Kieran Lee leaves

oskarutd

DEFENDER LEE IS FIRST SIGNING
Posted on: Wed 21 May 2008

Athletic have made their first signing of the summer by swooping for Manchester United midfielder Kieran Lee on a free transfer.

The versatile 19-year-old - who can be deployed in central midfield or either full-back position - has penned a two-year deal after arriving at Boundary Park this afternoon.

Lee is Latics' first signing of the summer and will lend versatility to the squad after playing in a variety of positions whilst with United.

He made three senior appearances during his time at Old Trafford, in addition to featuring eight times during a spell on loan at Coca-Cola Championship side QPR last season.
link

The Stalybridge-born youngster made big strides with the Premier League giants, being made reserve team captain after penning a two-year professional contract at the end of the 2005/06 season.

He scored a sensational late winner on his debut in the televised Carling Cup clash at Crewe and also appeared against Southend United later in the competition.

A Premier League debut was to follow, against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on May 9, 2007.

Lee was awarded the Denzil Haroun Reserve Team Player of the Year trophy at the end of the 2006/07 in recognition of his fine performances for the second string.

He was an unused substitute for the Champions' League game against Roma in December 2007 before joining QPR on loan in January 2008.

The player returned to Old Trafford at the end of the season, when Latics top brass stepped in with an approach to take him to Boundary Park.

Check oldhamathletic.co.uk later this afternoon for an exclusive chat with Latics' first signing of the summer.

PS18

surprised we've let him go on a free and relatively early in his development, may well prove to be for the best though if he can get his professional career up and running early and start working his way back up the league. got it in him to be a solid Championship player at least, maybe more.

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Good player, one of the best players for the reserves before he went out on loan. I thought he had a chance of making it, simply because of his versatility, in a John O´shea/Phil Neville role. He obviously isn´t as good as I thought he´d be, but I think he´ll prove to be a good signing for Oldham.

Good luck to him.

Cold_Boy

I thought he had a chance.

Wasn;t he reserves captain and all.How have we let him go for free.

RedPhil1957

I thought he had a chance.

Wasn;t he reserves captain and all.How have we let him go for free.

Because there will be loads of young players released and we do our best to help our players find a new club a fee would reduce his chances.

Brophs

The One and Only
Best of luck to him, I have a feeling he might be one of the players we line up against in the Premier League in a few years time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Good player, one of the best players for the reserves before he went out on loan. I thought he had a chance of making it, simply because of his versatility, in a John O´shea/Phil Neville role. He obviously isn´t as good as I thought he´d be, but I think he´ll prove to be a good signing for Oldham.

Good luck to him.
My thoughts exactly. I always thought he had something about him. I thought that goal against Southend might turn out to be the start of something great.

Ho hum. Another one bites the dust.

Name Changed

weso26
Good luck to him. Maybe physically he just wasn't big enough, yet. I reckon we could still see him in the Premiership sooner rather than later.

Chris H

Video Posting God
It's seems going out on loan is the kiss of death to a United career these days...
I wouldn't go that far. All of our Academy grads get loaned out around age 18-19. Most never make the senior squad, but a few come come back to the club for a short while, like Richardson, Simpson and Evans, to see if they can cut it here. Perhaps Evans will be the first in quite some time to actually do so next season.

Although perhaps not.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I wouldn't go that far. All of our Academy grads get loaned out around age 18-19. Most never make the senior squad, but a few come come back to the club for a short while, like Richardson, Simpson and Evans, to see if they can cut it here. Perhaps Evans will be the first in quite some time to actually do so next season.

Although perhaps not.
If Evans and Welbeck can't make it to be fair I doubt any one else will

Cupid Stunt

"In that, Anfield is unbeatable. Put a shit h
If Evans and Welbeck can't make it to be fair I doubt any one else will
Welbeck will make it, from the first touch I saw him take I thought "This kid will make it", he has class and product about him. Don't know about Evans though, he is good enough at Premiership level but Rio and Vida look set for at least 3 years. I dont think he will want to wait.