldr; Matip is shit hot. Fecking shit hot. He'll be injured soon and we'll be denied his brilliance again. But until then I don't want anyone from the PL except VvD replacing him. Luckily he can play next to VvD instead.
Matip is a top class centreback. While he's fit, it's going to be hard for him to get a game.
Matip is good I agree but doesn't it seem strange then at this point (appreciate still a few days left of the window) it seems your marquee summer signing is a back up CB as opposed to addressing the replacement of Wijnaldum and a potential CF?