Kieran McKenna | Ipswich manager

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I love people that are so confident that him moving on is a great thing, like they have any idea about the inner workings of the club and what he brings to the table.
But that’s the modern internet fan for you. They quite literally have no idea how good, or bad, he is. Even what he does, but people have called him shit, and told him to feck off out of our club for ages. Despite complete ignorance on his actual performance. Huge segments of the posters on here are really, really stupid. They throw huge amounts of shit at the wall, usually wrapped in bile and vitriol and when one of them actually sticks, take it as vindication of all their unbacked opinions.

Only two things that I hope happen as a result of this move, (1) he does well in his new post, and (2) Rangnick gets the coach he wants to replace him.

peridigm

Who's gonna be in ralfs ear all game from now though.
Fletch has been hanging around training and matches since Ole was sacked. He will probably continue for the foreseeable future. Expect we might see Jesse Marsch soon too.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's interesting how many United insiders or coaching experts there are here in the forum. Thank you for your valuable insights and opinions.

Red_toad

Best of luck to him, hope he fills his potential there and gets them back in the premier league.

bringbackbebe

Best of luck to him. Sad to see him leave but this is a big opportunity to prove himself amidst doubters.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
But that’s the modern internet fan for you. They quite literally have no idea how good, or bad, he is. Even what he does, but people have called him shit, and told him to feck off out of our club for ages. Despite complete ignorance on his actual performance. Huge segments of the posters on here are really, really stupid. They throw huge amounts of shit at the wall, usually wrapped in bile and vitriol and when one of them actually sticks, take it as vindication of all their unbacked opinions.

Only two things that I hope happen as a result of this move, (1) he does well in his new post, and (2) Rangnick gets the coach he wants to replace him.
It's interesting how many United insiders or coaching experts there are here in the forum. Thank you for your valuable insights and opinions.
Agreed with all the posts. Is there any club where people know so much about how good or bad coach is, without ever attending their training sessions?

sglowrider

Agreed with all the posts. Is there any club where people know so much about how good or bad coach is, without ever attending their training sessions?
You mean you think Caftards are making things up? Its not like I go around the plane and pass judgements on my pilot's flying capabilities when in flight, even though I have only parachuted a few times and don't have a pilot's license.

I do fly a lot though and have done so a lot in the past.

So our fellow Caftards must know what they are talking about -- have some insider knowledge or are coached themselves and attended training sessions, to be able to pontificate or pass cock-sure judgements on those professional United coaches/managers.

Real Name

Best of luck to him, hope he does well.

Now Ralf wont have him whispering to his ear look at us flying.

crossy1686

career ending
Yep! The hyperbole aimed at McKenna and Carrick is way over the top, and wasn’t helped by Scholes saying the whole staff should go with Ole.

But I think the reason people love to hate on Carrick and McKenna is because Solskjaer insisted the coaching staff was world class as we were getting hammered by everyone in the league and playing like shit, and we’ve looked poorly coached for over a year now.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Agree, its absolutely hilarious some of the posts in here! Acccording to some our recent problems have all been his fault, so it'll be all rosy from now on!

Then if he does well it'll all be Woodward/Glazers fault for letting him go...

sglowrider

Agree, its absolutely hilarious some of the posts in here! Acccording to some our recent problems have all been his fault, so it'll be all rosy from now on!

Then if he does well it'll all be Woodward/Glazers fault for letting him go...
If they have little or no insider knowledge or don't coach themselves, how do they make their judgements? It's like me yelling at the pilot of a plane on how to fly better... even though my only 'qualifications' is that of being passenger and I fly a lot.

M Bison

Supports
York City
If they have little or no insider knowledge or don't coach themselves, how do they make their judgements? It's like me yelling at the pilot of a plane on how to fly better... even though my only 'qualifications' is that of being passenger and I fly a lot.
Great analogy :lol:

Biggins

Best of luck to Kieran. Still a young guy with plenty to prove. Time for a significant rebuild in our coaching set up.

justsomebloke

Harsh words, but I share the bemusement over the amount of people who feel qualified to judge the work of individual coaches, without as far as I can see having any relevant information that would allow them to do that.

AndySmith1990

Can't pretend I know what his credentials are and whether him leaving is good or bad. But my gut feeling is, clearing out everyone from the Ole regime is probably a good thing.

The only one left hanging on for dear life is old Mike. Poor guy probably sobs into a flannel each night reminiscing about the good old days, where him and Ole would tell jokes and sip cappuccinos as they sat in the lounge watching boxsets during training sessions.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Became pretty sick of watching him looking concerned on the sidelines.
That and looking a bit too P Neville.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I love people that are so confident that him moving on is a great thing, like they have any idea about the inner workings of the club and what he brings to the table.
It's pretty evident his method's weren't working for United.

Waynne

I'm loving this complete reboot of the club.

Anyone tied to Ole regime must go. Phelan and his shorts is next.

SparkedIntoLife

He’s meant to be an excellent coach so I’m not thrilled by the news. The football the youth played under him was really good at times, though not defensively solid. He lacks a bit of gravitas, as indicated by player press leaks and how he comes off in interviews. But it’s clear he’s a hard worker and a very bright coach. I hope he does very well.

Martyn Pert was supposed to be alright too. Bielsa likes him and, as a Portuguese speaker, he was useful with the likes of Fred and Telles.

Mark Dempsey seems to still remain from Ole’s staff but I hear he’s got a fairly nondescript role in the academy now after a health incident a year or two back. Seemingly a demotion? Phelan appears to have some sort of advisory role but I guess Rangnick will keep him at arms length.

The set pieces coach Eric Ramsey seemingly will remain. Although his work doesn’t appear to be bearing fruit, from what I’ve seen (albeit on YouTube with an uneducated eye) he is impressive.

I hope Rangnick, Murtough and Nick Cox use their networks to find the most promising coaches plus maybe one or two experienced hands. This will be hard mid season, especially given the uncertainty over the next permanent manager. Maybe Fletcher now leans more to the coaching side than the ‘technical’ side.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
This. It genuinely baffles me.
Baffling or not people have to make an educated guess as to what is going on because our club aren’t honest with the fans at all about the inner workings of the club and board etc….. so is the fans are left to try and piece it together.

one thing is for sure that when this club was under ole playing that god awful football he was one of the coaches tacticians call him whatever you want we were told he worked tirelessly on detail etc etc etc. Based on that we can deduce that it is a good thing to see him leave and I’ll go back to a point I made earlier, I’m all on board with ralf, the transparency the honesty and ultimately he has let him go without a fight really so I trust this move because I trust ralf. McKenna has been here long enough to show his colours and he has not done that so we have to somewhat guess.

But he has been here in the back room staff for years promoted under mourinho and has been here ever since, let’s hope ralf gets who he wants in because one thing Will be sure he’ll get the best person for the role available.

The Ipswich job won’t be easy but I have a feeling we won’t be talking about him in 3 years time

sugar_kane

Not thrilled about this, had been a highly rated coach most of his career and a little bit of consistency from regime to regime (whose name isn’t Mick Phelan) wouldn’t have been a bad thing - despite everyone frothing at the mouth for total change, like Ole and his team didn’t literally get us to second and a European final a few months ago.

sparx99

It feels a bit harsh complaining now when he is out but he overstayed his welcome sitting through 2 failed regimes. All cred to him making this decision as the board is unable to make them.
It seems like Rangnick wanted him to stay until he could get his guys in. You can’t have no coaching team while you wait on visa’s.

crossy1686

career ending
With seemingly all the Solskjaer appointed coaches leaving the club over the last month or so, it seem's they haven't been given any assurances about their long term future past the end of the season. Jump before you're pushed.

OmarUnited4ever

Club's statement

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/kieran-mckenna-joins-ipswich-town-as-manager

Manchester United first-team coach Kieran McKenna has been confirmed as the new manager of Ipswich Town.

Kieran joined United as Under-18s coach and quickly enhanced his growing reputation, being promoted to the first-team staff under Jose Mourinho. He was a prominent part of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's backroom team and was subsequently in the dugout as usual for the recent matches under interim boss Ralf Rangnick.
However, the Northern Irishman has accepted the chance to take up a first managerial opportunity with Ipswich, after United granted permission for him to speak about the vacancy.

United coach Martyn Pert is joining Kieran as Ipswich's assistant manager.

Matt007a

Will be interesting to see how this goes. There are such conflicting views about him, but now he’s front and centre as a manager I guess we will find out if he’s really up to it.

People who work with him say he’s great and yet the evidence on the pitch says he can’t be. Which one is it!?

Ixion

Good luck to him. I think it's good for him, Ole, Carrick etc. to go out and do their own thing and we can really see who has potential.