João Palhinha

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Some news going around that he's ready to move to another Premier League club in January, should we let go of Casemiro it would be a good move for us.

We already know he works great with Bruno so I hope we do go for him.

SER19

The figures are too high for him in my opinion. 29 at start of next season too, and while thats still young, we have a poor record lately with players nosediving after 30.

TheReligion

Abusive
Probably Liverpool if MacAllister is out for a while. I don’t see us being in for him unfortunately although I like the player - not least because tenHag has said no shopping in January.
I think the no shopping would be based on no outgoings to some degree due to FFP

If Sancho goes and there’s truth to a Saudi move for others then I suspect we absolutely reinvest

Apokalips

Will be too expensive. We need to be smarter with our purchases and I'm sure there are more equivalents elsewhere.

Blood Mage

Too expensive and not good enough on the ball. Like others have said we need to be smarter with our recruitment and sort our scouting out, we've wasted so much money.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we need to replace Casemiro it's because the risk we took in spending big money on a 30 year old DM has come back to bite us after just one year.

With that in mind, opting to replace him by spending yet more big money on a DM who will be 29 years old at the start of next season would seem like minimal improvement on the initial risk we took. Especially when that DM isn't as good as Casemiro was to begin with.

If we have to replace Casemiro we should either be buying younger or buying cheaper than Palhinha. You can't keep spending big money on 29/30 year olds and then wonder why your squad isn't building to anything.

The time to sign Palhinha was when Fulham did it. At 26 years old for £20m.

Gordon S

Would love his physical presence, could help us a lot. But might not offer the quality we need on the ball.
Torn

Walters_19_MuFc

A good player but I'd much prefer a deep-lying playmaker playing as the single pivot, than a ball winner.

Next summer, I'd like us to buy a ball playing number 6 to rotate with Mainoo.

Then, for our number 8 positions, we can have a runner (Mount, McTominay) and a playmaker (Bruno, New player)

Buy 2 midfielders and offload Casemiro (or put him CB), Eriksen and Van de Beek, which will give us 6 midfield options.

davidmichael

I think Palhinha would be perfect for us and a perfect partner for Mainoo, if we could move Casemiro on to a Saudi club for a decent fee and off the wage bill as well as maybe moving on VDB and Sancho then bringing Palhinha and a striker could work.

Mr Smith

I would absolutely love to have him; exactly the kind of player our scouts should be identifying before he makes a PL move. Honestly if he's available I'd do whatever it takes to sign him including binning Casemiro off to Saudi Arabia (and I love Casemiro and still think he can turn his season around).

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Palhinha is an excellent player. We should have signed him when he left Sporting.

I'd be willing to see the club go for him because he would see United as a genuine step up. He'd play for us with something to prove, rather than play for us like he's doing United a favour.

However, on the whole, I think we should follow Rangnick's advice and go after players on their first or second contract. We should be going after young, energetic players who wanna show the world what they're about.

Mainoldo

Don’t think he fits in with our potentials strategy. Won’t present good book value.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Feyenoord midfielder Mats Wieffer potentially provides everything Palhinha provides and a bit more. Both players are of a similar build and height with duel winning potential. Wieffer is over 4 years younger and would represent a far better deal imo due to the likely lower transfer fee and wages in comparison to what Fulham and Palhinha would want.

I can see Arsenal signing Palhinha as someone who could give them that extra push to win the league. But I don't see the point in United signing him due to where we're in our rebuild and it makes much more sense to sign someone in the role who not only contributes now, but also contributes in the long-term.

flappyjay

This place just doesn't learn similar to the recruiters at this club. His age profile is all wrong. Someone will come in to remind me that this isn't fm or fifa and player performances don't take a nose dive into their thirties.

yeaherino

The figures are too high for him in my opinion. 29 at start of next season too, and while thats still young, we have a poor record lately with players nosediving after 30.
90% of our transfers since SAF have gone straight to shit within a season of being here

Oranges038

The Feyenoord midfielder Mats Wieffer potentially provides everything Palhinha provides and a bit more. Both players are of a similar build and height with duel winning potential. Wieffer is over 4 years younger and would represent a far better deal imo due to the likely lower transfer fee and wages in comparison to what Fulham and Palhinha would want.

I can see Arsenal signing Palhinha as someone who could give them that extra push to win the league. But I don't see the point in United signing him due to where we're in our rebuild and it makes much more sense to sign someone in the role who not only contributes now, but also contributes in the long-term.
He looks a good player.

There would be some meltdown on here if ETH signs another player from the Dutch league and Palhinha goes and wins the league with Arsenal.

daba

If we need to replace Casemiro it's because the risk we took in spending big money on a 30 year old DM has come back to bite us after just one year.

With that in mind, opting to replace him by spending yet more big money on a DM who will be 29 years old at the start of next season would seem like minimal improvement on the initial risk we took. Especially when that DM isn't as good as Casemiro was to begin with.

If we have to replace Casemiro we should either be buying younger or buying cheaper than Palhinha. You can't keep spending big money on 29/30 year olds and then wonder why your squad isn't building to anything.

This. He’s a great player but we missed our chance when he went to Fulham and instead got Casemiro. Moving forward we should be focusing on buying younger players that can develop and enjoy their peaks with us - unless bargains present themselves like when Trippier was available for £20m at A.Madrid.

NZT-One

Completely agree. I'd rather go for Andre, the player Fulham is targeting if Palhinha goes. Even though his skillset apparently is a little close to Mainoo.

Bwuk

Some hilariously bad takes in here.

Palhinha would be our best midfielder. He's an absolute monster.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Phenomenal defensively, sure. His passing stats look, well, pretty crap.

If the fee is cheap, sure. Otherwise I'm not really sure - it feels 1 step forward 1 back if we spend big on a player so good at the defensive side but really uninspiring on the ball. ... And then considering the age profile too.

poleglass red

He'd certainly bring a physicality to our midfield that has been lacking for a while now, even when Casemiro plays.

Born2Lose

Far too sensible a signing for us. Isn't there a Dutch version we can sign?

Hughes35

Love him as a player and do think we need a player like him. So luch money for a player that age though.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Some news going around that he's ready to move to another Premier League club in January, should we let go of Casemiro it would be a good move for us.

We already know he works great with Bruno so I hope we do go for him.

We should be going for Andre tbh.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Palhinha is an excellent player. We should have signed him when he left Sporting.

I'd be willing to see the club go for him because he would see United as a genuine step up. He'd play for us with something to prove, rather than play for us like he's doing United a favour.

However, on the whole, I think we should follow Rangnick's advice and go after players on their first or second contract. We should be going after young, energetic players who wanna show the world what they're about.
Exactly this. I really rate Palhinha and wanted him to come here when he was at Sporting. But it might be a little too late for him to come here when we really need to use money wisely. Not just fork out huge fees for players who will have a few good seasons before the decline starts.

daba

No thanks. Much rather Amadou Onana from Everton.
I was at the Spurs v Toon game the other night and seeing what Pape Sarr offers Spurs with his ability to cover ground and marshall the midfield made me really jump on the Onana train.

My hope is we get someone like Andre or Man Utd Kone plus Onana whilst shipping out McTominay, Donny and probably Mejbri.

Andre/Kone + Mainoo + Onana to rotate as the two deeper midfielders, with Bruno or Mount ahead of them would be a nice bunch to choose from, with Gore waiting in the wings too.