g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jimmy Murphy & Denzil Haroun awards | Harrison & Wheatley awarded

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Apart from those mentioned, Kingdon and Jackson have been a great partnership in the U/18's whilst Sonny Aljofree has been the mainstay of the U/21's. Nolan's versatility might go against him across both teams and others have had good spells but then have been out injured. Players like Forson have probably suffered by being in the first team squad as back-up...he's only started 8 games all season for the juniors. Devaney has done well all season for the U/18's so he might be a dark horse but others have been more prominent such as Williams.

I think Wheatley's goalscoring exploits and rise to the first team will see him win an award.

U/18's League - 5 starts (2 subs)/8 goals
U/18 PL Cup - 6(0)/9
U/18 FAYC - 2(0)/0
U/19 EYL - 6(0)/1
U/21 PL2 - 5(4)/4
U/21 EFL Cup - 0(2)/0

Total = 24(8)/22
Agree on Aljofree, a pretty consistent performer. Devaney the same, solid players for their teams.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
Amass IMO has been consistently better than Wheatley - but Wheatley has been good at the end of the season and that is easier to remember

I would not say "perhaps" Harrison - he is right up there with the best

top1whoisman

Scout
Amass IMO has been consistently better than Wheatley - but Wheatley has been good at the end of the season and that is easier to remember

I would not say "perhaps" Harrison - he is right up there with the best
He's played in one U18 PL game that he hasn't scored in. Three goals and an assist in his opening 111 minutes for the U18s. Scored in his first appearance in the PL2. He's been very consistent. Even apart from his numbers, which are very impressive.

But it’s hard to beat Amass, he’s been very good. Who knows about all the things they consider when they give out these awards. Things we don’t know about such as behaviour off the pitch etc.

Harrison has cut down on his errors and improved a lot this season.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
He's played in one U18 PL game that he hasn't scored in. Three goals and an assist in his opening 111 minutes for the U18s. Scored in his first appearance in the PL2. He's been very consistent. Even apart from his numbers, which are very impressive.

But it’s hard to beat Amass, he’s been very good. Who knows about all the things they consider when they give out these awards. Things we don’t know about such as behaviour off the pitch etc.

Harrison has cut down on his errors and improved a lot this season.
I don't question Wheatley - I just think Amass generally has looked our best player. He came in and looked too good for that level from day 1. He often was one of our best attacking weapons as a left-back

top1whoisman

Scout
I don't question Wheatley - I just think Amass generally has looked our best player. He came in and looked too good for that level from day 1. He often was one of our best attacking weapons as a left-back
He’s been very good, absolutely. Just somewhat disagree that Wheatley is in the discussion simply because of his recent form. He’s had a great season from the start, in my opinion.

GueRed

Harry Amass and Finley McAllister have been the most consistent performers so either would be deserving of the award for me.

I think Ethan Wheatley has been criticised quite a bit on here but I liked him early on after seeing him in a run of games for the first time.

He has lead the line well for the U-18s all season. And is starting to use his frame to good use..
He has earnt his recent place on the first team bench..

I just hope he keeps developing because as I've said before he has some good qualities to be a decent CF.

Borninthe80ts

For the under 18s I don’t think nobody has matched the consistently high level that Amass has. Others have played some great games, but injuries and rotation has pretty much meant only 2 to 3 players really in the running.

Wheatley has shown the most dramatic rise these last few months especially with his finishing and debut so I can see him winning one.

Devaney and McAllister have both impressed me in their versatility and consistency. I think a lot of our good work has come from the base of solid centre backs and deepest midfielder. Good foundations.

lysglimt

Scout
He’s been very good, absolutely. Just somewhat disagree that Wheatley is in the discussion simply because of his recent form. He’s had a great season from the start, in my opinion.
He has had a very good season - but I would still say it's in the last 3 months of the season he has really started to shine and really made a difference in games. Which he didn't really do at the start of the season (apart from the odd PremierLeague cup game). I still think all our strikers score too few goals - when you create as many chances as we do - you would expect them to score more. But as I said - Wheatley has improved. But someone like Arsenals Chido Obi has scored more league goals in the last 4 league games than Wheatley has done all season - to put things into perspective.

That's why I would pick Amass over him - but yeah he is up there - and I think he will win it

top1whoisman

Scout
He has had a very good season - but I would still say it's in the last 3 months of the season he has really started to shine and really made a difference in games. Which he didn't really do at the start of the season (apart from the odd PremierLeague cup game). I still think all our strikers score too few goals - when you create as many chances as we do - you would expect them to score more. But as I said - Wheatley has improved. But someone like Arsenals Chido Obi has scored more league goals in the last 4 league games than Wheatley has done all season - to put things into perspective.

That's why I would pick Amass over him - but yeah he is up there - and I think he will win it
That’s fair enough. He has a lot of potential and room to improve. If he keeps on developing he’ll be an interesting player to look out for.

And yeah Obi-Martin’s recent numbers are crazy. And he’s 16.

KevinJoh

I understand hype around Amass, and he was really good so certainly should be in contention. Wheatley also, excellent season. Still, I would pick Williams above those 2, and also McAllister would be in front of those two. Also, Jackson and Kingdon would be in contention. Problem with Williams is that he has been half/half U18/U21, so not sure if that should be counted, but he would be my choice for U18, and Harrison for U21 as he was more with them.

top1whoisman

Scout
I understand hype around Amass, and he was really good so certainly should be in contention. Wheatley also, excellent season. Still, I would pick Williams above those 2, and also McAllister would be in front of those two. Also, Jackson and Kingdon would be in contention. Problem with Williams is that he has been half/half U18/U21, so not sure if that should be counted, but he would be my choice for U18, and Harrison for U21 as he was more with them.
Williams should’ve won the Jimmy Murphy Award last season in my opinion and he’s been very good again. This year there’s definitely more competition as our U18s have been superb.

bringbackbebe

If Wheatley has made his first team debut but Amass has not, given we are desperately short in both positions, does that put Wheatley ahead of Amass? FYI, I'm not saying he is, just wanted to get opinions of posters who follow both closely.

Gordon S

If Wheatley has made his first team debut but Amass has not, given we are desperately short in both positions, does that put Wheatley ahead of Amass? FYI, I'm not saying he is, just wanted to get opinions of posters who follow both closely.
Haven`t seen enough of them myself either but a guess is that Wheatleys height helps him to a quicker debut?
Doesn`t seem smaller than Höjlund who is of decent size himself.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wheatley's a year older which is probably a big factor, plus he's about 6'5 so it'd be very hard to imagine him not having the physicality for the men's game eventually. I think there's less risk sticking young attackers in because they might bag like Garnacho or Rashford but young defenders always run the risk of costing you a goal.

bringbackbebe

Wheatley's a year older which is probably a big factor, plus he's about 6'5 so it'd be very hard to imagine him not having the physicality for the men's game eventually. I think there's less risk sticking young attackers in because they might bag like Garnacho or Rashford but young defenders always run the risk of costing you a goal.
That makes sense, thanks.

I'm quite sure a scarecrow placed at left back will have lesser risk costing us a goal than AWB though.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Given the first team games line-ups, injuries, risks etc...it all comes down to Ten Hag's thoughts on each game and the tactics he wants in the moment.

If he is trying to protect Wan-Bissaka because of a knock/niggle/fatigue then he could play Kambwala (now also injured), switch Dalot or bring Amass or Ogunneye on.

If he is doing the same with Hojlund, he has fewer options. Sure Garnacho, Antony or Rashford could play there but he upsets the balance. Hojlund has been carrying a back niggle and been working upfront on his own game after game. Maybe he just thought it was right for a like-for-like swap at the time.

I'm not sure he thinks one kid is more ready than another. And Wheatley's size, which might be an advantage, only becomes one if he uses it that way. Ashley Fletcher was of a similar height and I would never describe him as a physical striker.

Luck, circumstances, a moments decision making from the manager all come into play here.

top1whoisman

Scout
Feel bad for Amass, but at the same time it’s difficult to disagree with either of these.

Same with Williams. He should’ve won it last year.

McAllister has also had one hell of a season. What a leader.

Last edited:

Greeks

Feel bad for Amass, but at the same time it’s difficult to disagree with either of these.

Same with Williams. He should’ve won it last year.

McAllister has also had one hell of a season. What a leader.
A good year for our young captain. He always plays with pride and passion.

Still remember one game when we were one goal down with 10 men on the pitch, he and Kingdom led the fightback for the second half. That really stole my heart for him and his teammates.

Always know that he is a red through and through, but that really nailed it.

lysglimt

Scout
How tall is Harrison ? I have always thought of him as a bit small - but he doesn't look like he is that many inches shorter than Wheatley. Could he be 6'1 or 6'2 ?