Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
My impression in him was that he is talented and has everything to become a good Nr.9..but premier league and a club like utd is far too early....physically not yet strong enough, not greedy enough to score goals, needs to improve shooting and headers in some situations.

Surprised we aren't linked somehow due to the "ETH only signs Dutch/Eredevise/Players he worked with" trope.

According to reports he has a 40M release clause, that's a bargain we should be all over him.

He is very technical. Non a goal scorer (yet) but he is a forward-playmaker. He reminds a young Ibrahimovic. Word class potential. For 40m (Euro) is a bargain.

Can’t judge that personally. But him and Maatsen missing out is weird to me.
Koeman is conservative and won't call up players he hasnt used before to the Euros. Zirkzee was in the selectikn before, but had to back out injured.

Maatsen would be a no brainer as a wingback, especially since Hartman is out, but Ake and Van de Ven arent slouches either. They're also both able to play as a cb as well.

He is very technical. Non a goal scorer (yet) but he is a forward-playmaker. He reminds a young Ibrahimovic. Word class potential. For 40m (Euro) is a bargain.
Not doubting, that he can become a good player. But world class potential?!

I’d take him, Maatsen and (in a dream world) Simons - let’s get the dutch boys at The Theatre.

Bit on the fence with Zirkzee.

His position & type of player we 100% need to be more fluid in our attack and get the best attacking output off our inverted forwards.

Yet, his stats are not that amazing & i have a slight feeling that if Sancho stays and plays False 9 he would be just as good as Zirkzee as a False 9.

Feels like Zirkzee has benefitted from Motta's tactics rather than him being an excellent player.

Still not too expensive & wouldnt mind if he joined purely for the reason that i get to see the tactics ive been dying for - the false 9 with 2 inverted forwards.

Will benefit United & Arsenal the most so i see those two and possibly Milan (replacing giroud & benefits R Leao) to be the next clubs involved.

Interesting prospect but he's very raw perhaps even moreso than Hojlund. Too big a risk for the price.

I can't imagine he will come here to be a rotation option, would be good if he fancied the challenge though.

Thought we wanted someone who could play across the front as well?

We literally need a versatile forward that can play in multiple spots roles, not just some big lump up top.

A striker doesn't always mean a "big lump". RVP was not a big lump, neither was Zlatan.

I agree that we need a versatile attacker too but the priority should be to get a good striker to share the load with Hojlund. We need someone like an Isak or a Watkins or a Toney, who is primarily a striker & can take the goal scoring burden from Hojlund's young shoulders, who is still a couple of years away from being a regular striker at a top club.

A striker doesn't always mean a "big lump". RVP was not a big lump, neither was Zlatan.

I agree that we need a versatile attacker too but the priority should be to get a good striker to share the load with Hojlund. We need someone like an Isak or a Watkins or a Toney, who is primarily a striker & can take the goal scoring burden from Hojlund's young shoulders, who is still a couple of years away from being a regular striker at a top club.

The problem with your theory is two fold. One, players like Isak and Watkins are both 80m+ in terms of likely price tag, and we have huge holes in our defense and in midfield that are higher priorities.

Secondly, Hojlund is a bit raw but even last season was one of the better finishers in the entire league in terms of conversion rate. Our issue was far more sat in creating for him more than just needing a better finisher that won’t fluff chances. Harry Kane himself would have struggled to get to 20 goals in that team. So just benching Hojlund isn’t really going to solve attacking issues on its own even if we get an upgrade, and the money for what an “upgrade” might be is better reserved for CB/DM. Which is why Zirkzee is a good option as a he brings a more technical minded striker for a low fee that can offer a different dimension where we might need it.

For me, if we get a striker that is predominantly a goalscorer only - for example Osimhen and maybe Isak - we are just getting another better version of Rasmus Hojlund.

However, Rasmus Hojlund didnt get enough service from Rashford, Garnacho, Antony or Amad.

What makes you think that Isak will get the service when Hojlund didnt?

Toney is a bit better because I've heard he plays a bit like Kane and can play in inverted forwards like our Son or Kulsesvski.

Basically -

Our next striker needs to replace Martial as a creative forward.

Zirkzee on paper sounds exactly this. A deeper lying creative forward to play inbetween our inverted forwards which are our most powerful forwards.

If the likes of Solanke, Toney, Isak or even Osimhen - are creative forwards that can find Rashford & Garnancho just as much as those two will be finding the CF back then thats great.

The position Zirkzee takes it will be easier for Rashford, Garnacho and Amad to find him because he plays deeper and interlinks the rest of the forward line.

However i still believe in Sancho Preseason False 9 doing the same thing & if he was to return - a more creative ST like Toney is more important than Zirkzee imo.

The problem with your theory is two fold. One, players like Isak and Watkins are both 80m+ in terms of likely price tag, and we have huge holes in our defense and in midfield that are higher priorities.

Secondly, Hojlund is a bit raw but even last season was one of the better finishers in the entire league in terms of conversion rate. Our issue was far more sat in creating for him more than just needing a better finisher that won’t fluff chances. Harry Kane himself would have struggled to get to 20 goals in that team. So just benching Hojlund isn’t really going to solve attacking issues on its own even if we get an upgrade, and the money for what an “upgrade” might be is better reserved for CB/DM. Which is why Zirkzee is a good option as a he brings a more technical minded striker for a low fee that can offer a different dimension where we might need it.

It wasn't a "theory", it was a comment on our need and the player in question's suitability to fulfill that need.

With Martial released, the priority to get another striker is as big as the need to fill the holes in defense and midfield. You cannot go into a 60 game season with just one primary striker, that too someone as raw as Hojlund. Isak or Watkins were examples of the type of strikers we need, who are also not "big lumps". It is up to the scouting team to find someone who is within our budget.

Even if we had Kane we would need another striker in the mix. Players need to be rotated or worst, can get injured. I won't go into the creativity, chance creation etc to digress from the main point.

I have seen this guy play as Motta was my number 1 choice to take over from ETH along with McKenna. He is more of a forward than a striker. He can play across the line but doesn't have the holding ability to play as a main striker for a top team. We can't get players just because they are cheaper. They need to fit in with the requirements of the team.

For me, if we get a striker that is predominantly a goalscorer only - for example Osimhen and maybe Isak - we are just getting another better version of Rasmus Hojlund.

However, Rasmus Hojlund didnt get enough service from Rashford, Garnacho, Antony or Amad.

What makes you think that Isak will get the service when Hojlund didnt?

Toney is a bit better because I've heard he plays a bit like Kane and can play in inverted forwards like our Son or Kulsesvski.

Basically -

Our next striker needs to replace Martial as a creative forward.

Zirkzee on paper sounds exactly this. A deeper lying creative forward to play inbetween our inverted forwards which are our most powerful forwards.

If the likes of Solanke, Toney, Isak or even Osimhen - are creative forwards that can find Rashford & Garnancho just as much as those two will be finding the CF back then thats great.

The position Zirkzee takes it will be easier for Rashford, Garnacho and Amad to find him because he plays deeper and interlinks the rest of the forward line.

However i still believe in Sancho Preseason False 9 doing the same thing & if he was to return - a more creative ST like Toney is more important than Zirkzee imo.
Either a creative forward like you said, someone like a Martial/Firminho type. Or we just get creative wingers. We’ve always had inside forwards or wingers that just like to cut in and shoot. I think it would work if we had one like that and then one that’s creative on the other side. We certainly need more goals from the wingers though as it releases a bit of pressure on the ST. When the wingers aren’t scoring or providing then the ST needs to be someone that can create for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.