James Maddison | Spurs

Stacks

He can't get a start because Southgate is perpetuating the long, successful english tradition of starting a player based on which (big) club he plays for and not on current form.

Southgate is a fraud, the easy WC run, gave him a credit he doesn't deserve and will be found out soon enough in the EC.
Possibly true.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I doubt he moves to a non-CL club and Leicester look poised to qualify this season with their game a week schedule. Maybe the following season.

Mainoldo

@Ekeke you watching Grealish tonight? Just want to know if you really believe there would be any difference in getting him over Maddison. He’s still more polished to me.

*Watch him have a crap game.

Ekeke

@Ekeke you watching Grealish tonight? Just want to know if you really believe there would be any difference in getting him over Maddison. He’s still more polished to me.

*Watch him have a crap game.
I'm not, might catch up on the match now you asked though. Will see what time permits in the next few days

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Really hope we look elsewhere instead of getting fleeced again. Never in a million years worth £80m+.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Been awful today, been missing in their biggest game this season at home.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Based on one game against the best side in the league this season? For sure.
That wasn't his point but even if it were I'm not sure your argument holds up, for 80m plus this is the type of game a player of that value should be showing a lot more than Maddison has tonight

IrishMcD

Honestly think he is a massively over-hyped home grown player, same as Maguire was and the money it would cost to buy him would be better spent elsewhere. And no, not basing it on this match alone. Just my opinion

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That wasn't his point but even if it were I'm not sure your argument holds up, for 80m plus this is the type of game a player of that value should be showing a lot more than Maddison has tonight
1. It's a weird coincidence that the post was made in the middle of the game then

2. Unrealistic expectation

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Honestly think he is a massively over-hyped home grown player, same as Maguire was and the money it would cost to buy him would be better spent elsewhere. And no, not basing it on this match alone. Just my opinion
Agreed. Much like Maguire; he’s a good player but the level he’ll improve us doesn't match the price he’ll cost.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The reason I don't want him as my first choice is because he isn't versatile enough to play fluid as a CM like someone like Grealish or Foden can.

Buying Foden & sticking him permanently in our first XI stops any rotation of our team and tactics whilst getting someone like Grealish can do the job of Maddison but can also drop back and fall in to midfield.

IrishMcD

Agreed. Much like Maguire; he’s a good player but the level he’ll improve us doesn't match the price he’ll cost.
I saw your name and desperately wanted to get into a fight with you hahaha All joking aside though, i really hope we don't sign him for the money being quoted and we start to invest much smarter becuase we have so many holes in the current squad!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He was not the only one.....
No, that's true, but he could hardly control the ball today. Think he may have just hated the tactics and had a stinker because of it. Thought it was so poor from Rodgers today.

charlenefan

1. It's a weird coincidence that the post was made in the middle of the game then

2. Unrealistic expectation
It's unrealistic to expect an 80m player to do something in a big game?

Ok then

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Jesus... or game played out of position.

Is he worth £80m+ no. But if you want to buy players who have done it in the prem league, you have to pay that: otherwise you pay £50/60 for someone who has only looked good in Portugal or Turkey.

charlenefan

Jesus... or game played out of position.

Is he worth £80m+ no. But if you want to buy players who have done it in the prem league, you have to pay that: otherwise you pay £50/60 for someone who has only looked good in Portugal or Turkey.
Actually you don't, the difference between Maddison and someone like Grealish is minimal and unlike Maddison Grealish would be most certainly be cheaper and has proved he can be just as effective from wide positions as he is centrally

If Maddison can only impact games in one position then good luck to him ever getting games consistently for England let alone a move to a bigger club than Leicester

There's also the question as to why Rodgers felt he couldn't trust Maddison centrally tonight...

Dante

Average bang
Actually you don't, the difference between Maddison and someone like Grealish is minimal and unlike Maddison Grealish would be most certainly be cheaper and has proved he can be just as effective from wide positions as he is centrally

If Maddison can only impact games in one position then good luck to him ever getting games consistently for England let alone a move to a bigger club than Leicester

There's also the question as to why Rodgers felt he couldn't trust Maddison centrally tonight...
Grealish will probably cost the same.

Dante

Average bang
Quite a lot of reports suggest he'd be available for between 45-60m
I wouldn't put too much stock into 'reports'.

In any case, Villa don't live in a bubble.

Whatever Leicester demand for Maddison, Villa will want the same for Grealish. They're a team that spend £25m on Tyrone Mings in the Summer, and are about to be a hell of a lot richer after a season in the PL.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I wouldn't put too much stock into 'reports'.

In any case, Villa don't live in a bubble.

Whatever Leicester demand for Maddison, Villa will want the same for Grealish. They're a team that spend £25m on Tyrone Mings in the Summer, and are about to be a hell of a lot richer after a season in the PL.
Grealish's price will depend massively on if they stay up or not

Ekeke

Danger.

Its actually both Maddison and Mahrez with 4 each in the league.

The difference is he does it from central midfield. 9 goals in all competitions this season

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
You need a quality manager to buy players like Madisson & Grealish. Clop & Pep and possibly Poch but i don't feel that Ole has the capability. He will need pre made players that can fit in with no work required.

Walters_19_MuFc

You need a quality manager to buy players like Madisson & Grealish. Clop & Pep and possibly Poch but i don't feel that Ole has the capability. He will need pre made players that can fit in with no work required.
Has he not improved Rashford and Martial? Can put in Fred, too.

crackers0seven

Need him or Jack..... But in all seriousness, why move to utd and ole.... They actually enjoy playing at moment

ShinjiNinja26

Would love to sign him but just seems unrealistic at the moment, Grealish seems a more viable option although sadly don’t think we’re really looking at him.

SAFMUTD

I think he'll be quoted around 70-80M, serious question can you imagine any other club paying that much for him?

Can you see Barcelona, Madrid, Juve, Bayern paying that fee for Maddison? I dont know why we keep with this obsession of pursuing english players when they are notably way more expensive and you can get a player of the same quality for around 50-60% of their price.

As a team in a rebuild we should be looking for value at the lowest cost, we should be aming for good players at reazonable fees taking advantage of other league teams that need to sell players not giving away money to teams in the premier league that dont need to sell so you clearly have to overpay in order to get a player.

How many windows will we take if we keep pursuing 80M players that are not worldclass? Seriously this romantic idea of an english core is nonsense and nonsustainable.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
I think he'll be quoted around 70-80M, serious question can you imagine any other club paying that much for him?

Can you see Barcelona, Madrid, Juve, Bayern paying that fee for Maddison? I dont know why we keep with this obsession of pursuing english players when they are notably way more expensive and you can get a player of the same quality for around 50-60% of their price.

As a team in a rebuild we should be looking for value at the lowest cost, we should be aming for good players at reazonable fees taking advantage of other league teams that need to sell players not giving away money to teams in the premier league that dont need to sell so you clearly have to overpay in order to get a player.

How many windows will we take if we keep pursuing 80M players that are not worldclass? Seriously this romantic idea of an english core is nonsense and nonsustainable.
No respectful club with high expectations and goals would pay 70- 80 mill for a player like Madison. But when it comes to Man Utd you'll never know. We did spend 80 mill for Magurie .

Dorris

its exactly why, the people calling the shots at the club think that simply being Manchester United is enough to all but guarantee success instead of doing what it takes with regards to scouting and signing players and appointing a manager that had a track record worthy of the job.

Ther managers press conferences early on were filled with "we're Manchester United" type statements, what you achieved in the past means feck all, they are things to be proud of nothing more, if given the choice between you and another so called big club you won't be the first choice anymore because you have no one running the club that actually has a strategy and when a player sis given the choice of which manager he wants to work with do you really think OGS will cut the mustard?

I would love to hear what Maguire thinks now, not that he'd ever be truly honest about it
The bottom line pleases me greatly

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Glad we didn’t pursue him. Bruno is twice the player and probably cost half the money thanks to no English player tax.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Glad we didn’t pursue him. Bruno is twice the player and probably cost half the money thanks to no English player tax.
I think he will stay at Leicester for few years, dont think any top team will be in for him. Not that he is bad player, he is obviously very good player but for the price they will ask and the positions that top teams have to address, it looks more likely that he will be Leicester player for long time.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think he will stay at Leicester for few years, dont think any top team will be in for him. Not that he is bad player, he is obviously very good player but for the price they will ask and the positions that top teams have to address, it looks more likely that he will be Leicester player for long time.
If leicester can hold most of that team together (particularly the midfield of Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison) and find a couple of younger players who will replace Vardys goal threat long term (probably having to see chillwell to finance I guess) but they could be up and around european contention for the next few years themselves