Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I actually think it would be a real shame if he left Ipswich in the lurch, having got them promoted.

He needs a year in the PL anyway, before taking on a higher profile job. To see if he can cut it.
Realistically, he's not going to cut it in the Premier League if he stays at Ipswich. Now is the time to make a move to a club where he can have access to the resources needed to maintain his winning momentum. I'd be all for him returning.

Semper Fudge

Apt Tagline
I actually think it would be a real shame if he left Ipswich in the lurch, having got them promoted.

He needs a year in the PL anyway, before taking on a higher profile job. To see if he can cut it.
They're going straight back down anyway.

BristolRuss

Don't see McKenna moving right now. He'll want at least one year in the top flight with Ipswich before he considers moving on.

Ace of Spades

It would also be a big mistake to make, until he has had at least 1 year in the PL.
It does not work like that. Top managers will show their ability, irrespective of experience. Not like that decade of experience did anything for Moyes.

OldSchoolManc

Don't see McKenna moving right now. He'll want at least one year in the top flight with Ipswich before he considers moving on.
Either way, he’s now an Ipswich legend for leading them back to the top flight within two seasons.
If he stays and they get relegated, his stock drops.
I think it’s ripe time for him and United to consider it as they both have literally nothing to lose right now.

Teja

It would also be a big mistake to make, until he has had at least 1 year in the PL.
All the folks in this thread calling for his appointment will immediately be back out with pitch forks the moment we have a dip in form (and it's inevitable that it happens).

What we need is a bit of managerial legitimacy. We can't have the fans and more importantly the players questioning the manager as soon as things go a little bit south.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Realistically, he's not going to cut it in the Premier League if he stays at Ipswich. Now is the time to make a move to a club where he can have access to the resources needed to maintain his winning momentum. I'd be all for him returning.
By that logic, we should all be on the Gareth "3 years in the PL" Southgate train.

next_number_seven

Indecision is a decision.

It'll be impossible to judge his performance next year anyway. All 3 promoted teams got relegated this year. The year before they all stayed up.

What's considered a good season for Ipswich?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
All the folks in this thread calling for his appointment will immediately be back out with pitch forks the moment we have a dip in form (and it's inevitable that it happens).

What we need is a bit of managerial legitimacy. We can't have the fans and more importantly the players questioning the manager as soon as things go a little bit south.
Exactly

idek2346

Not the right time...for him or for us. Most of the players that through him under the bus are still here.
A list of players who are no longer here: Matic, Bailly, Pogba, Telles, Dean Henderson, De Gea, Dan James, Elanga, Lingard, Cavani, Martial (gone summer), Fred, and Greenwood will be gone.

Just cause we have 1 or 3 players from that time doesn't mean they threw him under the bus.

Semper Fudge

Apt Tagline

How can you possibly know that? :confused:

Redstain

I'd be up for it, be better than Erik the blag.
Think that's the genuine issue, Erik has diminished his own value so drastically this season it's at a point where any manager would be an improvement if they get the basics right.

I still think it's a tall order for McKenna but it would be a travesty if Erik is kept on next season, better to roll the dice.

matsdf

I don't disagree, but there is no managerial legitimacy available out there. Not unless Zidane changes his mind.

idek2346

He's only 38 today but has been coaching since he was 22 so has plenty of experience.

He was first team coach under Jose, Rangnick and Ole, and has over 2.5 years at Ipswich so I wouldn't consider him inexperienced.

I'd be all for it.

I like ETH but it hasn't worked for him so it's better to have a new start. Too much negative energy around him now.
Spot on regarding McKenna. People are forgetting the years of experience he had as a youth manager, then 3 years ish as an assistant manager at United, and now he's done the back to back in the lower leagues. He is my pick to take this club forward under the new structure.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The reality is that Ipswich will be in the bottom third next season and then people will say he wasnt good enough.

Zoo

Realistically Ipswich are going straight back down without major investment. If he’s confident then would be for it though it would be a bit cruel on Ipswich fans

Teja

I don't disagree, but there is no managerial legitimacy available out there. Not unless Zidane changes his mind.
Tuchel's the obvious one right? If he falls out with the boardroom that's a different problem but the players seem to like him to the point that there's a player led campaign at Bayern to keep him around.

At the very least I won't question him even if we get smashed in the first 3 games of next season. Has enough pedigree for everyone to trust him for a year or two.

next_number_seven

Not getting relegated, comfortably staying up.
But if they don't invest much and get relegated, it doesn't make him a bad manager.

Eddie Howe got relegated with Bournemouth.

My point is that I don't think it's necessary to give him a year in the PL with Ipswich as he's already shown his talent.

Oldyella

The reality is that Ipswich will be in the bottom third next season and then people will say he wasnt good enough.
And when that happens, he might never get the opportunity again. So you can understand why he would take it of offered even if it is a little early.

next_number_seven

Tuchel's the obvious one right? If he falls out with the boardroom that's a different problem but the players seem to like him to the point that there's a player led campaign at Bayern to keep him around.

At the very least I won't question him even if we get smashed in the first 3 games of next season. Has enough pedigree for everyone to trust him for a year or two.
Emery or Luis Enrique would be good appointments I think.

leontas

Would not mind taking a chance on him rather than going for Southgate (or keeping ten Hag).

Munkehboi

And when that happens, he might never get the opportunity again. So you can understand why he would take it of offered even if it is a little early.
I'd like to think there will be plenty of top clubs in for him still. At the end of the day, we have to convince him to join us. I've heard people say he's a Man Utd fan but frankly that dosent mean a lot in a professional capacity and from everything I've seen and heard of him, he's very professional. Im not certain younger managers/players feel that we are even that special anymore and that's because we really aren't that special. Sure we have financial clout but things could chnage with the new spending cap rules coming in. If anything, INEOS should be able to sell the project to him better than before they came in. He's also just turned 38. He could easily have another 30 years in him. I think he'll have plenty of opportunities to come here as long as he is successful elsewhere.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I would like to see him here, we need to be recognising talent and chasing it, signing the very best young players rather than old heroes past their best for example. He has worked here in a coaching role before, was highly regarded by those well qualified to assess coaches, he has gone away and done well. Unless one of the 2-3 very best managers in the world are available I would be happy to see him here. Some of those being touted in the media horrify me, Southgate for example. McKenna over Southgate every day of the week for me.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think he’d have to work like Arteta, learn on the job whilst largely recruiting younger players. It would be an actual project manager in the sense that I wouldn’t expect great things for the first couple of years. I’d take him but I don’t know if the fan base in general would have the patience needed for it to work.

flameinthesun

If (and big if) we let Ten Hag go then im all for bringing him in. There is nothing he will learn from managing Ipswich in the prem that he has not already learnt being the first team coach for United If he is keen on the role and the role is open we should go for him. If he fails his stock will still be high with the likes of Ipswich level teams, if the opportunity appears and he doesn't take it he may never get the chance again. The most sensible replacement if Ten Hag was to leave.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
If (and big if) we let Ten Hag go then im all for bringing him in. There is nothing he will learn from managing Ipswich in the prem that he has not already learnt being the first team coach for United If he is keen on the role and the role is open we should go for him. If he fails his stock will still be high with the likes of Ipswich level teams, if the opportunity appears and he doesn't take it he may never get the chance again. The most sensible replacement if Ten Hag was to leave.
I’m a little biased, but you could equally say if he takes on a massive job too early , and fails, he may never get the chance again. Look at potter.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He should stay at Ipswich next season

Red00012

I'm willing to bet my account on redcafe that we won't go for him this summer. Not a chance that we'll go for him this early, and I think if he has any sense he'd have at least a season with Ipswich.
Have to agree, No chance this is happening.
Plus it’s managerial suicide for McKenna

city-puma

As much as I love the idea to get him in, I simply feel it won’t happen next season. He probably feels he has unfinished mission there. It’s a huge challenge for Ipswich to stay in EPL. He can get it done and leave on high.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

This has always been grassisalwaysgreener.net

kaku06

Vulgarian
The dickheads we have in our dressing room would swallow him without dressing. McKenna won’t be able to do anything what he has done at Ipswich. To do that we have to rid of players like Rashford who are at the moment bigger than any manager even the club.

The Irish Connection

Yeah, feck it I’d be up for it. With the momentum he has at the moment the potential is there to do a Xabi Alonso.
With Tuchel you kind of know what you’re going to get and Southgate is a big no.
Can always try him and keep an eye for other world class options.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Its all relative, even a Scottish manager who had won the League title with Aberdeen and a Conference League wouldn't have unanimous backing.

What he has done with our 18's, being part of a coaching staff that flirted with success in Europe, then going away to forge his own path in being a head coach and not being content to sit it out under a respected figure in Rangnick. Revitalising a fallen club to the top division in a little over 24 months all speaks incredibly well of him.

Proper structure in place, 2 years of complete tear down and rebuild and then judge properly from the 3rd. It's going to be tough going but we've been half in half out on rebuilding, we need to go full hog.