Jules Koundé | Signs for Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurka

To be fair that wasnt down to Mascherano's height and it was more due to the opposition not having enough possession to make an attack.
To be fair can't remember Barca conceding that many goals from corners and set plays both domestically or in Europe. He played there for a long time if height is the only thing that matters heading the ball it would surely have been found out. Gary Neville was a fantastic header of the ball it's mostly down to strength, position and timing. Mascherano had all of these attributes, Kounde won't get bullied he is built like an ox and clever as well. But that won't matter because we aren't paying 70m for him.

Red_toad

Are you sure that is still the case? Take City - Stones is not dominant in the air, but he's done OK, and they are quite decent in defense. Last season, Liverpool did OK, and if one might say one thing about Gomez, then he is certainly not the strongest defender in the air. There aren't many big forwards around anymore.
None of them are 5,9” he’ll get targeted you isolate the weakest link, happens all the time in the premier league. Buying a defender who’s a bit faster and worse in the air than Lindelof isn’t going to be worth 70 million to the club.

Holters

None of them are 5,9” he’ll get targeted you isolate the weakest link, happens all the time in the premier league. Buying a defender who’s a bit faster and worse in the air than Lindelof isn’t going to be worth 70 million to the club.
Have you ever seen him play? Seems like you just assume he is bad in the air due to his height. He has a fantastic leap on him and isn't bad in the air. Of course the height can be a disadvantage, but don't underestimate his abilities.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well Barca seemed to dominate football around the globe with Mascherano as their starting CB so you can bet on it that a big and a small CB can work. Kounde isn't small he is around 6"2 so not exactly small. But he has pace, positioning and strength that only our other CB's could dream off and his ball playing skills are excellent. It's him at the top of the list for sure but the price will be an issue.
He’s not 6”2. He’s under 6ft

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Ekeke

He’s the height of Paul Parker. Do you not think he’d be targeted?
So why couldnt we do it with Maguire and McTominay?

Also a deep cross in between Lindelof and AWB and especially with DDG in goal is already a bigger weakness than Kounde in the air. And teams dont often target that. Occasionally it leads problems for us but its rarely something teams even keep trying as their main game plan

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Jonas Giaever who watches Sevilla, thinks Kounde would be best paired with Eric Bailly. According to him, Kounde likes to maraude forward which leaves Fernando and Diego Carlos to cover him in a higher defensive line which would be a problem for Maguire unless United adopt a low block approach which suits Maguire.

Been saying this. Maguire is our weakest link not Lindelof though both are average. We will have the exact same issue with any defender if they are paired with Harry and a high line

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Been saying this. Maguire is our weakest link not Lindelof though both are average. We will have the exact same issue with any defender if they are paired with Harry and a high line
I've been saying this too. Ideally Maguire should be sold (I know he won't plus who would pay more than 30 for him). We spent 80m on him, and now we have to spend another 70 to make him look good. He was supposed to fix the problem. That's why we broke the world record to sign him.

Jonas Giaever who watches Sevilla, thinks Kounde would be best paired with Eric Bailly. According to him, Kounde likes to maraude forward which leaves Fernando and Diego Carlos to cover him in a higher defensive line which would be a problem for Maguire unless United adopt a low block approach which suits Maguire.
Basically every time I've seen them, he ends up on the right wing, in the centre-forward position, playing midfield etc...I think he's trying to be the first ever false 4. :lol:

He is a big talent though. I imagine he'd be unbelievably good in a Back 3 formation, where he can actually go roaming when it opens up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Basically every time I've seen them, he ends up on the right wing, in the centre-forward position, playing midfield etc...I think he's trying to be the first ever false 4. :lol:

He is a big talent though. I imagine he'd be unbelievably good in a Back 3 formation, where he can actually go roaming when it opens up.
Jonas Gaiever (in the video on the previous page) says that he is loves to bomb forward on the right with the DM Fernando covering the space he vacates. So pairing him with Eric Bailly would be best alongside him if one was to adopt a front foot approach and play a higher defensive line.

Maguire according to Jonas Gaiever is a deep block CB that wouldn't suit playing next to Kounde in a higher line.

bond19821982

I've been saying this too. Ideally Maguire should be sold (I know he won't plus who would pay more than 30 for him). We spent 80m on him, and now we have to spend another 70 to make him look good. He was supposed to fix the problem. That's why we broke the world record to sign him.
Very true. 60m signing to fix a 80m signing. The state of our transfer dealings.

bond19821982

To be honest we would be much more balanced if we can play 3 at the back . Maguire, Lindelof, Bailey, Axel all would excel in a 3 man defense Covering each of their weaknesses. A right back who can provide width (like Trippier) would be make a decent partnership.

Kounde would fit in nicely.

bond19821982

And if we were to hypothetically sell Maquire, how much would he go for, 30m tops?
Yeah, should easily get 30-40m. Teams like Everton ,Spurs, Westham all would take him and it would be an instant upgrade for all of them.

But again, I won't sell him yet. Yes, it was a bad signing but he can be a bloody good backup. There are games where he would absolutely dominate and we can use him. It's not his problem that we spent 80m . If the expectation was lower, he would have been considered as a good signing.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Yeah, should easily get 30-40m. Teams like Everton ,Spurs, Westham all would take him and it would be an instant upgrade for all of them.

But again, I won't sell him yet. Yes, it was a bad signing but he can be a bloody good backup. There are games where he would absolutely dominate and we can use him. It's not his problem that we spent 80m . If the expectation was lower, he would have been considered as a good signing.
Cant be a backup if he's our captain though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Easily brushed off the ball for Dortmund's opening goal just now.

croadyman

Easily brushed off the ball for Dortmund's opening goal just now.
Yeah got completely outmuscled there didn't he which was worrying, hoping that Koulibaly/Varane are our top two targets but also think it would be unfair to write him off completely on that one mistake though

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Poor first half from him and he's misplaced a few simple passes.
Well, given how the Caf completely turned on Upamecano after a couple of mistakes, I guess that's Koundé out. We still wait for the flawless centre back with all the attributes and none of the weaknesses...(not directed at you btw)

Still annoyed we didn't wrap up Upamecano.

hubbuh

Yeah got completely outmuscled there didn't he which was worrying, hoping that Koulibaly/Varane are our top two targets but also think it would be unfair to write him off completely on that one mistake though
Koulibaly?! That ship has sailed mate. He's about to turn 30, missing games every season through injury, on stonking wages etc. No chance it happens. We should be looking at young players that are on the verge of big things, not expensive big names.

Okey

The 2 legs of this game haven't been a great advert for Kounde, if any of our scouts are watching.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well, given how the Caf completely turned on Upamecano after a couple of mistakes, I guess that's Koundé out. We still wait for the flawless centre back with all the attributes and none of the weaknesses...(not directed at you btw)

Still annoyed we didn't wrap up Upamecano.
I agree, we shouldn't judge players on a small sample size, and I definitely don't watch Sevilla regularly but he's been poor tonight and apart from his two mistakes which led to the BVB goals, he's been poor on the ball too.

croadyman

Koulibaly?! That ship has sailed mate. He's about to turn 30, missing games every season through injury, on stonking wages etc. No chance it happens. We should be looking at young players that are on the verge of big things, not expensive big names.
Who would you sign then

Drz

I remain unconvinced. For the rumoured price I may as well try to pip De Light off Juve, or focus our attentions elsewhere.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I agree, we shouldn't judge players on a small sample size, and I definitely don't watch Sevilla regularly but he's been poor tonight and apart from his two mistakes which led to the BVB goals, he's been poor on the ball too.
Aye, and I'm not arguing for him being signed. I haven't really watched him at all, so no clue. Just highlighting the point that the perfect centre back doesn't exist, or at the very least, is not available. Liverpool probably got as close to it as you can.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
So when Sevilla knocked us out of the europa league last season how many did we smash past under 6 feet Kounde?

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...pa-League-2019-2020-Sevilla-Manchester-United

Just the one, from the penalty spot. Nothing to do with his height

They went out to Slavia Prague with Soucek playing against them the year before, before Kounde at Sevilla.
I remember the game very well, the Seville keeper made a number of last ditch saves. I think there were several 1 on 1's, Martial and Rashford both being denied. Some of the saves were outstanding.
It was one of the most one sided games United have been involved in during the last couple of seasons, so, for me, Seville's defence didn't really shine that night.
I've looked at all the prospective United CB's on YouTube (not definitive I know), but for me, Pau Torres looks the best, but I just hope that whoever United get, they pick the best one, who has pace, is decent in the air, and can read situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.