Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
What really surprised me is how tall he is.

He looks like an absolute tall tank similar to Brantwaithe & it's made me believe that we might be targeting Yoro & Brantwaithe because they are exceptionally tall, physical with good ability on the ball & yet two ways of defending a bit like Rio & Vidic or Smalling & Blind. Brantwaithe gets on the floor and slide tackles, Yoro is more on his feet and better on the ball as well whilst both are great in the air with their heading capability.

I reckon our next season defenders will be

RCB - Yoro, Maguire (depending on offers), Willy
LCB - Martinez & Brantwaithe

We will plan to sell Lindelof ahead of Maguire but will be open to moving Maguire on. Still unsure if Willy's quality so i reckon he will continue as a back up until we decide to move him on or offer a new contract if its not been done already.

Immensely physical defence.

It does seem like a Madrid move to make.

They've got Alaba, Militao, Rudiger and Nacho (who's contract is about to expire).

Alaba has had a lot of injuries. Militao is a bit dodgy.

Bit of a short memory, as he was generally regarded as one of the best CB’s in the world prior to his lengthy injury lay-off.

Bit of a short memory, as he was generally regarded as one of the best CB’s in the world prior to his lengthy injury lay-off.
He's a very good CB. Don't know if one of the best CB's in the world, but he's fast, rangy and can play well from the back.

But his injury was no joke and it will take him a while to regain that form. Alaba's injury was even worse.

He looks like an absolute tall tank similar to Brantwaithe & it's made me believe that we might be targeting Yoro & Brantwaithe because they are exceptionally tall, physical with good ability on the ball & yet two ways of defending a bit like Rio & Vidic or Smalling & Blind. Brantwaithe gets on the floor and slide tackles, Yoro is more on his feet and better on the ball as well whilst both are great in the air with their heading capability.

We will plan to sell Lindelof ahead of Maguire but will be open to moving Maguire on. Still unsure if Willy's quality so i reckon he will continue as a back up until we decide to move him on or offer a new contract if its not been done already.

No way we're looking at both - huge expenditure as well as Branthwaite not coming just to be depth.

Young CB with massive potential that would be great. Would love to get us another striker that is young and quick that could play on the right as well someone like Maximilian Beier.

He's a very good CB. Don't know if one of the best CB's in the world, but he's fast, rangy and can play well from the back.

But his injury was no joke and it will take him a while to regain that form. Alaba's injury was even worse.

I think Ancelotti labelled him as the world’s best just before his injury this time last year. That’s not to say what Ancelotti said is correct, but was probably a fairly reasonable representation of his standing in the game at the time. I agree, it will take him a while to regain his form and he’s had some iffy performances since his return, albeit he’s only played a very limited number of minutes.

They’re probably a CB short, however, given Nacho is likely off and as mentioned above Rudiger and Alaba are 30+. That CB probably would have to be a young prospect though, given the other 3 would all hope/expect to be first choice when fit.

I think Ancelotti labelled him as the world’s best just before his injury this time last year. That’s not to say what Ancelotti said is correct, but was probably a fairly reasonable representation of his standing in the game at the time. I agree, it will take him a while to regain his form and he’s had some iffy performances since his return, albeit he’s only played a very limited number of minutes.

They’re probably a CB short, however, given Nacho is likely off and as mentioned above Rudiger and Alaba are 30+. That CB probably would have to be a young prospect though, given the other 3 would all hope/expect to be first choice when fit.

Its Madrid, they need someone now, Saliba is the one they should be going for.

If the only option was to sign him with a £70m release clause attached, would people go for it?

How do you mean, sign him and have a release clause in his contract so he can join Real Madrid if he fullfills his potential? That would depend on how much we'd get him for. No point in signing a young player for Real Madrid's future unless he's great stop-gap in the here-and-now and we'd make a lot of money.

There are quite a few promising players in his position around. We need to be building a team here, with a positive and hungry culture, not some half-assed mercenaries with their mind elsewhere. That being said, it's tricky to take things at face value, in terms of what's being reported.

If the only option was to sign him with a £70m release clause attached, would people go for it?

I mean, technically City did something similar with Haaland, so there is definitely precedence with top talent even at big clubs (teams). That said, I wouldn’t be in favour, and even if I was, the clause would need to be a lot higher than 70m too. I believe the clause in Haaland’s contract was/is about £160m. It also didn’t become active until after a certain number of seasons.

Yes, if thats double what we pay for him. If you have faith in yourself you'd sign him then sign a replacement with the extra money.

I have no faith in our transfer department though. I'd take having him here for a couple of seasons even if we did sell him on for that amount a few seasons later. That fee means he was great in the time he was here

Its Madrid, they need someone now, Saliba is the one they should be going for.
Very surprised they have not looked at Saliba. I know he might be expensive but you would think they have tapped him up for 1-2 years and slowing seen him force his way out. He is arguably the best young defender currently.

What can be offer that Madrid (the best team in the world) can’t? Minutes. He will be a starter for us, and we can also sell him the prospect of being key in returning Manchester United to its rightful place as one of the best teams in the world

What can be offer that Madrid (the best team in the world) can’t? Minutes. He will be a starter for us, and we can also sell him the prospect of being key in returning Manchester United to its rightful place as one of the best teams in the world
One visit to the Real Madrid training ground and we've lost him. How many other clubs have individual hotel rooms for the first team at the training ground?

https://x.com/YashRMFC/status/1799064602539642908?t=3b5ehLuG3TvwIVLJ9F5zjw&s=19

One visit to the Real Madrid training ground and we've lost him. How many other clubs have individual hotel rooms for the first team at the training ground?

https://x.com/YashRMFC/status/1799064602539642908?t=3b5ehLuG3TvwIVLJ9F5zjw&s=19

that's nice to have for sure but also would make me wonder wtf do i need a hotel room at the training ground? how late do they plan on keeping me there? am i supposed to hang out in the hotel room if we are having two a day training sessions?

that's nice to have for sure but also would make me wonder wtf do i need a hotel room at the training ground? how late do they plan on keeping me there? am i supposed to hang out in the hotel room if we are having two a day training sessions?
I’d assume it’s probably to optimise that rest period in between those 2 to 3 per day sessions and probably for anyone who wants to stay over and be there for training the next morning - for whatever reason. But yeah, seems like much more of a “nice to have” and not really integral. I guess these are what state of the art facilities are like these days.

Not comparing apples to apples here but the last French teenager who had a lot of hype playing lots of first team minutes went to Madrid in Camavinga. Playing over 1.8k minutes for Madrid in the league in a season they did the double is proof enough that was a success.

I think he's something of a young Ferdinand in that he can defend and he's also comfortable on the ball, but he's perhaps a tall stringy lad who is going to get stronger in the future and be able to use a larger frame better with more experience. I think Branthwaite might be a bit stronger and win the ball more from the opposition attack now but Yoro is better bringing the ball out of defence and evading pressure with quicker feet. They'd be a good but very expensive combination

Nacho played 17 games for Madrid at CB, yes due to injuries to Militao and Alaba but the point is this season he would have got those minutes so theres reason enough to think he'd play next to Rudiger. And like with our players who couldnt stay fit this season, nothing says that has to stop just because its the end of the season. It may continue and I'd imagine when you've just won the double you have the luxury of building your squad to account for that.

Nacho is 34 I'm sure they'd be happy to move him on if they got someone like Yoro in. Rudiger is 31 so it also makes sense to be getting youth ready for a couple years down the line so they are already strong and stable for when they need a new partner.

I don’t even want to board this train, I’m sure there was a point last season where Madrid were supposed to not be interested but given they way they’ve recruited over the last 10 years this has a no brainer written all over it. Plus there is a strong French presence at Madrid and we’ll one of them is Mbappe.

Just to me seems like the perfect match and I wouldn’t be shocked if Yoro just waited for the move next year on a free. I like him but i don’t see how we get this done. Would be fantastic if we could for a decent price, nothing too crazy either.

All of the big clubs? like, it's not something unique or even uncommon?

All of the big clubs? like, it's not something unique or even uncommon?
I didnt know of any other clubs other than Madrid doing this. I think I read somewhere that City have done the same following Madrids idea. But can't be sure.

The only reason he would come is that we can offer the same platform that Ronaldo had. He can come to united, get the minutes and we sell to Madrid for a profit once he is ready to take the next step. That’s the reality of where we are at the moment. We can either be a feeder Club for Madrid or a club where it’s stars come to retire. I rather be the first one.

The only reason he would come is that we can offer the same platform that Ronaldo had. He can come to united, get the minutes and we sell to Madrid for a profit once he is ready to take the next step. That’s the reality of where we are at the moment. We can either be a feeder Club for Madrid or a club where it’s stars come to retire. I rather be the first one.

If you use ‘at the moment’, then there’s no Ronaldo comparison to make. The implication is that we are a poor team now and players all ultimately want to get to Madrid. That was not the case with Ronaldo. We were better than Madrid at the time in fact, and a trophy-winning machine.

Madrid are just Madrid. As big as United are, Madrid are a different level, whether United are playing well or not.

I didnt know of any other clubs other than Madrid doing this. I think I read somewhere that City have done the same following Madrids idea. But can't be sure.
Every club that can afford rooms in their training ground has them. Which means pretty much every top flight side across the top 5 leagues

Of course, the richer clubs have better accomodations

Every club that can afford rooms in their training ground has them. Which means pretty much every top flight side across the top 5 leagues

Of course, the richer clubs have better accomodations

Indeed. When you read interviews where you hear a player was ‘sometimes sleeping at the training around’, they didn’t mean on the benches!

Toro and Branthwaite as a partnership looks tasty because I like my defenders big and intimidating. I'm a fan of Martinez too, but I would try to find another position for him.

Toro and Branthwaite as a partnership looks tasty because I like my defenders big and intimidating. I'm a fan of Martinez too, but I would try to find another position for him.

Martinez is both a great defender, carrier & great ball player aswell - he has played CDM before but im unsure about his press resistance (should be good though)

So I'd love for him to play the '3rd False CB' role that Amrabat was playing in the last few games - where he pretty much shielded the defence by becoming a third defender when needed but not so high up the pitch to just be a sole CDM.

Having a false CB allows us to go from a back 2,a back 3 and a back 5 primarily depending on the intensity of the opposition attack and the movement of our CDM and fullbacks.

Yoro - Brantwaithe
Dalot-Martinez-Shaw

Dalot-Yoro -Martinez- Brantwaithe-Shaw​

Likewise a False 9 (something we also saw in the last few games) allows us to switch from a front 2 to a front 3 to a front 5 depending on our False 9's position and the position of our fullbacks likewise.

This is what imo makes a full transitional team, to play a false diamond with a false 9 at the top of the diamond alongside a False CB at the bottom of the diamond.

I felt like Ten Hag found this out right at the end of season 2 - there's a possibility we might see this next year if Ineos decide to stick with Ten Hag but take control of all the transfers; which again doesn't seem too unpredictable considering his transfer history.

Last edited:
Martinez is both a great defender, carrier & great ball player aswell - he has played CDM before but im unsure about his press resistance (should be good though)

So I'd love for him to play the '3rd False CB' role that Amrabat was playing in the last few games - where he pretty much shielded the defence by becoming a third defender when needed but not so high up the pitch to just be a sole CDM.

Having a false CB allows us to go from a back 2,a back 3 and a back 5 primarily depending on the intensity of the opposition attack and the movement of our CDM and fullbacks.

Yoro - Brantwaithe
Dalot-Martinez-Shaw

Dalot-Yoro -Martinez- Brantwaithe-Shaw​

Likewise a False 9 (something we also saw in the last few games) allows us to switch from a front 2 to a front 3 to a front 5 depending on our False 9's position and the position of our fullbacks likewise.

This is what imo makes a full transitional team, to play a false diamond with a false 9 at the top of the diamond alongside a False CB at the bottom of the diamond.

I felt like Ten Hag found this out right at the end of season 2 - there's a possibility we might see this next year if Ineos decide to stick with Ten Hag but take control of all the transfers; which again doesn't seem too unpredictable considering his transfer history.
some of you lot play way too much FIFA

some of you lot play way too much FIFA

I don't play either this or FM.

Whilst it is my favourite tactic.

Ten Hag utelised Bruno Fernandes as a False 9 in the last 3 or 4 games & Amrabat was playing much deeper almost in line with the defence to basically win the ball back deep. He was not playing the same way as Casemiro has been as a CDM neither behind or next to Mainoo - Amrabat was more in line, just in front of the defensive line than playing as a pure CDM which he had done earlier in the season with poor performances

Come on INEOS go out and get him before Real if you want to try and win over a few doubters

Who do Utd need more?
Yoro is supposedly a wonderkid phenom CB. David is 24 with good but not great numbers. I envisage the former ends up at a Manchester United, Real Madrid level club* and the latter ends up a tier below those in the market.

* in terms of prestige and pull. We are obviously not close to Madrid on pitch level stuff these days!

Hopefully we can sign Yoro as he looks like a fantastic prospect, although if Madrid are in for him then we've got our work cut out for us.

As far as David is concerned, he's put up decent numbers in France but whenever I've watched him for Lille and Canada - which admittedly is not very often - he hasn't looked impressive at all. I''m not sure if that's because I've only ever caught him on his off days, or it's because his overall game isn't that impressive when he's not scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.