Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
The tweet is five years old, and doesn't even advocate homoeopathy. Desperate stuff.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
If he can't stand the inevitable press intrusion into every part of his life he should have done what Ummuna did and stand aside for someone with a thicker skin.

I did think all the attention might subside a little but the more that's revealed about him and what we can expect from his politics the papers will continue to have a field day at his expense....because of course they are only in it to sell newspapers.
It's not about whether or not he can stand it, it's about whether or not it's a bad thing for the country that this sort of stuff is being peddled by our news outlets which have so much influence.

Like I said, we don't deserve politicians with integrity if this is how we go about things so I hope no one complains after the next expenses style scandal about all politicians being twats or whatnot.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
You just know he's gonna be ousted as soon as photos of him wearing socks and sandals surface. You know he's the type.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
It's not about whether or not he can stand it, it's about whether or not it's a bad thing for the country that this sort of stuff is being peddled by our news outlets which have so much influence.

Like I said, we don't deserve politicians with integrity if this is how we go about things so I hope no one complains after the next expenses style scandal about all politicians being twats or whatnot.
Since when has any of that matter to the media. They're in it to make money and it's naive in the extreme to think they are not going to use material as rich as Corbyn is providing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They're not just in it to make money though - they're in it to influence people. And (traditionally) it could be argued that the influence is more important to major newspaper owners than the cash.

Shamwow

Since when has any of that matter to the media. They're in it to make money and it's naive in the extreme to think they are not going to use material as rich as Corbyn is providing.
Well as long as you're happy with it...

Shamwow

They're not just in it to make money though - they're in it to influence people. And (traditionally) it could be argued that the influence is more important to major newspaper owners than the cash.
Hence barely a mention of the Trade Union Bill and the fact a Tory MP compared aspects of it to something you'd expect to see under General Franco. Because what vest Jeremy Corbyn wears is far more important.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I never quite get these sorts of comments -- who the feck wants to be led?
Well he's the leader of one of the main political parties, with aspirations of being the leader of our country.

But he just gives me the vibe of a substitute teacher.

He doesn't inspire confidence, or motivation.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Well he's the leader of one of the main political parties, with aspirations of being the leader of our country.

Take a look at the content, forget the cover. People voting for personalities in politics really feck things up. You're voting for an entire party, not one person. I hope the UK doesn't slip into the realm of the US with any mediocre celebrity able to mount a serious campaign just because... well, "he seems alright, doesn't he?"

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Well as long as you're happy with it...
Not sure I'd say I am happy with it but I do understand how the media works.

True.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Take a look at the content, forget the cover. People voting for personalities in politics really feck things up. You're voting for an entire party, not one person. I hope the UK doesn't slip into the realm of the US with any mediocre celebrity able to mount a serious campaign just because... well, "he seems alright, doesn't he?"
Eh, it's not about personalities.
Angela Merkel seems to be as much fun as watching paint dry. But she comes across as a leader. She's strong, stern & you know she means business before she even says a word. Regardless of whether or not you agree with what she says.

Corbyn? I don't have issue with most of his policies, but he just doesn't carry himself like a leader, there just doesn't seem to be much conviction with him similar story with Ed for me too.
Maybe in time and the longer he's in the public eye that will change.

Kaos

What's so bad about this guy?
He's not your typical establishment drone at the mercy of the murdoch media and the political elite. He's also in danger of derailing the gravy train, so expect the attacks against him to get nastier and more aggressive between now and 2020 (assuming he's not forced out by the red tories before then).

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
FOCUS ON THE COLOUR OF CORBYN'S SOCKS+IGNORE THE CARTEL THAT'S BEEN RUNNING THIS COUNTRY SINCE 1066+END TRANSMISSION+

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
"What is leadership? Your answer should be around 500 words".

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Corbyn? I don't have issue with most of his policies, but he just doesn't carry himself like a leader, there just doesn't seem to be much conviction with him similar story with Ed for me too.
Such a non-complaint. He doesn't carry himself like a leader? That doesn't even mean anything.

Shamwow

Eh, it's not about personalities.
Angela Merkel seems to be as much fun as watching paint dry. But she comes across as a leader. She's strong, stern & you know she means business before she even says a word. Regardless of whether or not you agree with what she says.

So it's not about personalities it's about looks?

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
We are being led by our government, by banks, by the media, by Schools, by religion so and and so forth.
How exactly? I don't recall being led anywhere by any of those over the past week.

Getsme

Hav
Prove it. How exactly have I (me specifically) been led by those aforementioned agencies/institutions over the last week or so?
I'll tell you how I can prove it, go out and kill someone and see what happens or refuse to pay your mortgage/rent, take your kid out of School for no just reason, tell your boss to feck off and refuse to do any work, don't work and don't claim benefits. Go out and drive your car pissed up, high on drugs and ignore all street signs, feck it, while your at it run over a few pedestrians. Maybe you could refuse to pay council tax or income tax or for the NHS.
We are being led, what we do and how we survive in life is because a leader made a decision on how we should do it.

Have you taken a train, bus, taxi, drove a car, went for a walk, bought something, sold something, ate something, drank something, went to work, stayed at home (to name a few) in the last week?

Adebesi

I share Corbyn's concerns and those of his supporters. I just don't think his remedies will work. To put it in a sound bite, I don't think the solutions to 21st Century problems are likely to be found in 1970s political theories.

Yes we need something radical to tackle inequality and poverty, but that something should be new, something that harnesses modern powers of technology and innovation. Corbyn's solution is to go in the exact opposite direction, to shift swathes of the economy back to the government, easily the least innovative owners possible.

As for going after tax cheats / tax evaders, it has always been easy to move capital across borders, even back at the start of his political career, but it is easier now than ever. The only way this is going to work is with international cooperation. Yet Corbyn seems suspicious of the important international organisations we are part of.

SO yes. I understand the sentiment that gave rise to the success of Corbyn, as well as Syriza and even (on the other side of the political spectrum) Donald Trump in the US. People are fed up. Revolutions have always happened not when the lot of people is at its worst, but when things have been improving and then go into reverse. But just because the system has proved itself broken, doesn't mean hitting it with a hammer is the way to fix it. The problem is, the real solutions to these problems are probably rather technical and complex, and talking about them is unlikely to draw crowds of tens of thousands of angry people.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
We are being led, what we do and how we survive in life is because a leader made a decision on how we should do it.
You just list examples of various laws -- these weren't decided upon by any one person. It also doesn't constitute evidence of someone leading me.
It's more about presence. Couldn't care what he looks like
Shouldn't you care about policy? What the feck does presence get you?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's Labours's Farage.

A characature figure, extreme in his opinions, that will bring to light strong public opinion on certain subjects that will in turn have to be addressed by the Government at some point.

I mean it's Robin Hood stuff, taking from the corporations to spread wealth among the lower classes.

It'll never happen completely but if the subject becomes a hot topic it will have to be addressed.

The biggest issue with all this is probably Labour, traditionally the main opposition to a conservative government, essentially becoming a protest party.

Considering the power the SNP took away from Labour, it's probably the only way to stop the Conservatives going ahead with whatever they please, safe in the knowledge that there is no party with enough power to oust them.

Getsme

You just list examples of various laws -- these weren't decided upon by any one person. It also doesn't constitute evidence of someone leading me.

If your not being led then these laws should apply to you. Further, I didn't say it was by one person. You are being led, like it or not, it's a bit odd that you think otherwise.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Of course I care about policy, to say I don't based off my opinion on Corbyn is silly.
But equally, he is still the leader of the Labour Party. Aspiring to be Leader of the United Kingdom.
Attributes of a leader are important.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Of course I care about policy, to say I don't based off my opinion on Corbyn is silly.
But equally, he is still the leader of the Labour Party. Aspiring to be Leader of the United Kingdom.
Attributes of a leader are important.
Which attributes, and how so?