John McAfee no longer on the run

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
Has anyone heard about this? Very weird news story, I only heard about it because he did a telephone interview on a podcast I listen to.

Fugitive software pioneer John McAfee may have been captured on the Belize-Mexico border, according to a post on his website that appears to have come as a surprise to authorities in central America.

In the latest twist to the bizarre case, whoismcafee.com – a website set up by McAfee after he went on the run from police wanting to question him over the murder of a neighbour – stated in an update that it had received an "unconfirmed report" of his detention.

But on Sunday, authorities in Belize appeared to dismiss the reports.

"I do not know where he is supposed to have been captured, but he certainly isn't here at San Pedro police station," said an officer stationed in the town McAfee has called home since 2008.

Likewise a source at the US embassy told news agency AFP that people close to the fugitive had denied reports of his capture. A Belize police spokesman also said he had no news of an arrest.

The British-born computer programmer, who built up a fortune on the back of the internet security company that bears his name, has been on the run since November 11, when the body of fellow American businessman Gregory Viant Faull was discovered at a neighbouring property.

The pair were known to have quarrelled in the past, but McAfee – named as a person of interest in the case – has always maintained his innocence.

In a blog, which McAfee began after going on the lam, the fugitive has updated supporters and the media about his life as a fugitive, claiming that he disguised as a drunk German tourist and a peasant hawker to spy on the police investigation.

On Friday, McAfee gave an interview with CNN from an unknown location, during which he bemoaned the lack of baths and poor food available to him since going on the run.

He granted the American network an interview only after it agreed to a series of checks to ensure that his secret hide-out would not be uncovered.

In scenes reminiscent to a cold war thriller, a CNN crew had to deliver a pre-arranged phrase and response before they were granted access to the 67-year-old.

During the interview, McAfee again said he had no involvement in Faull's murder and that he had no intention of handling himself over to Belize authorities. He has previously accused police in the central American county of harassment and expressed fears that he would be killed if taking into the cells.

In response to those claims, Belize prime minister Dean Barrow described the fugitive as "bonkers".

Nonetheless, McAfee appears intent on remaining on the run for as long as is possible.

"I will certainly not turn myself in, and I will certainly not quit fighting. I will not stop my blog," he told CNN.
Not sure what to make of it all. He does seem a bit mental but that doesn't mean he's killed anyone.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Wonder where he really is? My guess a luxury hotel in the Middle East someplace, but I am probably wrong. Other guess the servent's quarters at a friends house, that has to be hell living in those conditions.

PhilipB

Wonder where he really is? My guess a luxury hotel in the Middle East someplace, but I am probably wrong. Other guess the servent's quarters at a friends house, that has to be hell living in those conditions.
Just saw this update. Also, happy days Vice are involved they're brilliant.

Date: December 3, 2012 at 12:22 pm- by John McAfee- Posted in McAfee Files and tagged john mcafee escape from belize, vice magazine- Comment(s): 4
I apologize for the silence, and misdirection. I am currently safe and in the company of two intrepid journalist from Vice Magazine, and, of course, Sam. We are not in Belize, but not quite out of the woods yet. I will do a more detailed posting later today if all goes well. My “double”, carrying on a North Korean passport under my name, was in fact detained in Mexico for pre-planned misbehavior, but due to indifference on the part of authorities was evicted from the jail and was unable to serve his intended purpose in our exit plan. He is now safely out of Mexico.

We are are well, but extremely tired. Vice Magazine, later today will do a posting, with video.

I left Belize because of a series of events which led both Sam and I to believe that she was in danger of capture. She has been my go-between and my eyes and ears in the outside world. I decided to make the move. I will be returning to Belize after I have place Sam in a safe position. My fight is in Belize, and I can do little in exile. My lifeline of information pertaining to the inner workings of the government depends on my physical presence.
There was talk of him being near the Mexican border, guess that's where he is.

PhilipB

I know! The only thing is fecked up but quite brilliant. I'm struggling to decide whether he's on a drug called MDPV, as has been mentioned, and is paranoid to the extreme or whether he really should be worried. The thing is the police in Belize weren't even going to arrest him, they just wanted to question him about his dead neighbour but he went on the run instead.

PhilipB

I realise none of you care but I'm going to keep updating this anyway.

The Vice guys have made it out to him.

However, apparently you can get data from a picture that gives away your exact location. So when this was uploaded someone discovered that the data in the picture said they're in Guatemala. McAfee posted this on his blog though:

I openly apologize to Vice Magazine for manipulating their recently published photo. I have been ferocioously put my place by Mr. Rocco for “interfering” with the objectivity of their reporting. I, for my own safety, manipulated the xif data on the image taken from my cellphone, and created a fake emrgency so that the urgency of movement led, as I knew it would, to the hasty posting on their website. I felt that our tenuous situation demanded action, and that was the action that I chose.

I do not believe that Vice will remain with me further. Again, my apologies.
To be fair, that's exactly what I would say if someone gave away my location so he could be talking shit here and they've made a genuine mistake.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's supposedly got people coming after him again and is releasing info on Twitter to scare them off.

This guy has a helluva story so Christ knows what he's involved in, but he's been known to literally design his own drugs so could be a paranoid mess again.

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee

We really should just have a general thread on him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm surprised McAfee the company haven't rebranded. :lol:

Javi

Wouldn't be hard to find him in Cuba since so few places have internet access.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Honestly, you kill a man, feck a couple of Whales and pay women to shit in your mouth and all of a sudden you’re “insane”.... it’s political correctness gone mad.
He's the good kind of insane, apart from the bad stuff.

Camilo

Clearly a lunatic. I doubt anyone's actually looking for him.

GiddyUp

The guy literally likes to eat shit, his body is most likely riddled with toxoplasmosis.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You mean he might eat shit and die?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I’m trying to resist the urge to make a joke about it being impossible to uninstall.