Jules Koundé | Signs for Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

I remember the game very well, the Seville keeper made a number of last ditch saves. I think there were several 1 on 1's, Martial and Rashford both being denied. Some of the saves were outstanding.
It was one of the most one sided games United have been involved in during the last couple of seasons, so, for me, Seville's defence didn't really shine that night.
I've looked at all the prospective United CB's on YouTube (not definitive I know), but for me, Pau Torres looks the best, but I just hope that whoever United get, they pick the best one, who has pace, is decent in the air, and can read situations.
How many were headers?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
How many were headers?
I see. All you want to prove is that Kounde is not poor in the air, well I don't remember any headers, but we created a lot of opportunities. I had a look at the stats, and we had 20 shots with 7 on target. So your theory may well be right, that he is decent in the air, but we created a lot of chances in that game with him in the Seville team.
As I said, if United buy a CB, then I hope they make the right choice, we only see the odd live match, or highlights on YouTube, so none of us are really in the best position to judge, the scouts and their reports should give the club the best insight. We all have our own opinions, that's why we are on this forum.

Ekeke

I see. All you want to prove is that Kounde is not poor in the air, well I don't remember any headers, but we created a lot of opportunities. I had a look at the stats, and we had 20 shots with 7 on target. So your theory may well be right, that he is decent in the air, but we created a lot of chances in that game with him in the Seville team.
As I said, if United buy a CB, then I hope they make the right choice, we only see the odd live match, or highlights on YouTube, so none of us are really in the best position to judge, the scouts and their reports should give the club the best insight. We all have our own opinions, that's why we are on this forum.
Yeah thats what I remember too. He was fine against us, no problems in the air but not outstanding or anything

Ekeke

Watching highlights of sevilla and dortmund, Kounde was outmuscled for the start of the first goal. Some other mistakes from the defence but his was the first. He also seemed to be pushed quite high up the pitch and when Dortmund broke he was jogging back. This is something that some posters have been disgusted with AWB doing, so thought I better mention it. There were no highlights of headed chances against him

Ekeke

As for Pau, when I have seen him he didnt look very aggressive. And despite his size he didn't look that strong. At the time I thought he looked like a Lindelof that was better on the ball, but Lindelof has improved on the ball this season himself. I suspect he would do better at a team that wants to keep the ball all the time like City rather than a team that is happy to sit and defend then counter. Barcelona another option.

The Irish Connection

Looks average. The height thing doesn’t help either. Kinda wish city signed him instead of Ruben Dias. I reckon the lad milenkovic could be decent for the right price although I haven’t watched him closely.

hubbuh

Would you consider Varane too old
At 27, no. But I'd be wary about whether or not he wanted to join us for the right reasons. He's won it all, is he still properly motivated? There's also the glaring issue of wages. If Maguire was able to command 200/250k a week, what would Varane want?

croadyman

At 27, no. But I'd be wary about whether or not he wanted to join us for the right reasons. He's won it all, is he still properly motivated? There's also the glaring issue of wages. If Maguire was able to command 200/250k a week, what would Varane want?
I reckon his wage demands would be a hell of a lot more realistic than Alaba's and reckon his motivation would still be high, no doubt he will have seen his international team mates in the Premier League and may well fancy a crack at playing in it himself now after a decade in Spain.

hubbuh

I reckon his wage demands would be a hell of a lot more realistic than Alaba's and reckon his motivation would still be high, no doubt he will have seen his international team mates in the Premier League and may well fancy a crack at playing in it himself now after a decade in Spain.
Personally I'd steer clear of all three of Koulibaly, Varane and Alaba. There are plenty of young, hungry and more financially realistic options out there.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've seen all the CBs that we have been linked with and I don't think any are that good that they will solve our defensive issues. There isn't another Rio or Vidic on the market right now. If we pay huge money for one of these CBs then we get everything we deserve. Even Varane has looked like a calamity in some games I've watched this season.

I'd go as far as saying that I wouldn't put any above Lindelof and Bailly when we signed them, and look how they turned out. Biggest upside I've seen, and maintained this when they were getting dismissed for performances, was Upamecano. But he's not really been linked and is going elsewhere last I read.

gajender

I've seen all the CBs that we have been linked with and I don't think any are that good that they will solve our defensive issues. There isn't another Rio or Vidic on the market right now. If we pay huge money for one of these CBs then we get everything we deserve. Even Varane has looked like a calamity in some games I've watched this season.
I believe best course of action would be to bring in DM and new commanding keeper if Henderson fails to impress and see how our current options fare and defer the CB acquisition till another season.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
As for Pau, when I have seen him he didnt look very aggressive. And despite his size he didn't look that strong. At the time I thought he looked like a Lindelof that was better on the ball, but Lindelof has improved on the ball this season himself. I suspect he would do better at a team that wants to keep the ball all the time like City rather than a team that is happy to sit and defend then counter. Barcelona another option.
You've probably seen Pau Torres more than I have, so you may be right. Watching these guys on YouTube is certainly not the best way of deciding who would be a better fit for United. From what I've seen, a fully fit Bailly is as good as anyone of those players, and we can hope that Tuanzebe can get some minutes, and Mengi plays more for Derby (he did better tonight apparently, top marks of all the outfield players).
Kounde doesn't feel like the right player for us though.

croadyman

I believe best course of action would be to bring in DM and new commanding keeper if Henderson fails to impress and see how our current options fare and defer the CB acquisition till another season.
Really like that idea but it's clear the club have no intention of signing a pure DM and are happy to continue with this Fred & McTominay double pivot when it really should be a mobile guy good on the ball alongside a creative CM.

Silas

Would be weirder for him to suddenly stop trying.

People who dislike Lindelof would hate Pau Torres. Very much a passive defender who - like Lindelof - defends space rather than the man. I like Lindelof, so I actually like Pau Torres too...but he's every criticism of Lindelof cranked up to 100. He's literally in the bottom 1 percentile among defenders for tackles made, 4th percentile for pressures.

He's also only winning 54% of aerial duels - which puts him in the bottom 17% of defenders.

For what it's worth Lindelof is in the 80th percentile for aerial duels won...for any other criticisms about his style, it's a complete myth that he's bad in the air nowadays.

Given how we play, I do think I'd prefer us to sign a more proactive, on-ball defender.

hubbuh

Would be weirder for him to suddenly stop trying.
Not stop trying per se, but we've seen it before when a highly decorated player comes in on massive wages from an elite club and just chugs along, going through the motions. They've got nothing left to prove to themselves and to the world so they switch to autopilot. There's a reason why so many older pros get linked with us, it's because we've been known to pick them up and pay them the highest wages around. I find it hard to believe they all buy in to our 'project'.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
People who dislike Lindelof would hate Pau Torres. Very much a passive defender who - like Lindelof - defends space rather than the man. I like Lindelof, so I actually like Pau Torres too...but he's every criticism of Lindelof cranked up to 100. He's literally in the bottom 1 percentile among defenders for tackles made, 4th percentile for pressures.

He's also only winning 54% of aerial duels - which puts him in the bottom 17% of defenders.

For what it's worth Lindelof is in the 80th percentile for aerial duels won...for any other criticisms about his style, it's a complete myth that he's bad in the air nowadays.

Given how we play, I do think I'd prefer us to sign a more proactive, on-ball defender.
Which is why I dont want him anywhere near the club. I don’t want any more passive defenders. One is enough.
in my opinion we need a commanding cb who can shore things up when maguire carries it out.
obviously they would ideally have physical presence and passing
Konate would be great but for fitness issues

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Linked to Chelsea and is also currently in action for Sevilla vs Celta Vigo. Sevilla are trailing 3-2, with Kounde scoring from a corner and also conceding a pen.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is he not massively overpriced? Same age as Konate who has a paltry release clause and looks way more promising. Upamecano same age again, also going for under 40m to Bayern, and he's the only one of the 3 who's been capped by France.

I seem to recall reading something about 50m or more for this player who has - on the admittedly few occasions I've seen him play - never looked like some outstanding talent.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Is he not massively overpriced? Same age as Konate who has a paltry release clause and looks way more promising. Upamecano same age again, also going for under 40m to Bayern, and he's the only one of the 3 who's been capped by France.

I seem to recall reading something about 50m or more for this player who has - on the admittedly few occasions I've seen him play - never looked like some outstanding talent.
A month ago some on here would have you believe he was the second coming.

Finally people are realising he’s a good CB but not a great one.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Which is why I dont want him anywhere near the club. I don’t want any more passive defenders. One is enough.
in my opinion we need a commanding cb who can shore things up when maguire carries it out.
obviously they would ideally have physical presence and passing
Konate would be great but for fitness issues
Exactly my concern. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I would take Mings, Konsa, Dunk above these kind of passive defenders.

PS: I haven't watched them at all and this is purely based on suggestions that Torres and Kounde is no different from Lindelof

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Exactly my concern. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I would take Mings, Konsa, Dunk above these kind of passive defenders.

PS: I haven't watched them at all and this is purely based on suggestions that Torres and Kounde is no different from Lindelof
Kounde is different to Lindelof and is a proactive defender in comparison.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Oh ok, thanks mate.
Kounde fits the profile of the player that can help us defend higher up the pitch due to his ability to defend against the quickest players in 1v1 situations where there's acres of space for the opposition attacker to exploit. His height, might or might not be a issue though.

Dve

When people are complaining about Lindelöf sometimes being outmuscled, I´m not sure Kounde with his 178 cm is the right signing in a physical PL. And for me, his other attributes do not weight up for it. I´d prefer Varane or Torres.

bond19821982

Kounde fits the profile of the player that can help us defend higher up the pitch due to his ability to defend against the quickest players in 1v1 situations where there's acres of space for the opposition attacker to exploit. His height, might or might not be a issue though.
I'm least bothered about height to be honest. Maguire is a beast. Not many people can out jump him. But he fells flat against quick players. A fit Bailly would do wonders to this team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
When people are complaining about Lindelöf sometimes being outmuscled, I´m not sure Kounde with his 178 cm is the right signing in a physical PL. And for me, his other attributes do not weight up for it. I´d prefer Varane or Torres.
Kounde is actually quite strong for his height.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm least bothered about height to be honest. Maguire is a beast. Not many people can out jump him. But he fells flat against quick players. A fit Bailly would do wonders to this team.
Bailly sadly missed too many games, but I do agree. And if Mark Ogden is correct, then Bailly will be leaving at the end of the season.

CM

Have you watched Mings? He's an absolute car crash. Konsa and Dunk aren't United level either but Mings is seriously crap.

The United

I would stay away from short CBs no matter how good they are in the air. EPL is very different.

I don't remember any short CBs excelled in EPL, do you? I know people will pull out a couple of world class Italian defenders to prove height is not important for CBs. They are just extremely rare and not many short CBs will end up like them.

passing-wind

Have you watched Mings? He's an absolute car crash. Konsa and Dunk aren't United level either but Mings is seriously crap.
Seconded, Mings every time I've witnessed him playing he displays terrible positioning, can't read the game, lacks concentration and looks championship quality. No idea how be has caps for the national team. Konsa has been the more standout defender for Villa.

bond19821982

Point was relative to Torres or Kounde (which Adnan corrected later). We need an aggressive partner to Maguire and not another passive guy.

Having said, I rate Dunk as good as Maguire or above that.

A-man

Point was relative to Torres or Kounde (which Adnan corrected later). We need an aggressive partner to Maguire and not another passive guy.

The ones you mention would not partner Maguire, they would be backups. If someone is going to partner Maguire they must be able to stay calm and cover, not to push forward at the wrong times.

Watched parts of his last game and he looks decent in the air imo. Also scored a goal with a header, but only 10 minutes later created a penalty. However the PL is a different beast when it comes to aerials.

CM

I don't disagree with the general point. I'd like a proactive defender too but they also have to be the right quality otherwise what's the point?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would stay away from short CBs no matter how good they are in the air. EPL is very different.

I don't remember any short CBs excelled in EPL, do you? I know people will pull out a couple of world class Italian defenders to prove height is not important for CBs. They are just extremely rare and not many short CBs will end up like them.
Carvalho, Blind had a great season next to Smalling, Thiago Silva is no giant.

Defending is more about timing, positioning and bravery rather than pure height alone. You can be tall but if you can't jump or position your body correctly you'll never get to it first.

jesperjaap

Sadly dont getto see much SPanish football nowadays with it not being on Sky so only really seen him in Europe. I think he is a decent defender from what I have seen, doesnt look an exceptional one to me though and reported fees look pretty high to me. Not seen enough for a definative opinion but my gut feeling is we would be over paying for a decent defender which we have done all to often for several years and sure there are better options available

jesperjaap

Would you consider Varane too old
Genuinely surprised he is still just 27, thought he must be 30 by now, still remember us being linked with him hugely before he went to Madrid, think he was a Mourinho signing there wasnt he?

I think he is a great defender 80% of the time and looks diabolical at others. Very good but at the same time not as good as he is cracked up to be.

Style wise I see him as Reals Ferdinand to Ramos being Vidic in the partnership....but Ramos is by far the better defender individually for Real, one of the very best of his generation like Ferdinand before him. Varane is the excellent defender in a perfect partnership but hugely boosted by the partnership he is in, quality but not one of the worlds great very very best defenders individually, much like how I see Vidic personally, which sounds critical, it isnt he was excellent but Ferdinand made him a world great with the gelling of the partnership in my opinion.

That is why personally along with the fact he turned us down before, rightly or wrongly question the hunger still beign there as he has won everything...maybe bitter as £60m isnt actually a bad price and not many better centre backs we could sign forgetting transfer fees at all currently, certainly rather spend this kind of money on him that a reported similar fee for Kounde or £80m on Fofana......but its £25m ROmagnoli all day long for me

Status
Not open for further replies.