Jonny Evans (again!)

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
To be fair, Wes Brown would start in almost any other team in the Premiership.

RedPhil1957

samabachan said:
How does he compare to O'Shea and Wes Brown when they were at the same level? By all accounts they too both stood out at this level and yet have gone on to become nothing more than squad players.

Wes Brown suffered a series of bad injuries which, I think, stopped him being one of the very best defenders around.

Uzi

but he's still the best natural defender at united though..ANd he would walk into any other team, he should be an England regular instead of the scrappy and messy and libality of a player like J Terry...

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
John O'Shea was pretty average at reserve team level from what I remember.

Most people thought he wouldn't ever make the first team at the time. He was quite a late developer.

Evans is way ahead of where O'Shea was at 19... a very long way ahead in fact.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
John O'Shea was pretty average at reserve team level from what I remember.

Most people thought he wouldn't ever make the first team at the time. He was quite a late developer.

Evans is way ahead of where O'Shea was at 19... a very long way ahead in fact.
Tend to agree with the reference to John O'Shea...but Wes Brown was absolutely outstanding as a 15 year old schoolboy....true class...stonger than Evans with much more composure.....his injuries have always come at critical times.....

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
didn't o'shea have jimmy floyd in his pocket at 19? before the game at SB saf said something along the lines of 'hes a big bastard from holland, but you're an even bigger bastard from waterford'

fatboy

didn't o'shea have jimmy floyd in his pocket at 19? before the game at SB saf said something along the lines of 'hes a big bastard from holland, but you're an even bigger bastard from waterford'
Sad to say, he's gone a bit poof since then. He's still decent back up for the fullback and midfield positions mind, but I don't quite trust him at CB. It's a pity that he doesn't seem to know how to use his 6'4 frame effectively.

Brown is still one of the very best defenders around, when he's fit and had a decent run of games.

Johnny Evans seems to have sorted out the physical aspects of the game at 19, which is quite remarkable. His match temperament seems solid too ... taken to International football like fish to the water. Hopefully he stays injury free and continues to develop his game. Of all our current young players, I've got my hopes pinned on him the most.

notiboiboi

Brown and O'shea were not regulars for the international team when they were just 19?
The experience does wonders i bet..

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Tend to agree with the reference to John O'Shea...but Wes Brown was absolutely outstanding as a 15 year old schoolboy....true class...stonger than Evans with much more composure.....his injuries have always come at critical times.....
You don't get more composed than Jonny Evans. Certainly not 'much more composed'. Beckanbauer wasn't much more composed.

mista john

How does he compare to O'Shea and Wes Brown when they were at the same level? By all accounts they too both stood out at this level and yet have gone on to become nothing more than squad players.
I have seen both O'Shea and Evans playing for Antwerp. No comparison. O'Shea looked very ordinary, I always thought someome like Danny Higgingbotham was just as good if not better. But Evans looked real class.

No idea about Brown but my memory tells me people were saying the same about him as they say about Evans now. I think saying that Bown is just a squad player is very harsh. He's a class player, hurt by injuries as others have said. He also needs to be a bit tougher, if that can be taught.

westlife4ever

I think saying that Bown is just a squad player is very harsh. He's a class player, hurt by injuries as others have said. He also needs to be a bit tougher, if that can be taught.
Wes is a tough guy, but due to his injuriy history may affect his game a little bit.

I think Jonny Evans is alrealy more composed on the pitch than Wes.

Gabe

So is it best for Evans to remain on loan next season?
For sure.
Hopefully Sunderland get promoted, regular premiership football would be the perfect transition for Evans.
He wouldn't be playing week in, week out, if he came back to United now, and that's what he needs to develop.

BTW Sunderland - Burnley is live on Setanta Friday.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Those injuries ruined his development too. Brown looked set to be a legend as a young player imo...