Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

Not fully fit yet but got two goals already today. I hope we do get him, quality player and would improve us so much.

That said, I don't take the goal and assists numbers seriously, Dortmund have padded stats.

Feck me, the standard of defending is shocking from both sides. Soooooooo many gaps and free areas of space. Wtf were Paderborn doing for the 6th Dortmund goal? 1-5 down, 1 min left of added time and they decide to have all their players in the box for a corner?

Sancho's a talent and if he plays in this Utd team, he will be able to shine because he has quality on the ball in terms of short/meidium passing, link up play, decision making and ball carrying ability. I do agree with some of other posters, who believe he doesn't have elite speed or acceleration, which might be problem but I think the afore mentioned qualities offset that. With the talent of this current team, who are all big threats on the pitch on their own and as a collective, it will be rare that we need a Sancho kick and run moment to open a game i.e we have Rashford/Martial/James who offer that and more already. He'll be a playmaker, ball carrier and attacking threat with penetration and productivity on the right. Exactly what we need.

People, who are hoping/expecting him to be a saviour of this squad are looking at this wrong. He's an elite talent, who will fit will with the current elite talents we already have.

DSG

He looked much quicker today. Definitely more fit. Was not in particularly good form, but made the right runs. Last goal was well taken. A lot of players have a hard time finishing in that situation. Ice in his veins. Second goal was well taken as well. A half touch to he’s left and a quick shot.

We’ve all watched him for the last two seasons. It’s time. Ed, if you are listening, please go get him.

SAFMUTD

Great stats but seriously the bundesliga defensive quality seems a couple of brackets below the premier league, the amount of space the teams leave behind it seems every counter is a 3 vs 3 case.

just look at the 6th goal of dortmund, they go 3 vs 1 at the 90+ minute I mean why the feck would a team set up like that?

How many goals did Miki score for Dortmund in his last season? Buyer beware.

I’d be looking at Sancho’s performances against Bayern very closely.

Germany’s league is nowhere near as competitive as the PL.

Not saying he’s not a fantastic talent, but Paderborn are a very poor team.

In Rainbows

Great stats but seriously the bundesliga defensive quality seems a couple of brackets below the premier league, the amount of space the teams leave behind it seems every counter is a 3 vs 3 case.

just look at the 6th goal of dortmund, they go 3 vs 1 at the 90+ minute I mean why the feck would a team set up like that?
He just turned 20. Even if they are inflated, his age tells the story.

For comparison, Zaha when he won player of the year at age 19-20 in the Championship had 8 goals and 12 assists. Sancho at the same age in a superior league has 20 goals and 20 assists in 1000 less minutes of playing time.

In Rainbows

Reposting the updated stats (from an earlier post of mine), and it's based on how long they were at the age. For example, Sancho just turned 20, but majority of the season he was 19 so it's his age 19 season.

"

1. Kagawa
a. 17 goals 14 assists as a 22 year old ~~2 dribbles per game ~~3300 minutes
b. 12 goals 2 assists as a 21 year old ~~1.3 dribbles per game~~2100 minutes

2. Mkhitaryan
a. 23 goals 32 assists as a 26/27 year old ~~2.6 dribbles per game~~4300 minutes
b. 5 goals 7 assists as a 25/26 year old ~~2.6 dribbles per game~~3100 minutes
c. 13 goals 10 assists as a 24/25 year old ~~3 dribbles per game~~3700 minutes

3. Gotze
a. 7 goals 8 assists as a 19 year old ~~3.5 dribbles per game ~~1700 minutes
b. 8 goals 16 assists as an 18 year old ~~2.5 dribbles per game ~~3000 minutes

Sancho
a. 20 goals 20 assists in his age 19 year old season (mid season) ~~2.8 dribbles per game~~2950 minutes
b. 13 goals 19 assists as an 18 year old ~~3.3 dribbles per game ~~3000 minutes

Based on age, rate (per game), dribbling, and end product I would argue that Sancho is #1. And he's 19 years old. You wouldn't need him to replicate his stats over in England. If he produces at 3/4 of those stats when he's in his prime, that would be a huge success. You should look at his age and his performances in Germany as a development stage for him. This is not even close a comparison in leagues (so don't take offense German fans), but if you were to take a Championship player doing well as a 19 year old, and then buy him, sure he won't hit those same heights initially (hello Zaha), but he will grow in ability that he will eventually start to produce at that level in the tougher league. Not sure why Sancho isn't the same. That's if you want to make that argument. I wouldn't make that argument because I'm fond of the Bundesliga, but even if you were to look at the Bundesliga in that manner, there is no argument to be had around the idea that "Sancho won't produce at that level in the PL."

On the other hand, someone like Mkhitaryan was already 27 years old when he came to the PL. There was no more development left for him. Completely different from Sancho's situation. Plus, look at Mkhitaryan's other seasons in Germany. He looks more like a 1 season wonder when it comes to that kind of end product rather than someone who jumped to a new level in ability.
"

Bondi77

One of the many reasons why I was disappointed that the Euros were cancelled was that I could not see Sancho at an international competitive tournament.
There is no doubt that the kid is talented but there is also no doubt that apart from Lewandowski I cannot think of an attacking player that has left Dortmund and been dominant when they have stepped up to another team.
I am not saying he won’t but there seems to be this perception that there is no doubt he will....optimism is better than pessimism I guess.

Reposting the updated stats (from an earlier post of mine), and it's based on how long they were at the age. For example, Sancho just turned 20, but majority of the season he was 19 so it's his age 19 season.

"

1. Kagawa

2. Mkhitaryan
a. 23 goals 32 assists as a 26/27 year old ~~2.6 dribbles per game~~4300 minutes

3. Gotze

Sancho
a. 20 goals 20 assists in his age 19 year old season (mid season) ~~2.8 dribbles per game~~2950 minutes

Based on age, rate (per game), dribbling, and end product I would argue that Sancho is #1. And he's 19 years old. You wouldn't need him to replicate his stats over in England. If he produces at 3/4 of those stats when he's in his prime, that would be a huge success. You should look at his age and his performances in Germany as a development stage for him. This is not even close a comparison in leagues (so don't take offense German fans), but if you were to take a Championship player doing well as a 19 year old, and then buy him, sure he won't hit those same heights initially (hello Zaha), but he will grow in ability that he will eventually start to produce at that level in the tougher league. Not sure why Sancho isn't the same. That's if you want to make that argument. I wouldn't make that argument because I'm fond of the Bundesliga, but even if you were to look at the Bundesliga in that manner, there is no argument to be had around the idea that "Sancho won't produce at that level in the PL."

On the other hand, someone like Mkhitaryan was already 27 years old when he came to the PL. There was no more development left for him. Completely different from Sancho's situation. Plus, look at Mkhitaryan's other seasons in Germany. He looks more like a 1 season wonder when it comes to that kind of end product rather than someone who jumped to a new level in ability.
"
good post.

it wasn’t a direct to Miki per se, more of a point that players can look very good there, and then fail when they move to the PL - or at least never get close to the no’s. However, your point about viewing it as the Championship, and players need to be able to step up is very valid.

I agree than Miki was a one season wonder. When you look back at the last 7-8 years, he had one good season, and unfortunately we bought him after that and he went back to his natural level.

Have to be careful therefore, if we did buy him, not to set expectations so high.

given it’s a step up - do we think he’s a player who is worth £100m+?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He looked much quicker today. Definitely more fit. Was not in particularly good form, but made the right runs. Last goal was well taken. A lot of players have a hard time finishing in that situation. Ice in his veins. Second goal was well taken as well. A half touch to he’s left and a quick shot.

We’ve all watched him for the last two seasons. It’s time. Ed, if you are listening, please go get him.
I think it's just the opponents were shockingly bad

Brightonian

1. Kagawa
a. 17 goals 14 assists as a 22 year old ~~2 dribbles per game ~~3300 minutes~~106 minutes per goal contribution
b. 12 goals 2 assists as a 21 year old ~~1.3 dribbles per game~~2100 minutes~~150 m/gc

2. Mkhitaryan
a. 23 goals 32 assists as a 26/27 year old ~~2.6 dribbles per game~~4300 minutes~~78 m/gc
b. 5 goals 7 assists as a 25/26 year old ~~2.6 dribbles per game~~3100 minutes~~258 m/gc
c. 13 goals 10 assists as a 24/25 year old ~~3 dribbles per game~~3700 minutes~~161 m/gc

3. Gotze
a. 7 goals 8 assists as a 19 year old ~~3.5 dribbles per game ~~1700 minutes~~113 m/gc
b. 8 goals 16 assists as an 18 year old ~~2.5 dribbles per game ~~3000 minutes~~125 m/gc

Sancho
a. 20 goals 20 assists in his age 19 year old season (mid season) ~~2.8 dribbles per game~~2950 minutes~~74 m/gc
b. 13 goals 19 assists as an 18 year old ~~3.3 dribbles per game ~~3000 minutes~~94 m/gc

"
Excellent post. I've edited in minutes per goal or assist here based on your numbers just for reference. As you've suggested Sancho's current season, which amazingly is even more productive than Miki's 2015-16, seems more of an organic development of a young player and less of a one-year purple patch.

The key thing for fans to do is basically to understand that he will a) take a little while to settle into a somewhat higher level of competition and b) will eventually play just as well or better but probably won't post the same kind of numbers here in the Premier League.

Unfortunately even if as a forum we all agree with this now, the evidence is that fans just can't help themselves. Mourinho warned us to temper our expectations of Pogba:

Jose Mourinho (2016) said:
First of all, when you speak about the best players in the world, you go immediately to the ones that score a lot of goals. [...] Can Paul score the same number of goals as Ronaldo and Messi? Not even 25 percent, I believe. I believe in a season he cannot score 20 goals. So if to be the best player in the world means to score a lot of goals, that’s not the point. He is one of the best midfield players, maybe I could say the best midfield player in the world.
At the time, this forum was all in agreement with that. We accepted that unlike other players who go for mega-fees, who are mostly forwards, Pogba would live up to his fee in less obvious ways that would require us to watch the game and see his contribution. Allowing for a number of serious, disruptive injuries, the stats with and without him bear out this prediction. He has been our best midfielder by a country mile, and still looks to be one of the two best midfielders in the league, along with De Bruyne. We perform massively better with him than without him - his presence is transformative. People don't seem to have noticed, but the story of this season at Manchester United is essentially the story of this team without Pogba.

And yet his reputation has suffered so badly that plenty on here will tell you he's been bad, even awful, that we should sell him, that he's been a flop. Without an eye-catching goal/assist total, that negativity always takes a toll eventually.

So I worry about how we will receive Sancho.

Red00012

Sancho Is English , he just turned 20 and is nowhere near peak. Miki was at his peak and never settled.

laughtersassassin

With us extending Igalho and therefore not looking for a striker there is no zero excuses to not get Sancho unless he rejects us.

RW is our biggest hole. Sancho is the best one money can buy. We haven't had one for years. It really is a no brainer.

Plus this summer is huge in terms of trying to catch city and Liverpool and it is looking like they are singing another top player.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Go for it. I urge you to watch his other performances against Bayern in the Bundasliga together with his Champions League outings where he's clearly the biggest threat for top teams. There is a youtube analysis video from the Bundasliga which highlights examples against previous Bayern fixtures and against Barcelona where they set up to try and crowd him out with defenders. He's clearly a massive threat against such top sides and creates tons of opportunities for his teammates in the process of oppositions trying to adapt.

crossy1686

career ending
He will go to Chelsea. It’s Robben / Hazard all over again.
Despite the journo's that are close to Dortmund saying that Chelsea made an initial enquiry at the beginning of last season and haven't been in touch since? All the people in the know are saying United have been the most proactive club in trying to secure his signature. Woodward and Judge have apparently been speaking to them every couple of months for over a season.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

"

1. Kagawa

2. Mkhitaryan

3. Gotze

Sancho

"
And on top of it all, He's English. Has there even been a case of an English talent that did very well outside of PL but shite in the PL?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
At this point We should be thinking about when will He join United, not who will He join.
He sipped water on live stream when someone typed "sip water if your joining United" in the chat. It can't be a coincidence I'm telling you.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
One of the many reasons why I was disappointed that the Euros were cancelled was that I could not see Sancho at an international competitive tournament.
There is no doubt that the kid is talented but there is also no doubt that apart from Lewandowski I cannot think of an attacking player that has left Dortmund and been dominant when they have stepped up to another team.
I am not saying he won’t but there seems to be this perception that there is no doubt he will....optimism is better than pessimism I guess.
You’ve probably missed Aubameyang taking the piss since he came to England from Dortmund then.

Pulisic has also been brilliant once he settled too.

lysglimt

Scout
Those of you who frequent City-forums or have City-friends - how pissed are they that he was allowed to leave ?

Bondi77

You’ve probably missed Aubameyang taking the piss since he came to England from Dortmund then.

You got me on Aubameyang but you must be a closet Chelsea fan if you are saying that Pulisic has been brilliant since he has come to England....60mil and about two good games?
One hot day does not make a summer!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Brilliant? :lol: Huge reach.

The post you quoted is definitely incorrect and I don’t think you can doubt Sancho’s talent at all, but there has been some right duds from the Bundesliga recently.

Naby Keita was a prime box to box machine there and he can’t displace a midfield of runners at Liverpool. Sebastian Haller cost £45m and he has 7 goals in 27 matches this season. Joelinton cost £40m and he has 1 in 29. Luka Jovic - similar fee similar stats at Madrid etc.

I think that league is slowly regressing into a league filled with stupidly offensive tactics and a surplus of youth players. At the risk of offending their fans, it’s becoming a juiced up Eredivisie at this point.

crossy1686

career ending
Those of you who frequent City-forums or have City-friends - how pissed are they that he was allowed to leave ?
He was running his contract down and made it clear he wouldn't sign a new one due to lack of game time, they really didn't have a choice. They're lucky they've got a clause in there that allows them to match the accepted bid of another team. Apparently both parties aren't interested in reuniting, however.

romufc

Brilliant? :lol: Huge reach.

The post you quoted is definitely incorrect and I don’t think you can doubt Sancho’s talent at all, but there has been some right duds from the Bundesliga recently.

Naby Keita was a prime box to box machine there and he can’t displace a midfield of runners at Liverpool. Sebastian Haller cost £45m and he has 7 goals in 27 matches this season. Joelinton cost £40m and he has 1 in 29. Luka Jovic - similar fee similar stats at Madrid etc.

I think that league is slowly regressing into a league filled with stupidly offensive tactics and a surplus of youth players. At the risk of offending their fans, it’s becoming a juiced up Eredivisie at this point.
I watched a few highlights of Jadon Sancho's goals, there was one goal where he was running towards goal and the defender went sliding in, completely missed the ball the man and all he had to do is keep running in the same direction and score.

Go to 1:30.

The quality of Bundesliga is not as good as some people make it out to be.

cyberman

I watched a few highlights of Jadon Sancho's goals, there was one goal where he was running towards goal and the defender went sliding in, completely missed the ball the man and all he had to do is keep running in the same direction and score.

If you look at Neymar goal away v Dortmund the exact same scenario happened. Mbappe had the ball out wide and the defender literally slid past him. It was comical.
Sometimes it just happens.

TsuWave

My guy got a fresh fade, bagged an hatrick and repped for George Floyd. We move.

crossy1686

career ending
You can only beat what’s in front of you lads. It’s worth noting that the team Dortmund played yesterday cost a combined total of 300k and are sitting rock bottom of the league.

Most of us in here would kill for a Sancho hat trick away to Norwich so I’m not sure why we’re all of a sudden only judging him on a games vs Bayern spectrum all of a sudden.

who actually thinks the Bundesliga is a good league?

Bayern are about to win it for the 8th time in a row.

romufc

Most of us in here would kill for a Sancho hat trick away to Norwich so I’m not sure why we’re all of a sudden only judging him on a games vs Bayern spectrum all of a sudden.
When he was not even fully fit. He will get better, he looks dangerous on the ball.

TsuWave

So, defender attempts last ditch slide tackle because they're far from attacker, who has a clean shot on goal, gets sidestepped. Have you never seen that in the prem?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
So, defender attempts last ditch slide tackle because they're far from attacker, who has a clean shot on goal, gets sidestepped. Have you never seen that in the prem?
Yea, and I mean it's not as if German clubs have a record of 14-2 vs English opposition this season in the UCL. Granted, 11 of those 14 goals came against Spurs, who have been sh*t this season, but still the disrespect given to BL clubs is hilarious.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Never happens in PL

jamesjimmybyrondean

The defending is so piss poor. There's always loads of space

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So for all the naysayers, what do they say when he came on at half time against Barcelona @ camp Nou and completely changed the game, scoring in the process?

He hasn't just done it against "poor" German defence's.

romufc

Side stepped? Sancho hardly done anything there.. he kept moving in the same direction.

Yea, and I mean it's not as if German clubs have a record of 14-2 vs English opposition this season in the UCL. Granted, 11 of those 14 goals came against Spurs, who have been sh*t this season, but still the disrespect given to BL clubs is hilarious.
Just because one of the teams conceded 11 goals. You are comparing a club that was 3rd and 1st playing against one that was 10th in the PL.

There is no disrespect, Bayern are going to with their 8th title in a row? No real challenge when Bayern were struggling.

jamesjimmybyrondean

So for all the naysayers, what do they say when he came on at half time against Barcelona @ camp Nou and completely changed the game, scoring in the process?

He hasn't just done it against "poor" German defence's.
Who the hell is saying nay to Jason Sancho

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The defending is so piss poor. There's always loads of space
No doubt, teams are far better at setting up defensively in Premier League than the Bundesliga.

But it's also worth keeping in mind that good players force defences out of position and create that space. There are Bundesliga teams outside of Bayern and Dortmund that have more than stood up to top Premier League teams in European competitions over recent seasons.

This is not the same as assessing someone like Depay in the Dutch League, or even Ibrahimovic in the Ligue 1 (although this comparison isn't the best). I have zero concerns about judging Sancho highly based on the leage he's in.

Over the last two seasons, Sancho has directly contributed (goals, assist) in matches against Bayern, Barcelona, Inter, Leipzig, Leverkusen, Monchengladbach and Atletico (to name a few).

jamesjimmybyrondean

No doubt, teams are far better at setting up defensively in Premier League than the Bundesliga.

But it's also worth keeping in mind that good players force defences out of position and create that space. There are Bundesliga teams outside of Bayern and Dortmund that have more than stood up to top Premier League teams in European competitions over recent seasons.

This is not the same as assessing someone like Depay in the Dutch League, or even Ibrahimovic in the Ligue 1 (although this comparison isn't the best). I have zero concerns about judging Sancho highly based on the leage he's in.

Over the last two seasons, Sancho has directly contributed (goals, assist) in matches against Bayern, Barcelona, Inter, Leipzig, Leverkusen, Monchengladbach and Atletico (to name a few).
I'm not judging Sancho's ability at all. He would at well anywhere. Just that Bundesliga had shocking defending. That's what makes it exciting though

Rolaholic

For those downplaying his numbers because they're in Germany (you would've thought they would've learned their lesson after Bruno...) he's the youngest player ever to get to 30 league goals in Germany at 20 years old with the same amount of assists.

Those would be hugely impressive numbers for anyone in 2 and a half seasons let alone a 20 year old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.