Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

macheda14

And a whole new one like who's going to score goals? We've seen season what happens when we don't create or score enough. It's alright getting rid of people but we still need players to play and score.
Would be a good point if Rashford was still scoring.

luke511

And a whole new one like who's going to score goals? We've seen season what happens when we don't create or score enough. It's alright getting rid of people but we still need players to play and score.
We’ve also seen this season how damaging Rashford can be to the game plan, giving away possession over and over in the final third leaving us open for the counter. That along with his half arsed attitude, we’re better off selling him and replacing him. The goals will come when we have more playmakers in the side, a lot of this season that responsibility has fallen solely on Bruno, if he has a bad game then we’re screwed.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It's different being the main man though, a lot of the scrutiny would've been at Ole and the players in his time here. He knows to expect it but actually being able to manage it is another thing.

Outside of knowing the club well, could you argue that he's much more qualified than say Graham Potter? Potter has done very well in lower leagues and even at Brighton but was not quite ready to step up to the big time.

Bear in mind also that McKenna is not a club legend like Ole, he probably won't come in with that instant respect or admiration.

A good coach but is he ready to step up 3 or 4 levels already?
I also wouldn't mind Potter, the point is more than Arteta wasn't ready for Arsenal when he went in, it is something he has grown into and the management of the club allowed him to grow into it in a football world where the ready made options are not available to us for various reasons, we have to be prepared as a club, fan base and all, to let the process grow naturally.

We aren't in an easy fix situation and we have to be honest with ourselves, we have a squad age profile that is all over the place and a lot of players either too injured or too unsuited ability wise. Picking a young head coach (could be anyone) who have done a good amount to prove themselves so far and the new club football structure backing them and leaving them to do what they do best (coach) is the only way out of the hole we are in.

luke511

He’s 20/1 to be next manager on Betvictor, well worth a slap if you have a fresh account.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
What is exactly his style of play? Hopefully, it's something modern attacking football type?
A lot of his style is about variation depending on the opposition, but I’d say
- usually (80% maybe) of the time we play 4 at the back
- he’s keen (but not completely wedded to) playing out from the back.
-sees full backs as an attacking weapon
-primarily (though not always) uses our centre mids defensively, often filling the gap created by an overlapping full back
- in general creating overloads (this is the key bit. It’s created so so many chances to score in the last two seasons) as much as possible.
- At least one of the strikers should be prepared to go wide and the other (more of your classic ‘big man’ to stay centrally.
- fitness; we’ve outrun almost everyone I think.

But as I say it’s having a squad that can vary how they play, and persuading the players to buy into that, that I think has been key for us.

Yakuza_devils

-primarily (though not always) uses our centre mids defensively, often filling the gap created by an overlapping full back
- in general creating overloads (this is the key bit. It’s created so so many chances to score in the last two seasons) as much as possible.
- At least one of the strikers should be prepared to go wide and the other (more of your classic ‘big man’ to stay centrally.

But as I say it’s having a squad that can vary how they play, and persuading the players to buy into that, that I think has been key for us.
Thanks. It sounds like an attacking, hard working and tactical flexible team. It's good to know what to expect if he become our manager.

Green55

Would love to see McKenna come back - just don't know whether now is the best time with the turmoil around the club.

He might be well able to deal with any flack that comes his way, we don't really know his traits / capabilities but there no doubt he is a very talented coach.

Under Mou / Ole + Ralf he would have been taking direction from them without being able to implement his own ideas. Prior to this he did very well with the youngsters presumably having full control.

I was expecting so much more from ETH as I thought we'd managed to get the best up and coming coach in Europe. I'd be really surprised if we kept him on next year particularly after we've seemingly broken every negative record in the book.

I just can't understand how he continues to set us up in the same manner every game such that we are overrun by almost everyone we come across since last March. It has literally sapped the enjoyment out of watching the games. Any competent coach should surely be able to adapt their in-game tactics accordingly but he just seems incapable. We're not the only team having horrendous luck with injuries - he should be able to adapt his tactics to suit the players available, simple as.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You would absolutely all Graham Potter him out of a job, and any big job ever again, within 6 months.
After being rewarded handsome compensation though. Depends if dreams can be buy for him

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
The more I think about this more I think it’s worth taking the risk. Make no mistake it is a risk but so were people like Arteta, Pep, Zidane who who were also assistants before getting the big job immediately.

McKenna already knows the pressures at this club, he’s experienced it. He would know which players caused problems in the past. He would know the demands of the premier league as well.

He’s overperforming on a tight budget and that’s the type of manager we should look for.

criticalanalysis

Do you think he's good at managing a defence? Is your team able to suffocate and stifle teams at will (I'm not talking about the full 90 mins of course but being able to control important moments) whether through pressing, possession or sitting back?

Forgive my ignorance as I've not watched Ipswich but I'd be worried about a weak underbelly, if the players aren't good enough/face tougher opposition or there are injuries to major players in the way I see Ange at Spurs or Zerbi at Brighton have seen suffered this season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Brighton to develop him for a few years for us, please and thank you :drool:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why would he go there?
His stock won't get any higher at Ipswich next season unless he keeps them up, which seems a very daunting task given that a lot of their squad is still made up of League One level players

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
It's a stable job within a good structure. He goes down with Ipswich after next season, their owners might not want to stick with him.
Sounds like the structure at Ipswich is pretty, good, and Brighton, albeit they play decent football, are not a major contender for champions league, so I would be very surprised if he went there.

pascell

Sounds like the structure at Ipswich is pretty, good, and Brighton, albeit they play decent football, are not a major contender for champions league, so I would be very surprised if he went there.
He doesn't have to get them CL, just European football for the next season would be a good achievement, given how they've performed this season.

Skills

Snitch
Brightons actually the perfect job to take this summer. Brighton have underachieved this season, and they had to navigate losing 2/3 of their midfield as well (and arguably their 2 best players).

They're naturally going to have a bit of a bounce back next season, and he could ride that wave while he's adapts to the PL too. I think staying at Ipswich would be a poor choice in terms of trajectory and momentum that he's build in the last 2 years.

If he's genuinely going to be a top level player, surviving relegation scraps is not what will be useful. It'll coaching clubs that try and impose themselves on games - and Brighton actually have the talent/resources to do that

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
His stock won't get any higher at Ipswich next season unless he keeps them up, which seems a very daunting task given that a lot of their squad is still made up of League One level players
So perhaps he fancies challenging himself, as well as his players, to adapt quickly to premier league football, and to see if his ideas work in that environment?
I would love to see him back at Old Trafford, but I think he'll stay at Ipswich another season at least.
He doesn't have to get them CL, just European football for the next season would be a good achievement, given how they've performed this season.
Maybe so, but I would be surprised if he joined Brighton.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Tbh he's gonna be able to get midtable Prem jobs in future regardless of how this Ipswich season goes. If he sticks there and does exceptionally well, he could skip the intermediate step and get top clubs interested with less compensation as a barrier to leaving.

Lee565

Why would they sack potch when things are actually starting to click?

The Firestarter

Makes no sense. Didn’t Chelsea have a very good 2nd half to the season, only bettered by City and Arsenal?

They just managed to steady things and started looking up, why would they rock the boat again?
Their boss being a total moron might be one option.