Injured Man United player awarded £4m

Drifter

American
Injured Man Utd player awarded £4m

A former Manchester United player whose career was ended when when he was injured in a tackle has been awarded more than £4.3m in compensation.

Ben Collett broke his leg in a reserve game against Middlesbrough five years ago, at the age of 18.

Boro player Gary Smith and his club admitted liability for the injury before compensation was decided at London's High Court.

The match was Collett's debut for United's reserve team.

Manchester United's manager Sir Alex Ferguson described him as an "outstanding" player.

Collett, who is now studying, joined United's Academy aged nine and was part of the club's FA Youth Cup-winning team in 2003.

Decotron

COLLETT AWARDED £4.3MILLION

By Cathy Gordon, PA

Footballer Ben Collett, described by Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson as an "outstanding" player, has been awarded more than £4.3million damages at the High Court in London over a tackle which ended his career.

But the compensation to be received by 23-year-old Collett will be even greater when sums for future loss of pension and interest on past loss of earnings are determined at a hearing set for October.

Mrs Justice Swift, sitting in London, announced that when all of the figures were decided, the final sum to be awarded was not likely to be less than £4.5million.

At a recent hearing in Manchester, Ferguson said Collett had an "outstanding

chance" of becoming a full-time professional if he had not been injured.

Collett, now 23, joined United's youth academy aged nine and signed youth contracts, becoming part of the club's FA Youth Cup-winning team in 2003.

But, aged 18 and in his first game in the reserves in May 2003, he had his right leg broken in two places in a tackle by Middlesbrough's Gary Smith.

Both Smith and the club admitted liability for the "negligent" tackle and the judge's task was to decide on the level of compensation that Collett should receive from Middlesbrough's insurers.

Mrs Justice Swift said she had found that had it not been for the injury Collett would have been offered, in July 2003, a three-year professional contract with Manchester United.

Collett, who was in court, was unable to forge a career in the professional game after the injury and is now studying.

Ferguson told Manchester High Court during the earlier hearing: "I thought the boy showed fantastic focus, a great attitude to work hard and they are qualities to give any player an outstanding chance in the game."

Ferguson said Manchester United had been built around young sides from the time of Sir Matt Busby in the 1950s.

The court had heard that Collett could have earned more than £13,000 a week, making a total in excess of £16million, if he had played until the age of 35.

United legend Paddy Crerand said the youngster was a Giggs type of player and could have gone on to become a household name.

Mrs Justice Swift awarded Collett £3,854,328 for future loss of earnings.

The sum for general damages for pain and suffering, loss of amenity and loss of congenial employment - which had been agreed between the parties - was £35,000.

Past loss of earnings was put at £456,095.

Leading agent Mel Stein gave evidence at the hearing. And while the £4.3million awarded in Collett's favour is a huge sum, Stein does not believe it will alter the principles of the game.

"It is things like this that insurance is for," he said. "I don't see anything ground-breaking in this. If I had been involved in a car crash and suffered brain damage and could not fulfil my career I would be entitled to claim, so I don't see why this case should be any different.

"By all accounts Ben Collett was already a very good player and had great potential. Sir Alex Ferguson said so and so did many others.

"If he had hung around in the game he would have earned significant sums of money but we are not always in charge of our own destinies."

Stein at least takes solace from the fact Collett appears to be a well-grounded individual who now intends to pursue a degree, although the cash itself will never compensate for what might have been.

"I have seen a lot of people have a career or half a career in football and not be able to cope when it comes to an end," Stein added. "Paul Gascoigne immediately springs to mind.

"But Ben is a very bright young man who's going to university and hopefully will have a very good career and life."

In a statement read out after the hearing, Collett's solicitor, Jan Levinson, said the former footballer and his family were happy the case had now virtually come to a close and that Ben could move on to the next chapter in his life.

He said Collett had a "highly promising" career which came to a "premature end" because of the injury sustained in the tackle.

The size of the award reflected his talent and potential as one of the brightest young footballers in the country, he added.

But he would have far preferred to have earned the money with a full career in football, Mr Levinson said.

Mrs Justice Swift said of Collett in her ruling: "I found him a most impressive young man.

"He was plainly intelligent and it is clear that he has brought - and will in the future bring - to his academic studies the same dedication and commitment that he formerly applied to football."

She said Collett intended to take up a place at Leeds University next month to study English.

As well as evidence from Sir Alex, Mrs Justice Swift heard from other high-profile witnesses, including United captain Gary Neville.

The judge said the evidence about Collett's ability and achievements, as well as his character and attitude, "was all one way".

She said: "During his 11 years at Manchester United, he had impressed players and staff at all levels, from Sir Alex Ferguson and Mr Gary Neville to the contemporaries who played alongside him."

Mrs Justice Swift said the accident happened on May 1, 2003 when Collett was playing for Manchester's reserves in a match against Middlesbrough's second string.

She said: "In the course of the game he was tackled by the first defendant (Gary Smith).

"The tackle was high and 'over the ball' and, as a consequence, the claimant suffered a fracture of the tibia and fibula of his right leg."

The evidence from those who knew Collett was that "at the time he sustained his injury, he was on course for a successful career in professional football".

The evidence of Ferguson was the "most significant", said the judge.

"He has a wealth of experience in the development of young players. He gave his evidence in a fair, measured and balanced way and I have no hesitation in accepting it."

Mrs Justice Swift found that Collett "must have had a good chance of spending at least part of his career - possibly the majority of his career - in the Premier League".

His "positive attitude towards his injury and to the devastating blow of being unable to pursue his chosen career does him great credit".

The judge said that the claim for pension loss and interest on past loss of earnings would be dealt with at a hearing in October if the parties were unable to agree the sum in the meantime following today's judgment.