Lindelof at left-back

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Why did we loan Alvaro Fernandez? Surely we could have used him this season.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Lindelof is totally ill-equipped to play the position and it's mind-boggling that is the solution ETH has come up with in the absence of Shaw and the defunct Malacia. However, he has shown himself to be a bit dim and usually obvious things hit him a lot later than they should. It was same with first telling everyone that Varane cannot play on the left, then playing him on the left and then finally realizing that Maguire has more experience playing as a LCB and should be used there.

Hopefully, it'll hit him soon that it is better to play Dalot, who has played the position multiple times before, on the left and use either Lindelof or Willy as right back. Or another solution could be going 3 at the back given that we have 5 CB's still available. We can use Garnacho as a LWB and play 3412 with Rashford and Amad/Antony up top or may be use Antony as LWB and use Rashford and Garnacho/Amad up top. It would also help Rashford, who is not capable as a lone striker. Could also help us be more solid in the middle and prevent the opposition an easy route to our goal.

Last edited:

Crimson King

It should be Dalot at LB and literally anyone else at RB. Lindelof, Amrabat, Kambwala, fecking McTominay, doesn't matter.

Dalot has actually played the position, and having an actual right footer on the right will mean they might be able to actively help in attack.

I'd also start Evans over Maguire. He's probably no slower than Harry and better on the ball. Although, I think they'll both play and he'll rest Varane against NF.

Ekeke

Well, that was one individual involvement. You can't judge the game performance on that. That the subsequent corner led to the goal is neither here nor there, it doesn't make the mistake any bigger.

The goal was something of a collective failure I think. That was about the third time Fulham used the exact same option, and yet no one seemed to be prepared for it. Maguire, Lindelof and Varane were all pretty passive there.
Someone who is defensively solid at leftback isnt caught out of position and making little effort to get back after making a frustrated gesture. Thats exactly what you dont get from someone solid defensively at leftback

Craig Ward

The fact that we have a 2 players who can play the position out on loan and no recognised LB fit is pretty abysmal from us.

The obvious play is Dalot at LB, who isn't exactly amazing there but certainly better than Lindelof.

Lindelof is an error prone CB, best years behind him. He just cannot play the position.

Letting Reguilon go was clearly a mistake

Dan_F

It makes more sense to play at right back, at least he’s played in that position previously. Theoretically he’d be more useful at passing out and crossing on that side too.

If we have to play him at left back then he should just defend and stop trying to overlap. I felt like my eyes were going to start bleeding every time Lindelof was standing in front of Garnacho and putting his arms up in the air as if he was trying to move out of the way.

justsomebloke

Someone who is defensively solid at leftback isnt caught out of position and making little effort to get back after making a frustrated gesture. Thats exactly what you dont get from someone solid defensively at leftback
Yeah. That's one single situation.

Lee565

Lindelof is an awful option at fullback but there is pretty much no youth player anywhere near ready for that position

We got rid of them all - Fernandez, Williams, Laird, Jurado

I'd say Amrabat was a better emergency option but still pretty bad

This why getting rid of Reguilon without a replacement was a bad move
Things like this sum up ten hag the mess ten hag has made of dealing with transfers/loans in and out of the club, Sir Jim needs his head seeing to if he gives ten hag a say on summer transfer business

NoPace

The fact that we have a 2 players who can play the position out on loan and no recognised LB fit is pretty abysmal from us.

The obvious play is Dalot at LB, who isn't exactly amazing there but certainly better than Lindelof.

Lindelof is an error prone CB, best years behind him. He just cannot play the position.

Letting Reguilon go was clearly a mistake
The real issue is that we have no backup for Lisandro. The way most teams play with an injury crisis at fullback is to move their most mobile CB on that side over to fullback and you can always have the opposite fullback play a bit higher when you have the ball.

With all the injuries, we should look like this:

----------------------------------Dalot
LCB-Maguire-Varane--------

and I guess the LCB would be someone like Hincapie, Kiwior or Salisu. Basically Lindelof should have been sold last summer for 15-20M to some Serie A side, and the money spent on a new left-footed backup for Lisandro.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
OK, so Shaw and Malacia out for the remainder of the season. I think this needs better thinking immediately.

In order, here's what I'd prefer:

Dalot on the left until AWB is fit (might be in time for Liverpool)?
Back 5 with wing-backs?
Give Amass a chance despite his tender years?
Antony at full-back?

SER19

OK, so Shaw and Malacia out for the remainder of the season. I think this needs better thinking immediately.

In order, here's what I'd prefer:

Dalot on the left until AWB is fit (might be in time for Liverpool)?
Back 5 with wing-backs?
Give Amass a chance despite his tender years?
Antony at full-back?
id go with amass. never seen him play, throwing him in at deep end, but there'd in many ways be less pressure on him than any other time to introduce as everybody recognizes its a freak call up rather than expecting him to be 'ready'. we cant keep playing players out of position and there's no way he'd offer less than lindelof going forward.

OleGunnar20

id go with amass. never seen him play, throwing him in at deep end, but there'd in many ways be less pressure on him than any other time to introduce as everybody recognizes its a freak call up rather than expecting him to be 'ready'. we cant keep playing players out of position and there's no way he'd offer less than lindelof going forward.
Agreed. He doesn't look 'ready' but he's definitely a very talented lad. I'd much rather see him getting minutes than known dreadful quantities in Lindeof or Amrabat.

Malone_Post

Surely it would make more sense to put Dalot at LB and Lindelof at RB if he’s determined to play Victor? Because he’s absolutely brutal on the left.

Irwin99

Season is nearly fecked already but the best case scenario is AwB comes back and stays fit and we then shift Dalot to the left for the rest of the season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Season is nearly fecked already but the best case scenario is AwB comes back and stays fit and we then shift Dalot to the left for the rest of the season.
I don't know about that one. There are like 4 players doing well this season and you want to move one of them out of their preferred position?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd at least like to see him on the bench. It seems the conclusively failed experiment of Lindelof at left-back continues.

Ekeke

1) The manager likes and trusts Lindelof and Amrabat. This is a problem because they've been garbage but its how it is

2) One of the reasons other than the above must be that they dont want a 16 year old with barely any under 21s league experience be blamed for mistakes in the first team. I can see that point of view for sure but its also not showing much faith that he has the character to do the job. And if you're picking someone out of position at fullback because you dont want a young player to be blamed when you play poorly then you have a lot of problems - like knowing we're going to play bad - and will likely not stay on as manager

SER19

I'd at least like to see him on the bench. It seems the conclusively failed experiment of Lindelof at left-back continues.
1) The manager likes and trusts Lindelof and Amrabat. This is a problem because they've been garbage but its how it is

2) One of the reasons other than the above must be that they dont want a 16 year old with barely any under 21s league experience be blamed for mistakes in the first team. I can see that point of view for sure but its also not showing much faith that he has the character to do the job. And if you're picking someone out of position at fullback because you dont want a young player to be blamed when you play poorly then you have a lot of problems - like knowing we're going to play bad - and will likely not stay on as manager
lindelof out to prove everybody wrong today :lol: hardly world beating but looks better at least

HJ12

Nice to see that he's been noticeably strong in his challenges today.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
lindelof out to prove everybody wrong today :lol: hardly world beating but looks better at least
One on one he's fine, and he's nicely aggressive and wins the ball back a few times today. That's not the issue, the issue is in possession and playing out from the back.

SER19

One on one he's fine, and he's nicely aggressive and wins the ball back a few times today. That's not the issue, the issue is in possession and playing out from the back.
Ya left back a priority more so than right due to shaws fitness

cyril C

It should be Dalot at LB and literally anyone else at RB. Lindelof, Amrabat, Kambwala, fecking McTominay, doesn't matter.

Dalot has actually played the position, and having an actual right footer on the right will mean they might be able to actively help in attack.

I'd also start Evans over Maguire. He's probably no slower than Harry and better on the ball. Although, I think they'll both play and he'll rest Varane against NF.
Dalot's passing with his right foot, is about the only bright spot of our entire defensive line. Only a fit Shaw can offer something similar (with his left foot)