Left arm up, right arm up, or both arms up - do we know what these signals at corners actually mean, and do players in the box take any notice?

There are only really 3 signals a corner taker can give. Left arm up, right are up, and both arms up.

do players actually take any notice of these signals from the corner taker? Does the opposition know what these signals are?

Or is it simply something that the corner taker does out of habit - and it actually means nothing?!

we never score from corners - so perhaps we need some better signals from the corner taker. Stand on one foot, run your belly, run your belly whilst patting your head. Surely we can be more innovative?

Anustart89

According to the Peter Crouch podcast one arm up is always near post and two arms up is always back post.

Anustart89

is it not pretty pointless if everyone (both teams) knows what’s going to happen?
You'd think so. On the other hand, it's not designed to trick the defenders, it's designed to show the attackers which runs they should make from their starting positions.

Minkaro

Left arm up is “we’re not scoring this one,”
Right arm up is “we’re not scoring this one,”
Both arms up is “we’re not scoring this one.”

Easy to remember.

FreddieTheReddie

I wanted to ask how the corner taker decides which type to do? Do they discuss it previously or he just looks at the position of players and decides where to aim?

rpitchfo

I’ve said it before I’ll say it again. Nobody scores from corners. It’s statistically very unlikely based on all the research that has been done. It does not give a reasonable advantage to the attacking team based on earning the corner in the first place as far as I’m concerned. It wouldn’t surprise me if your more likely to concede from the resultant play of a corner rather than score from one.

they need to come up with something new.