Italia 90 - when football changed forever

Rooney24

Anyone watch this last night on Channel 4.?

was pretty good but first episode was more focussed on the hooliganism of the 80s/early 90s than Italia 90 itself.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Anyone watch this last night on Channel 4.?

was pretty good but first episode was more focussed on the hooliganism of the 80s/early 90s than Italia 90 itself.
I saw it yeah and it was decent. I was a bit alarmed at how Tony Evans endorsed a lot of hooliganism/trouble but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Rooney24

I saw it yeah and it was decent. I was a bit alarmed at how Tony Evans endorsed a lot of hooliganism/trouble but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
yeah. His comments were strange to say the least.

I’d never heard of him until I saw this show.

Gavinb33

His comments were laughable like Millwall and Chelsea fans werent voting for Thatcher and the right-wing parties and then fighting in protest against them at weekends :lol:

I think the hooliganism element is just setting the scene and we'd be foolish not to acknowledge that it played a part in English football and a part in how we were treated at Italia 90' like being made to play in Sardinia for the 1st 3 matches which i never knew until i watched it as i was 8 at the time of the tournament.

AlPistacho

The thing I remember most about Italia 90 is Pavarotti version of Nessun Dorma, such an epic theme song and set a very high standard, don’t know if the football lived up to it as I was very young. But I do remember and am constantly told whenever that song came on I’d stop whatever I was doing and just watch silently.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'll have to watch this - Italia 90 was when I really fell in love with football. I'd been following Spurs through the 80's but wasn't obsessive about it at all. Then I watched the 1990 world cup and it just clicked with me and I have been in love with the game ever since.

Rooney24

His comments were laughable like Millwall and Chelsea fans werent voting for Thatcher and the right-wing parties and then fighting in protest against them at weekends :lol:

I think the hooliganism element is just setting the scene and we'd be foolish not to acknowledge that it played a part in English football and a part in how we were treated at Italia 90' like being made to play in Sardinia for the 1st 3 matches which i never knew until i watched it as i was 8 at the time of the tournament.
what he said about Heysel was the worst - no one would have died if the stadium had have been in good nick.

according to him.

Gums

I'll have to watch this - Italia 90 was when I really fell in love with football. I'd been following Spurs through the 80's but wasn't obsessive about it at all. Then I watched the 1990 world cup and it just clicked with me and I have been in love with the game ever since.
Yes, 90 had a massive impact on my football life, too, although different from yours. I was 13 in 86; we had just immigrated from England to Germany. My memory tells me that among the European teams, England, Germany, Spain, Italy, and France were all roughly the same quality. So, in 1990 I was full of hope and optimism.But that year changed everything for me.

I still feel like the outcome of our penalty shootout with Germany impacted the next two decades of both nations, catapulting Germany into success and sucking any good fortune out of England. I remember wearing my England kit and flag to school and dealing with the banter quite well until we lost. My parents’ phone rang for hours, with kids from school, sadly including good mates, just wanting to rub it in (for younger Cafsters: a phone used to be connected to a wire, and everybody at home shared the same one).

Looking back, I’d say 1990 was the peak of International football for me. It has never felt the same since, and I don’t care much for International football anymore. At club level anyone can support a team, no matter your nationality, your skin colour, sexual preferences, religion, intellectual capacity, etc. As opposed to the increasingly disturbing nationalism based upon locational birth luck.