Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Think he’ll spend another year with Villa and end up a United player in ‘21. I think United are going to struggle to move on all of our players who occupy that attacking midfield role (Mata, Lingard, Andreas) this season given the circumstances.
Yeah you could well be right just hope he doesn't push for a move this summer and go somewhere like City or Arsenal

Slysi17

Those three would be great depending who the CB is.

I don’t agree we could sort two positions with the Grealish money - that will only get players comparable to the squad players we have already once you add the fabled Utd tax.
If Manchester United's scouts were decent, they could find good players for decent money instead of going for expensive British players. I mean Liverpool signed good players for decent money except for Van Dikj and Alisson. Salah didn't cost that much and he is one of the best wingers in the premier league.

DevilRed

If Manchester United's scouts were decent, they could find good players for decent money instead of going for expensive British players. I mean Liverpool signed good players for decent money except for Van Dikj and Alisson. Salah didn't cost that much and he is one of the best wingers in the premier league.
Those days might be gone for them. Now that they have more money in the bank from overachieving. They really hit the jackpot with their signings over the last 2-3 years.

Craig Ward

I've been vocal in the past about Grealish - i do think we need a top quality player like him to come in and add depth around the squad.

The less minutes for Lingard/Mata/Periera the better really.

One thing we are certainly missing is quality squad depth.

James/Greenwood/Chong still developing. Periera could be useful as a backup in one position, he gets his position changed regularly which doesnt help him.

Grealish would make a massive difference to our squad as he can be used as LW, RW and AM. He's a hardworking, creative player. We'd be better with him.

That being said, in this window where Sancho is the priority and us looking to sell between 3 and 6 squad players and Villa staying up - the timing might not be right.

We can afford it, so the fan in me says "just go and do it" but we have to be realistic. Grealish may be more of a luxury bonus signing this summer. If it happens, great, if not and we manage to sign Sancho and a DM or CB then great.

I think we have to have other targets, Grealish will be expensive and high profile. There are a lot of creative talents out there who can be got for less: Benrahma, Eze, Szoboszlai, Harit, Nkunku.

We wont be signing Grealish for 80Mil thats for sure.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I've been vocal in the past about Grealish - i do think we need a top quality player like him to come in and add depth around the squad.

The less minutes for Lingard/Mata/Periera the better really.

One thing we are certainly missing is quality squad depth.

James/Greenwood/Chong still developing. Periera could be useful as a backup in one position, he gets his position changed regularly which doesnt help him.

Grealish would make a massive difference to our squad as he can be used as LW, RW and AM. He's a hardworking, creative player. We'd be better with him.

That being said, in this window where Sancho is the priority and us looking to sell between 3 and 6 squad players and Villa staying up - the timing might not be right.

We can afford it, so the fan in me says "just go and do it" but we have to be realistic. Grealish may be more of a luxury bonus signing this summer. If it happens, great, if not and we manage to sign Sancho and a DM or CB then great.

I think we have to have other targets, Grealish will be expensive and high profile. There are a lot of creative talents out there who can be got for less: Benrahma, Eze, Szoboszlai, Harit, Nkunku.

We wont be signing Grealish for 80Mil thats for sure.
Villa would take 40-50M plus add-ons or the second instalment next year I think.

It wouldn't be a flat 80M fee, it would be more like 40M + 20M (instalment) + 10M add-ons (winning the Premier League).

I also think Sancho, Grealish and a CB can be done this summer (a potential CB if Smalling doesn't leave).

Sancho wont be 100M, he will be around 80-90M + instalments & add-ons.

croadyman

Villa would take 40-50M plus add-ons or the second instalment next year I think.

It wouldn't be a flat 80M fee, it would be more like 40M + 20M (instalment) + 10M add-ons (winning the Premier League).

I also think Sancho, Grealish and a CB can be done this summer (a potential CB if Smalling doesn't leave).

Would Villa really be open to that sort of deal because my gut feeling is that they will want a lot more than £40m upfront for him

Most fees are spread over a period of time - there’s no utility in breaking it down into an upfront fee and instalments, and the way you have presented it almost implies that instalments aren’t debts.

Add-ons are based on performance or other factors, and may or may not be paid and so should speeches out from the fee. Whether the fee is paid up front or instalments is irrelevant when talking about a transfer fee. Clearly it affect cash flow, but that’s an aside.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Would Villa really be open to that sort of deal because my gut feeling is that they will want a lot more than £40m upfront for him
I know people mention Villa have rich owners but the reality is they still need to strengthen and comply with FFP.

The issue with Villa and Grealish is its a lot easier for a team to man-mark a player, you mark Grealish and it nullifies an entire team, Villa would be better to spend the Grealish money on 2 players that give a different sort of threat.

I think honestly United could structure a deal such as sending players on Loan, or offering 40M + Lingard + a loanee like Pereira and Tuanzebe that can strengthen their squad in a few areas.

Sending a player like Tuanzebe is good for selfish reasons too, John Terry is the assistant coach at Villa and Tuanzebe could learn a few things from him over the loan-spell, he could also face opposition on a weekly basis as Villa really are a team that needs to defend against big clubs, it would be good experience for a player like him to go on loan there (if Terry doesn't take over Bournemouth).

Lingard can be a game changer when he's on form, it's just he's below the level expected at United.

I think with Grealish who is arguably their best player in the last 15 years, he's home-grown. Villa would do a lot better to invest in their youth academy to bring through players and increase revenue by selling players that way in my eyes.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Most fees are spread over a period of time - there’s no utility in breaking it down into an upfront fee and instalments, and the way you have presented it almost implies that instalments aren’t debts.

Add-ons are based on performance or other factors, and may or may not be paid and so should speeches out from the fee. Whether the fee is paid up front or instalments is irrelevant when talking about a transfer fee. Clearly it affect cash flow, but that’s an aside.
Yes but the upfront free ensures they can get a target as a replacement, but instalments means United have financial freedom to sign Sancho and Grealish in the same window, performance based add-ons are an aside as you said.

I just don't see why there can't be Grealish and Sancho with a few outs.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes but the upfront free ensures they can get a target as a replacement, but instalments means United have financial freedom to sign Sancho and Grealish in the same window, performance based add-ons are an aside as you said.

I just don't see why there can't be Grealish and Sancho with a few outs.
Because the "Outs" are quite hard to do when they're all on souped up wages at our end.

croadyman

Because the "Outs" are quite hard to do when they're all on souped up wages at our end.
Yeah the high wages paid is always going to be the sticking point for any outgoings this summer.

Would be great to think we could get both Sancho & Grealish on instalment based deals but just don't think it's going to happen.

E-mal

I think what will happen is Villa will take
Guaranteed £50m + 10m in performances and appearance and another 10m in club achievements such as may be 5m for EPL and 1m for every season of UCL qualification.

They sweeten it with Tuanzebe loan without wages.

croadyman

Guaranteed £50m + 10m in performances and appearance and another 10m in club achievements such as may be 5m for EPL and 1m for every season of UCL qualification.

You still confident he will actually push for this deal and not get talked into staying then

romufc

I don't understand how people think we will spend another £50m in upfront fees. We can barely afford £70m upfront for Sancho.

E-mal

I don't understand how people think we will spend another £50m in upfront fees. We can barely afford £70m upfront for Sancho.
Am not saying we pay 50m up front, it's 50m guaranteed + 20m in add ons.
Sancho is €120m guaranteed with 70m up front.
There's a difference between guaranteed fee and up front fee, am sure you know that.
Most transfer deals do not require you pay the guaranteed fee up front, it can be structured.

redshaw

Would like more good quality players at United but I don't see it happening or that's he;'s been one step away from joining like he has some yearning to come here. Now that Villa are staying up and got the PL money again and Grealish is the main man it would seem even less so. He'll probably move to be a first time starter at a new club. We're not the Bayern of the English league.

romufc

Am not saying we pay 50m up front, it's 50m guaranteed + 20m in add ons.
Sancho is €120m guaranteed with 70m up front.
There's a difference between guaranteed fee and up front fee, am sure you know that.
Most transfer deals do not require you pay the guaranteed fee up front, it can be structured.
Yes, I know the difference between guaranteed fee and up front fee.

Villa will want guaranteed fee of £50m upfront so they can re-invest, especially if they are asking for £80m

We are cautious paying £70m upfront for Sancho, which is why we need to sell before we can buy players.

I think alot of fans are underestimating the effects of covid. You cannot compare to City who are state backed clubs.

E-mal

Yes, I know the difference between guaranteed fee and up front fee.

Villa will want guaranteed fee of £50m upfront so they can re-invest, especially if they are asking for £80m

We are cautious paying £70m upfront for Sancho, which is why we need to sell before we can buy players.

I think alot of fans are underestimating the effects of covid. You cannot compare to City who are state backed clubs.
But that wasn't what I said. If they want that, then it will be difficult to do the deal.
I was thinking more like Guaranteed split in 30+10+10. If they want more than that, then a deal will be difficult.

Whatever the case may be, I think we would have done well if we could bring Grealish and Sancho in and then keep Smalling until next summer when we look at other weak areas.

When one analyzes our season, we struggled massively with creativity in the first part of the season and we must ensure it doesn't repeat itself. Our defense though not the best is good enough to keep some clean sheets.

romufc

Whatever the case may be, I think we would have done well if we could bring Grealish and Sancho in and then keep Smalling until next summer when we look at other weak areas.
Agreed.

The aim should be Sancho plus another creative player, tbh if Grealish is too expensive, I would take Donny because we know he is £40m. Easier negotiations there.

If we can manage that, I would like to see Jones, Mata, Rojo, Perreira, Dalot all sold so that we save on wages and get some money in.

TheLord

The Grealish transfer won’t happen before the Sancho deal finalises. In my opinion, if United get Sancho, the board will not spend big on another expensive player. If the Sancho deal fails, the Grealish transfer is likely.
These two deals are mutually exclusive, irrespective of their playing positions, and one deal will likely happen.

The Grealish transfer won’t happen before the Sancho deal finalises. In my opinion, if United get Sancho, the board will not spend big on another expensive player. If the Sancho deal fails, the Grealish transfer is likely.
These two deals are mutually exclusive, irrespective of their playing positions, and one deal will likely happen.
I don’t believe they are mutually exclusive, but it does make sense to get the Sancho deal over the line first and appraise what finds we have left.

TheLord

I don’t believe they are mutually exclusive, but it does make sense to get the Sancho deal over the line first and appraise what finds we have left.
I know the transfer payment will be spaced out over a few seasons, but there’s no reason to believe that United will spend in excess of 150m in one window when there’s so much uncertainty because of the virus, and all major clubs, except the bankrolled ones, are struggling to make even a single major signing.

sugar_kane

Just realised he looks like Father Damo in Father Ted (edit: seems the internet already spotted this a while back, oh well)

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Reckon we'll have a joint announcement this week. Rest of the summer will be is trying to sign a new defender.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just realised he looks like Father Damo in Father Ted (edit: seems the internet already spotted this a while back, oh well)
:lol: il never forget that scene where they were playing video games and he wouldn't leave for dinner

sp_107

45M+Taunzbee, Deal will be done and we need his as a good backup.

considering the number of games we play, he will get many minutes than he can imagine

We don’t have too many people challenging front 5 and if one of them injured Grealish will become an automatic starter. I prefer him to start than either Mata or James or Jesse.

Last edited:

0le

45M+Taunzbee, Deal will be done and we need his as a good backup.

consudering the number of games we will have, he will play many minutes than he can imagine

We don’t have too many people challenging front 5 and if one of them injured Grealish will become an automatic starter. I prefer him to start than either Mata or James or Jesse.
Swap deals are quite rare. Why would Villa sell an attacking player and want an injury prone defender in return?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'd love for us to consider David Brooks alongside Grealish.

He could play RW, RAM aswell as RCM depending on how he develops. Likewise Grealish but at LW, LAM and LCM depending on his progress and our tactics. They could play on opposite sides and be very useful.

Its something I feel will cover so many spaces in our squad, things that players like James,Pereira ,Lingard and Mata cant do.

I'd maybe buy Brooks this summer due to him being relegated and then get Grealish in January to make it more realistic than us buying both alongside Sancho.

James for me is taking up squad space - playing LW whilst we have and could have 5 players playing there. He cant and wont ever be good enough as a RW especially with strikers like Martial who likes to dictate play with his one twos and runs/finishes by the wider forwards.

Leonzo1

This guy will elevate our squad to a whole new level. He can cover LW, AM and CM so he will get plenty of game time, will give us a chance to rest Bruno Pogba or Rashford without any major concerns that he will mess it up. In my eyes he should be our top priority after Sancho. If we get both the options we'll have will be very exciting.

BlahRules

Moving to a bottom of the table club like Villa is not something you’d want to do if having personal issues and depression.
We all have personal issues, it don't mean he should not move on.

Maybe I should do feck all for over two years and tell my employers of my personal issues so they're not allowed to sack me.

peridigm

We all have personal issues, it don't mean he should not move on.

Maybe I should do feck all for over two years and tell my employers of my personal issues so they're not allowed to sack me.
Relax pal. All I’m stating is Lingard would not want to make that move as Villa are shit and doing so could further deepen his personal issues.

Plenty of other clubs he could move to that would be less demoralizing for an ex United player. At the end of the day it’s up to him. He’s under contract and can choose to stay if he wants.

BlahRules

Relax pal. All I’m stating is Lingard would not want to make that move as Villa are shit and doing so could further deepen his personal issues.

Plenty of other clubs he could move to that would be less demoralizing for an ex United player. At the end of the day it’s up to him. He’s under contract and can choose to stay if he wants.
He has another a year contract left with 1 year option.

We either sell him for a decent price or his not going soon to allow him to get better wages.

End of the day, he is thinking of himself. If Ole and Woodward are not ruthless then we won't be competing for titles for a very long time.

I remember Hargreaves really wanted to sign and he was quality but injury prone. SAF sold him even though he helped us win the UCL.

croadyman

This guy will elevate our squad to a whole new level. He can cover LW, AM and CM so he will get plenty of game time, will give us a chance to rest Bruno Pogba or Rashford without any major concerns that he will mess it up. In my eyes he should be our top priority after Sancho. If we get both the options we'll have will be very exciting.
Yeah I would really like us to sign Jack as well however he will need to push for the move and even if that happens may have to get creative again with the structure of the deal.

Obviously he couldn't cover Pogba in a deep CM sense but certainly can help in regards to both the AM and LW positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.